Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Updating BIOS on Lenovo laptop

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Udaba

Updating BIOS on Lenovo laptop

#1 Post by Udaba »

My laptop is Lenono z50-70 .
From lenovo's support page there is only .exe files leading to BIOS update. Extracting these only gets .sys .dll .ini .fd .wav and .exe files.
Lenovo support:http://tiny.cc/91bnuz
I found this , dont know if helps : https://lh.ms/EJRE

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

Re: Updating BIOS on Lenovo laptop

#2 Post by steve_v »

Nope, not clicking random url shorteners. This is not twitter.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by Hallvor »

I am not clicking your links either, but this is how I did it:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=149682
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

Udaba

#5 Post by Udaba »

Is there any way to contract lenovo to sent me the .iso BIOS.
The file i have is .exe , cant follow the tutorial you sent me.

NorthEast

#6 Post by NorthEast »

The file i have is .exe , cant follow the tutorial you sent me.
That's because the tutorial describes an .iso file rather than .exe.
Some ways of flashing the new BIOS are described in the link below, e.g.:
- install windows on a partition, flash the BIOS and then delete windows,
- install freeDOS on a usb with the .exe file and install the windows tools needed,
- run a windows rescue disk to run the .exe file,
Although the page is over 10 years old, you may be able to corroborate some of the methods through online search for more current experiences.
https://askubuntu.com/questions/144526/ ... s-provided

Edit: I just retrieved some old notes on flashing an HP laptop running linux some years ago. I used 7zip to extract the new BIOS file-to-be-flashed, created a filesystem on a usb which was described by HP, plugged the usb in and selected the BIOS update facility on the machine, selected "update BIOS from local media", and the rest was done. I don't suppose this is relevant to lenovo, but the use of 7zip may be useful.

Udaba

#7 Post by Udaba »

I wish i could just install an open source firmware.
Thanks , i installed w10 updated bios with old ssd.

NorthEast

#8 Post by NorthEast »

Udaba wrote:
I wish i could just install an open source firmware.
There is a free open source BIOS for some lenovo and thinkpad machines found in the libreboot project which is an off-shoot of the coreboot project which aims to build a BIOS to replace proprietary code. I haven't used it, but it is used by various open source projects.

lxkraken

#9 Post by lxkraken »

You could try fwupd.

I had Ubuntu Studio installed on a separate partition and I believe that this is the program that upgraded the BIOS on my Thinkpad T470. Beware, though. While the BIOS was updating, the laptop screen went black and it became completely unresponsive. I even tried a hard shut down after 30 minutes by holding the power button for 5 seconds and it would not power off. I had to unplug the laptop and let the battery completely run out of juice before I could restart the machine.

After that, everything was fine. I was, however, shopping for new laptops that night because I thought Ubuntu Studio had bricked my laptop.

Scary stuff.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#10 Post by canci »

fwupd is amazing. I just wish more than 3 or 4 hardware manufacturers would support it. :lol:
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#11 Post by steve_v »

LOL, vendor BIOS implementations and their update mechanisms have been a total crapshoot since the early '90s, and that's being charitable. I don't expect it will change any time soon, if ever.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#12 Post by canci »

Nor do I. But it sure would be nice to just issue 1 command as opposed to manually copying a dodgy file onto a FreeDOS live stick. I mean, running Monkey Island in Dosbox is easier than this. It's 2022 for Windows' sake.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#13 Post by steve_v »

canci wrote: 2022-01-22 09:52it sure would be nice to just issue 1 command as opposed to manually copying a dodgy file onto a FreeDOS live stick.
I know, right? I still have that old pucker-reflex every time I have to do this, and these days you can't even pull the 'prom to reflash (or hotflash) it if things go sideways.
canci wrote: 2022-01-22 09:52I mean, running Monkey Island in Dosbox is easier than this.
Running Monkey Island on real, 25 year old hardware is easier than dealing with BIOS updates. I know, I was playing it a couple of hours ago (mostly to try out my dreamblaster S2). :D
Aside, for GM in MI, you'll want this... But I digress. :P

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#14 Post by canci »

Oh, thanks for the link. :)

READ THIS: