Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Problem with hard disk partitioning

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
syntone

Problem with hard disk partitioning

#1 Post by syntone »

I've tried to make partitions on a new unformatted SATA hard disk. I used GParted Live image on CD media. First I have set boot menu settings to UEFI, Load Legacy OPROM is Off, secure boot disabled. First I specified main drive as GPT format. When make partitions, there was a lot of troubles. I created 'efi' partition 500MiB and set 'boot' and 'esp' flags. Then created swap partition 4GiB, '/' partition 30GiB, and the rest space '/home' ext4.
When tried to rename 'efi' partition - to set the new Label to '/boot/efi', the system hung up and becomes completely unresponsible, so I had turn Power Off manually. I then checked this partition table, but I don't whether it was created correctly or not. How to make sure, that it was created correctly? Gparted show there is used space on partitions in new empty disk: why??

p.s. For boot menu options: I'm not sure whether I can turn off "Load Legacy OPROM' option: it was enabled by default. Theclaptop originally came with Ubuntu preinstalled and BIOS Boot Mode. I also have Debian9 on external HDD which was formatted in BIOS mode, so I need it to be compatible with UEFI boot mode.

debian installer show:
Should I just to assign mount points and format data in these partitions?

skiwarz

Re: Problem with hard disk partitioning

#2 Post by skiwarz »

If I had to guess, I would say that having the two '/' in your label might cause an issue. The label is only a name for the partition, not a path. The mount point is set in your /etc/fstab. I don't know why it worked for / and /home, but try it without slashes ("root", "home", "efi").
As far as the "used space", my guess is that is for the filesystem structure. But I'm not familiar with gparted enough to know how it annotates that, if at all. Once you format them with a filesystem, everything will be fine.

For the bios piece: I believe it's motherboard dependent... Try disabling the legacy oprom and see if you can still boot your external hard drive. If not, it takes only a minute in the bios to re-enable it.