Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Is it more safe to manual install the .deb file then installing from test?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
MrBW

Is it more safe to manual install the .deb file then installing from test?

#1 Post by MrBW »

I want to keep my system as "stable2 as possible, but I need the package virt-top which only exist in test.

I see two options:

1: Adding test to the repository-file and install the package with apt install ---target-release test virt-top. I'm afraid there is a risk of installing to many dependent packages from test and/or make to many changes on my system.

2: Download the .deb file and install it manually with dpkg -i file.deb. It will in the end complain about dependencies, but I seem to be able to fix that with apt-get install -fix-broken (test is not added to the repository file).

Is it correct that option 2 is more "safe" to the system overall. There is a change that the package might not work, but there is a less change of breaking the system overall, right?
(I did try this with virt-top and it worked very well, don't know if that will always be the case doing this procedure).

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Is it more safe to manual install the .deb file then installing from test?

#2 Post by CwF »

I would use Gdebi. Any dependencies out of release, download and gdebi them first, install the lowest dep's first.
Have you installed the Buster version yet? I'd start there.

Pay perfect attention to what you're doing.

kedaha

Re: Is it more safe to manual install the .deb file then installing from test?

#3 Post by kedaha »

Hi,
To quote the Newer_Software_For_Debian_Stable:
Backporting (recompiling and repackaging) is the only safe way to install packages from Debian Sid or Debian Testing on a Debian stable system. Do not install such packages without backporting.
That package can be backported, it seems quite easily, from testing to stable by using the SimpleBackportCreation how-to, but before dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc, I had to run dpkg-source --commit. But I haven't tried it on my server yet so I can't say more than that.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.