Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Energy reducing settings?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
PDA123

Energy reducing settings?

#1 Post by PDA123 »

I'm running Debian 11 using an "off-grid" PV solar system with the storage medium being batteries.

My machine is a Dell Optiplex 330 and an Acer monitor (don't remember what model).

Are there any settings I change or add that'll help reduce electrical consumption?

Thank you

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Energy reducing settings?

#2 Post by Hallvor »

I use TLP.

Code: Select all

# apt install tlp tlp-rdw
https://linrunner.de/tlp/

Just change the settings to enable powersaving on AC power.

(It does conflict with laptop-mode-tools, if those are installed.)
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

PDA123

#3 Post by PDA123 »

I wasn't clear enough.

My computer is a desktop machine powered by 120vac.

The batteries, as mentioned, are only for storing power made by the solar panels and then feeding that power into an inverter to produce the 120vac which then powers any device needed, in this case, my desktop computer.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by canci »

How does that change anything? TLP can reduce power consumption, doesn't matter where the power comes from.

Powertop can also help shave off some watts.

If you're strapped for power, maybe switching to something like a Raspberry Pi or an Android phone (degoogled and with LineageOS for privacy) would make more sense in the long run.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

PDA123

#5 Post by PDA123 »

'Will give TLP a try.

My solar array can provide 1.5 kW when it's sunny and the batteries (Lithium Iron Phosphate) can provide around 2 kW. So power production isn't the problem- reducing consumption is.

The OS isn't a concern. Desktop system require much more power than notebooks.

bw123

#6 Post by bw123 »

DPMS is good, linux is good with that if your monitor agrees. Also, being online as little as possible would be helpful. There are ways to use the internet without being constantly connected.

Spinning disks use power, hdparm can usually spin them down.

Many things like this are in the pkgs like tlp or laptop-mode-tools, but your behavior is probably the most important thing. Turn it OFF when it's not necessary.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by Hallvor »

There is only so much more efficient you can make a desktop computer.

A desktop computer like that will use some 150* watts?
A laptop will use less power, maybe 50* watts.
A small ARM device like a Raspberry Pi 400 with keyboard, mouse and screen should be even more efficient (depending on the monitor).

You can use a Raspberry Pi 400 several times as long each day for the same amount of energy.

Turn the monitor and computer off (or hibernate it) when not using it.

* Varies significantly depending on hardware and load. These numbers are rough estimates at best. Using a voltmeter is the only way to get reliable numbers.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#8 Post by CwF »

I have built some high computer power things that are built in mobiles. It isn't exactly true to distinguish a 'format' generality, the factor people miss is the power supply. Overcapacity on a desktop is one issue with waste, but the biggie is using an AC stage - don't. That's better than 20% right there.

If you look around there are ways to get to all DC. Boards with 12v power have mobile and/or desktop oriented parts. Regardless, the actual power difference is in clock step differences. I remember gen 2/3 E3 xeons within 50W, tuneable down to ~30's, for heat not draw. Memory clock control can help too. 'Mobile' parts have lower settings that modded desktop parts can do just fine.

Then with full sun and air conditioning you can crank it up!

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#9 Post by steve_v »

Hallvor wrote: 2022-01-21 23:08 Using an ammeter + voltmeter (or combined wattmeter) is the only way to get reliable numbers.
FTFY.

CwF wrote: 2022-01-22 00:09 the biggie is using an AC stage - don't.
Indeed. Modern switchmode inverters and PSUs are a lot more efficient than they used to be, but going from whatever DC supply the PV system has available to 120VAC, then back down to 12VDC (+minor rails) is still going to cost you.

If a 12VDC or 24VDC supply is available, there are various "picoATX" style power supplies around that are targeted at running normal(ish) motherboards from vehicle power, that kind of thing will cut out at least one conversion and likely save 10-20% in losses.

Otherwise, all the usual things. Spin down disks, set short monitor-standby (or off) times, and check out powertop and the TLP scripts. Any modern CPU will do all the downclocking / idle-halt stuff automatically, but you might get a bit more out of it under light load by switching to the "powersave" CPU governor.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

clementishutin

#10 Post by clementishutin »

If you're short on electricity, consider using a Raspberry Pi or an Android phone instead.