Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

upgrade from buster to bullseye, ungoogled-chromium on KDE, cannot save downloads

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
WizardNumberNext

upgrade from buster to bullseye, ungoogled-chromium on KDE, cannot save downloads

#1 Post by WizardNumberNext »

As per Subject
I have upgraded my laptop (Dell Latitude E6420, Intel i7-2760QM, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro NVS 4200M) from buster to bullseye just few days ago.
I have done such upgrade on all my devices (desktop - ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0, 2x Lenovo M93p tiny, Dell PowerEdge R715, and some Vitual Machines).
I am usualy running ungoogled chromium via X-Forwarding SSH to manage eBay and related shipments on laptop. I used to save and print irectly from laptop, while accessing via SSH X-Forwarding.
Now ungoogled-chromium 95 does not work for saving downloads. This may because of KDE and more agreesive upgrade removal I done.
I have similar setup on Lenovo M93p Tiny and saving works.
It seems now ungoogled-chromium on laptop is using KDE save dialog windows. It does not apear via SSH X-Forwarding.
Even if I would access laptop directly (localy, not remotely) I cannot save anything. I click on save, but no new file is created. It doesn't overwrite either.

I am lost for solution.
To "google" problem I would have to use far too many words and limited number of words gives me nothing close.
I have run into exactly one result, which seems to mention unable to save anything, but it mentions that extensions does not either. Mine extensions are working appart from AdBlock Plus, which blocks whole browser, so it is disabled for now.

WizardNumberNext

Re: upgrade from buster to bullseye, ungoogled-chromium on KDE, cannot save downloads

#2 Post by WizardNumberNext »

I have made exactly same installation between laptop, Lenovo and desktop.
Now all 3 ungoogled-chromium does not save any downloads and stopped to display PDFs.
It seems it is about some package, either missing or unnecessary and disturbing.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: upgrade from buster to bullseye, ungoogled-chromium on KDE, cannot save downloads

#3 Post by sunrat »

According to a currently running poll, 73% of board members use Firefox and no-one uses Ungoogled Chromium, so you may have to work this out yourself. Sorry.
Out of interest, I just downloaded and installed Ungoogled Chromium from OBS and confirm it doesn't seem to download anything. Removed it and reinstalled Chromium from Debian repo and download worked fine. I also use Bullseye KDE.
You should take this up with the developers by first checking the Issues on their Github to see if one exists, or open a new issue yourself if none exists.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

WizardNumberNext

#4 Post by WizardNumberNext »

I kept testing. Desktop works (updated at the same time as laptop) from my own mirror (so there could nothing change suddenly).
I have exactly same packages. Tried without any configuration and with configuration and 2 different users. It seems it is either architecture dependent or complete random. (Lenovo and laptop are Intel, desktop is AMD FX)
Security doesn't seems to affect this either, as I have had SELinux, Tomoyo and came back to AppArmor.

I seriously pity people, who use Firefox, add it is slow and inefficient (and opening either multiple YouTube tabs or restoring session will make load tabs at once, while chromium defers both and YouTube loads after activating tab)

I shall use all I have written here to try to report it directly to ungoogled chromium on github

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by sunrat »

WizardNumberNext wrote: 2021-12-06 00:19I seriously pity people, who use Firefox, add it is slow and inefficient
That's just not true. I've heard some people have problems with it but then I have serious problems with chromium. It can depend on your particular setup or even simple personal preference.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!