Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

User(s) are prompted to update packages

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
guice

User(s) are prompted to update packages

#1 Post by guice »

I have a user who logs in remotely. On a daily basis, he keeps getting prompted to enter the administrator password to update the packages. How do I stop this prompt from happening? I do not want to give him the admin account. He's logging in via gnome desktop.

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: User(s) are prompted to update packages

#2 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

Code: Select all

gsettings set org.gnome.software download-updates-notify false
https://www.reddit.com/r/debian/comment ... available/

I don't know if it is possible to modify this command so that an administrator can change the setting for a user. You might be able to log in as your user and change it for them?

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by canci »

This could be a command that's automatically started at login. You could created autostart configs and store them in /etc/skel . This way, every time a new user is created, the default configs from /etc/skel are copied to every new user's home directory. Of course, for the old users, you'd have to copy it manually. Gnome autostarts every programme that's stored as a .desktop file in ~/.config/autostart . So, just create a .desktop file that starts the gsettings command FreewheelinFrank provided and for new users, you could create /etc/skel/.config/autostart and copy the .desktop file there.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by canci »

This is what a .desktop file looks like:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Exec=/path/to/executable
Name=Name of Application
Icon=/path/to/icon
The command would go under Exec= . gsettings is probably in /usr/bin/
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

guice

#5 Post by guice »

Thanks, all. I created a .desktop file in within `~user/.config/autostart`. I'll ask him to try again and see if he still gets it.

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

You only need to run the command once and Gnome will update its settings database.

guice

#7 Post by guice »

For the record, it's still occurring. This is the prompt he keeps getting: https://imgur.com/a/oI6pCZw

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#8 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

I've seen that message on one of my computers when my daughter was logged in to my wife's account. I'm sure I did something trivial to fix it but I can't remember what at the moment. It hasn't happened again since then, so I don't think it's related to updates. Hopefully I'll recall what I did later on...

guice

#9 Post by guice »

I did more digging. Looks like it's related to Polkit: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-so ... issues/582. This solution appears to have finally fixed it: https://github.com/TurboVNC/turbovnc/is ... -594380673

Added `/etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/45-turbovnc-gnome3.pkla` with the contents:

[Eliminate GNOME 3 dialogs in TurboVNC]
Identity=unix-user:*
Action=org.freedesktop.color-manager.create-device;org.freedesktop.color-manager.create-profile;org.freedesktop.color-manager.delete-device;org.freedesktop.color-manager.delete-profile;org.freedesktop.color-manager.modify-device;org.freedesktop.color-manager.modify-profile;org.debian.pcsc-lite.access_pcsc;org.freedesktop.packagekit.system-sources-refresh
ResultAny=no
ResultInactive=no
ResultActive=yes
I don't seem to get the prompt anymore while logging in as him via Remote Desktop.