Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Weird GRUB behavior on Debian 11

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
rei_nert

Weird GRUB behavior on Debian 11

#1 Post by rei_nert »

I had/have a weird behavior with GRUB on Debian 11.
I'm running Debian 11 with KDE for a while, I was using kernel Liquorix 5.15.16, with 3 partitions (sda1 for EFI, sda3 for root with btrfs and sda4 for home with btrfs) and after a reboot, my system wouldn't boot, saying there wasn't a bootable device.
Using a bootable USB, I was able to find my devices (so the ssd was recognized) and following an online tutorial, I was able to reinstall grub (https://logan.tw/posts/2015/05/17/grub- ... le-system/) and I was able to boot in my computer.
After a while, I reboot my computer, and the same error appeared. After trying to reinstall and failing, I thought that root with btrfs was the problem, so I reinstall Debian 11 XFCE with 4 partitions (sda1 for efi, sda2 for swap, sda3 for root with ext4 and sda4 for home with btrfs), and using kernel generic 5.10.92-1. But again, after a while, the same issue happened after a reboot (and after a while trying to reinstall grub).
The only "different" thing while reinstalling grub was an error that sdb2 didn't have a bootable image (sdb is a flash drive, and use ventoy, so sdb2 is the partition with all iso).
For now, everything is working, but I'm afraid to reboot my computer to face the same problem.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Weird GRUB behavior on Debian 11

#2 Post by p.H »

"No bootable device" is a message from the UEFI firmware, not GRUB. I suspect that the UEFI firmware loses the boot entry pointing to GRUB/shim. You can usually see the boot entries in the firmware boot menu or boot settings, and from Linux with efibootmgr.

A way to not rely on "flaky" EFI boot entries is to install GRUB in the "removable media path". This option in available in expert install. Or it can be enabled by running

Code: Select all

dpkg-reconfigure grub-efi-amd64
and answering "yes" when prompted to install GRUB in the removable media path.