Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

why am I have KDE terminal in my guake terminal ?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
shirish

Re: why am I have KDE terminal in my guake terminal ?

#21 Post by shirish »

cfb wrote: 2021-12-30 09:37
canci wrote: 2021-12-30 08:52 At least do OP the favour and read the entire thread. :D We've been over the guake.desktop thing.
I know, but OP never confirmed they checked.
Just so if it wasn't obvious, I did check and no there is no .guake.desktop in my /home/shirish/

For the person asking about it the keyboard shortcuts for opening and closing the guake shell work, they do as expected, F11 which is the default and F12 for the whole window rather than the one I shared. F12 basically makes the shell whole-screen while F11 just partially, so you could fire a command or a series and the command is processed in the background while you are doing something else.

Other k/b shortcuts do differ, for e.g. in guake CTRL+T is for new tab while in KDE terminal it is CTRL+Shift+Tab. Also there are slight differences between the shells themselves. If I were in a KDE/QT session that would be cool but now when I am in mate-session.which is more or less entirely gtk+ based

That's actually the reason why I use mate over GNOME, still have the functionality without the memory bloat (arguable) but that's for another time altogether :)
Intel Dual-Core CPU E5400 (soc 775) @ 2.70GHz, onboard Intel G33, Asus MB P5KPL-AM IN (Intel G31), D-Link 2750u modem+router, 64-bit Debian Testing, Mate 1.26

cfb

#22 Post by cfb »

In the screen shot you posted, it looks like it actually is the drop down terminal called "yakuake", which is based on the KDE terminal (konsole).

One thing to try:
Open a normal Mate terminal and run "guake" and see what happens.
Next try the same with "yakuake".

Edit: I am not sure of the exact commands to start "guake" and "yakuake" from a command line. I do not use any of them.

Edit: As far as I have read, "yakuake" also uses F12 as shortcut. Could you somehow have installed it and it has "taken over" the shortcut from "guake"?

shirish

#23 Post by shirish »

dlu2021 wrote: 2021-12-30 13:18
shirish wrote: 2021-12-30 05:18
dlu2021 wrote: 2021-12-30 04:28 Have you scanned through all of the guake settings to see if any of them reference konsole?
Which settings and where ?

If you right click on the guake icon in the system tray and then select preferences.
Oh I did. Anyways, I did find the solution which is not a solution, just remove kde-terminal once and for all. That took care of that problem :(
Intel Dual-Core CPU E5400 (soc 775) @ 2.70GHz, onboard Intel G33, Asus MB P5KPL-AM IN (Intel G31), D-Link 2750u modem+router, 64-bit Debian Testing, Mate 1.26