Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Any way to have Firefox ESR-91?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
fernandocesarpinto

Any way to have Firefox ESR-91?

#1 Post by fernandocesarpinto »

I've seen from Firefox 83 on (https://blog.mozilla.org/security/2020/ ... only-mode/), there is HTTPS-only mode, so extension HttpEverywhere (apt: webext-https-everywhere) is not needed anymore.

Latest Firefox ESR today is 91 (since beginning of August 2021). Is there a way to install it? Or is there a time-frame where expect stable repo will get it updated or anyone has news on that?

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Any way to have Firefox ESR-91?

#2 Post by sunrat »

“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

bw123

#3 Post by bw123 »

Why would you want to have that? Debian security team is pretty good at getting us new stuff. Higher ver number does NOT mean better
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian ... f_Syndrome
The reason that Debian Stable is so reliable is because software is extensively tested and bug-fixed before being included.
The reason that Debian Stable is so reliable is because software is extensively tested and bug-fixed before being included.

I use firefoxesr every day, I want it tested and verified, I don't want a newer version just because mozilla says so, I appreciate what debian security team does for me.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

fernandocesarpinto

#4 Post by fernandocesarpinto »

I believe also ESR is the right choice for the distro and was just asking if there are news regarding updates in the repos. I also believe, that like me, people posting a topic in this forum expect a community of serious people to be constructive and mature in their replies.

SoftwareRat

#5 Post by SoftwareRat »

bw123 wrote: 2021-12-05 14:56 Why would you want to have that? Debian security team is pretty good at getting us new stuff. Higher ver number does NOT mean better

I use firefoxesr every day, I want it tested and verified, I don't want a newer version just because mozilla says so, I appreciate what debian security team does for me.
Just the problem is, that Firefox ESR 78.15 is outdated and have more then 6 CVEs. See https://baronhk.wordpress.com/2021/11/1 ... gnu-linux/

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by canci »

SoftwareRat wrote: 2021-12-07 19:24
Not sure if Daniel Pocock or maxb...
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Post by sunrat »

canci wrote: 2021-12-07 20:31
Agreed. First time post just to spread FUD.
I fully trust the Debian Security team to keep on top of any issues. They actually have pushed a newer FF-ESR version in the past via security updates. I am sure they will do it again when it becomes essential.
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

Segfault

#8 Post by Segfault »

It is open source, you can build from source any version you desire. Mine is 95.0 at the moment.

craigevil

#9 Post by craigevil »

91 esr has been sitting in Unstable for a few days.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

ticojohn

#10 Post by ticojohn »

The team of Debian developers, mostly unpaid volunteers, work tirelessly to bring people a stable and secure Linux based OS. Their work is then used by many others to develop other Linux based OS's, which is to me a testament to the strength of Debian. I really don't understand why people choose to install Debian and then complain about how it doesn't have the latest and greatest software. Good thing I'm not a Spam Hunter because I would probably delete a lot of new the posts, maybe even some of my own. :mrgreen:
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

Marie SWE

#11 Post by Marie SWE »

Is it not possible to just open Firefox, then click on help... About firefox and then Check for new updates
I can upgrade firefox that way. :)

Edit
or you can download latest from Mozilla
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/91.4.0esr/
Why make things complicated in life, if you can make it easier for yourself... Do it. ;o)
You only have one life, so make the most of it and enjoy it while you can.

craigevil

#12 Post by craigevil »

1) Wait for it to move into Stable from Sid (keep in mind Debian Security backports security fixes)
2) Download directly from Mozilla
3) Use the flatpak or snap
4) Use the Ubuntuzilla method
5) Run Debian Unstable or a rolling release distro like Arch or Fedora

Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

SoftwareRat

#13 Post by SoftwareRat »

ticojohn wrote: 2021-12-08 13:56 The team of Debian developers, mostly unpaid volunteers, work tirelessly to bring people a stable and secure Linux based OS. Their work is then used by many others to develop other Linux based OS's, which is to me a testament to the strength of Debian. I really don't understand why people choose to install Debian and then complain about how it doesn't have the latest and greatest software. Good thing I'm not a Spam Hunter because I would probably delete a lot of new the posts, maybe even some of my own. :mrgreen:
It's not just "the latest and greatest", it has CVE's open and Debian Stable should have newest Firefox ESR for security fixes..

SoftwareRat

#14 Post by SoftwareRat »

Anyway, the attitude at Mozilla is getting worse by the minute. They make it difficult for LTS distributions to use native packaging to even carry Firefox ESR, and they even add spyware (“Firefox Suggest”).

Bulkley

#15 Post by Bulkley »

SoftwareRat wrote: 2021-12-08 18:05 Anyway, the attitude at Mozilla is getting worse by the minute.
If you don't like Firefox or have an issue with Mozilla then don't use it.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#16 Post by canci »

Bulkley wrote: 2021-12-09 03:51If you don't like Firefox or have an issue with Mozilla then don't use it.
Not sure if I should read your comment as naive or as insensitive ignorance. The web is de facto a Google monopsony. You have the choice between using Blink-based browsers, which are more and more basically run by Chromium; then you have Webkit based browsers, which unless you're using Safari, are either broken on many websites or insecure; and then you've got Firefox, which has with Gecko the only reliably working web engine that isn't Google or Apple owned or is a pretty minor web engine run by enthusiasts that can only render HTML4 or a bit of JavaScript (e.g. Netsurf).

But Mozilla is also mostly funded by Google ad revenue and has this rather odd identity crisis of whether it wants to be a foundation and champion of Internet privacy, while at the same time shoving products down my throat. In that sense, it's perfectly normal to be critical of Mozilla and a thought-terminating argument like: Well, just don't use it then! is a bit misplaced in this case. You could have just as well said: Well, don't use the tap water if you don't like the people who run it.

This is not to say that any of these conspiracy theories that we were able to read on these boards regarding Debian ESR packages allegedly not having all the security patches etc. are true. I'm convinced that Debian backports patches to the current ESR, even if that's not the currently supported Mozilla package. But to pretend that Firefox isn't a bloated crap show that we just accept because the only other similarly capable alternatives are using Chromium or Chrome, is a bit unfair. I've been on these forums since Debian Sarge and have witnessed the development of Firefox even earlier than that on Windows, ever since its pre-releases. Since version 4, you can steadily read complaints if you go back and search them about its bloat, weird UI decisions or jumping on that high version number count bandwagon that Google introduced with Chrome.

I'm a very visual person, yet somehow I opt for reading my favourite news sites in w3m in my terminal. The web is permanently broken and bloated, but Mozilla could have had a more mitigating role in that by building a strong and lean browser that shields us from all that bloat and crap. Instead I have to painstakingly manage hosts files and uBlock Origin so my CPUs don't run like they're running a modern 3D game.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#17 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

canci wrote: 2021-12-09 08:41
This is not to say that any of these conspiracy theories that we were able to read on these boards regarding Debian ESR packages allegedly not having all the security patches etc. are true. I'm convinced that Debian backports patches to the current ESR, even if that's not the currently supported Mozilla package.
It is strange to see somebody join the forum just to post this story. Phoronix has run it too from an anonymous source.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... ges-Debian

There seems to be some truth to the story (and some FUD too). Firefox-esr is five weeks past its end of life and there are vulnerabilities in it.

https://security-tracker.debian.org/tra ... irefox-esr

Final security updates for ESR seem to be for the 78.15 EOL version.

https://tracker.debian.org/media/packag ... r-1deb10u1

The idea that the new ESR can't come to stable because stable is just too out of date doesn't seem to be true, as the bug used in evidence of that has been closed.

Still, being weeks overdue for a security update is not a good position to be in, as somebody said in one of the bug reports.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#18 Post by sunrat »

One thing is for sure, whenever Firefox is mentioned it brings forth a gush of opinions both positive and negative. And you know what they say about opinions.
The OP's question was answered in the link I posted in the first reply.

The reason Firefox still exists despite it's dwindling user count, is that Google needs it to exist to avoid monopoly antitrust issues so funds it via being the FF default search engine.
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

donald
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#19 Post by donald »

SoftwareRat wrote: 2021-12-08 17:54
ticojohn wrote: 2021-12-08 13:56 The team of Debian developers, mostly unpaid volunteers, work tirelessly to bring people a stable and secure Linux based OS. Their work is then used by many others to develop other Linux based OS's, which is to me a testament to the strength of Debian. I really don't understand why people choose to install Debian and then complain about how it doesn't have the latest and greatest software. Good thing I'm not a Spam Hunter because I would probably delete a lot of new the posts, maybe even some of my own. :mrgreen:
It's not just "the latest and greatest", it has CVE's open and Debian Stable should have newest Firefox ESR for security fixes..
There are a variety of different browsers that are available for your use, as an informal survey we asked a few days ago: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=150884 look there for other options and the occasional usage note.

You could also use FireFox nightly which is patched, updated, and has new features VERY quickly: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/c ... p/#nightly .

canci wrote: 2021-12-07 20:31
You're awesome. :lol:
All of your posts. :D

...maybe 20
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

ticojohn

#20 Post by ticojohn »

donald wrote: 2021-12-10 10:10
You're awesome. :lol:
All of your posts. :D

...maybe 20
Thanks @donald , I needed that. :oops:
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.