Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to fix Debian 11 Cinnamon. After random features stopped working after reboot

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Yomama

How to fix Debian 11 Cinnamon. After random features stopped working after reboot

#1 Post by Yomama »

When I rebooted my computer after the keyboard stopped working. After booting the pc and logging in it did not log in. After rebooting my pc a few more times and trying to start the Xserver from the tty. I realized I needed to wait about 30 seconds. But after successfully logging in I tried to mount my second drive it said that I did not have authorization to mount it. But unlike the other times it did not prompt me to enter my password. But I fixed that by mounting it using the mount command. After that I noticed that when I tried to use Mpv it showed some numbers but did not load the video. The same thing happened with Yt-dlp. Also my sound buttons do not control the volume anymore, the sound applet disappeared from my panel after opening the sound options it did not show any output devices. But the speaker still plays sound like it used I just cannot control its volume.
Last edited by Yomama on 2021-11-27 17:21, edited 1 time in total.

Yomama

Re: Debian 11 Cinnamon. Random features stopped working after reboot

#2 Post by Yomama »

I also had some very large log files (45GB). After some investigation this was repeated over and over in daemon.log: systemd[1]: Condition check resulted in Forward Password Requests to Plymouth being skipped.
I would have checked the syslog but I forgot to check it and cleared it out.

NorthEast

Re: How to fix Debian 11 Cinnamon. After random features stopped working after reboot

#3 Post by NorthEast »

I also had some very large log files (45GB)
That is "very large" to say the least. You can limit the size of the systemd journal files at: /etc/systemd/journald.conf.
Consider the config variable: SystemMaxUse= . It can be set as low as 50M if you like.

There are other logfiles to consider in /var/log but I find that the systemd journal is by far the hungriest on my system.
Syslog seems more respectable for me anyway.

As for the media problems, I can't really help. I guess I'd check to see whether I had all the latest applications with dependencies satisfied.