Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Vinyl cutter/plotters that work with Debian

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
tagal4

Vinyl cutter/plotters that work with Debian

#1 Post by tagal4 »

I'm not finding any information on this forum about cutter/plotters and very little on the web so I'm a bit confused about it as I want to start cutting vinyl for decals, and I don't want to have to buy a Windows computer to do it. All I can find is Inkcut has to be used to do this with since the software that comes with vinyl cutters is for Windows computers. Inkcut has a list of compatible cutters, but when I contacted one of the companies (Vevor) that sells one of the readily available cutters on the list to confirm it can be used with Linux they responded that it doesn't have the Linux drivers needed to run it. Interestingly there is a Youtube video of a guy using a larger model of the same brand of cutter - that isn't even on the Inkcut list - using it to cut vinyl with Linux/Inkcut, no problem.

Do vinyl cutter/plotters really have to have Linux drivers to be used on a Linux computer and does this explain why some cutters do work and others don't work with our operating system? How accurate is the Inkcut cutter list, or is there some other way to determine which ones will work with Inkcut/Linux?

Thanks for any help with this issue.

arzgi

Re: Vinyl cutter/plotters that work with Debian

#2 Post by arzgi »

I did a web search 'linux plotting software', and package veusz is in Debian's repo.

So a little hope, can not say if would support the device(s) you are thinking.

I guess you have to dig the net.

tagal4

Re: Vinyl cutter/plotters that work with Debian

#3 Post by tagal4 »

After more searching I found an article about this and the author thought Inkcut works with just about any cutter that uses HPGL commands, which includes most of the ones I've been looking at. Also, turns out Inkscape has a forum with a category specifically for vinyl cutting, so I need to do some digging on there as well.