Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

File icon changed

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
usteveu

File icon changed

#1 Post by usteveu »

Something changed the icon of rar files. It used to be an image of a box now rar files are displaying a thumbnail of the archive. I'd like to revert back to the original. I can change an individual file back to the original icon thru the properties dialog but not system wide. (usr/share/icons/mate/48x48)

properties shows this: RAR archive (application/vnd.rar)

file command shows this:

Code: Select all

$ file --mime foo.rar
foo.rar: application/x-rar; charset=binary
mime types file:

$ grep 'rar' /etc/mime.types
application/rar					rar
I guess my question is how to get the original default icon back system wide?
Debian 10, Mate Desktop.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: File icon changed

#2 Post by canci »

There's an option in Caja, your file manager, to turn off previewing archive files or maybe just previews in general. Should be:

Edit - Preferences - Preview
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

usteveu

#3 Post by usteveu »

That works but also disables image thumbnails.

roseway

#4 Post by roseway »

Doesn't Mate have a configuration option for file associations? It may describe them as "Preferred Applications".
Eric

usteveu

#5 Post by usteveu »

Yes. There is Preferred applications in the settings menu. Engrampa is the archive manager. There's no setting for icon.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by canci »

Maybe you could try looking in dconf-editor whether Caja may have some secret flags for disabling this that are not present in the settings?

apt install dconf-editor
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

usteveu

#7 Post by usteveu »

Don't see anything there.

usteveu

#8 Post by usteveu »

For further clarification if it helps. This is only affecting "rar" files. All other file icons are normal (zip, pdf, jpg, png, etc). It seems that something corrupted or changed the icon behavior for rar. rar used the same icon as zip. The "select custom icon" dialog allows me to change a single file icon but it doesn't apply globally. Also it takes about 10 to 15 seconds for the properties dialog to open. Other files properties opens instantly.