Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

feh launches along with Atom out of nowhere...

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
GPWR

feh launches along with Atom out of nowhere...

#1 Post by GPWR »

I have i3wm and KDE Plasma for my Debian. I normally use i3wm for things that suck up more RAM and CPU (e.g. multimedia production.)

My i3wm configuration file has feh display a wallpaper on startup. Strange thing is, when starting KDE Plasma, that same image is opened in feh automatically and covers the whole screen. I have to close the window every time.

Even stranger, launching Atom text editor, even after uninstalling-reinstalling multiple times, results in feh launching simultaneously, with that same image I chose as a wallpaper for my i3wm. Why does that application, in particular, launch feh?

I know I should be giving more details, but I don't know where to start. I gave everything I see is relevant up to now. If you can think of important information I may have missed, just ask.

Thanks in advance for any help, and God bless.

GPWR

Re: feh launches along with Atom out of nowhere...

#2 Post by GPWR »

Hmm... New discovery.

Running "atom" from the terminal works fine, and doesn't launch feh. The shortcut I normally used is the one that came with the Atom installation file (DEB), for which the command is as follows:

Code: Select all

env ATOM_DISABLE_SHELLING_OUT_FOR_ENVIRONMENT=false /usr/bin/atom %F
I don't understand how that launches feh.

Thanks.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by sunrat »

In KDE do you have Restore previous session set in System Settings > Startup and Shutdown > Desktop Session > On Login? It's the default iirc. Not sure if it carries over from i3 session though.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

GPWR

#4 Post by GPWR »

sunrat wrote: 2022-03-20 21:14 In KDE do you have Restore previous session set in System Settings > Startup and Shutdown > Desktop Session > On Login? It's the default iirc. Not sure if it carries over from i3 session though.
Thank you for your response. Good idea, but it didn't work. I selected "Start with an empty session", though I still get the problem on reboot.

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Check ~/.local/share/applications/ for any Atom-related .desktop files that might be doing strange things with the Exec line.

How exactly did you install Atom?

Also check ~/.config/autostart/*.desktop & ~/.xsessionrc for autostart stuff.
deadbang

GPWR

#6 Post by GPWR »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: 2022-05-24 14:33 Check ~/.local/share/applications/ for any Atom-related .desktop files that might be doing strange things with the Exec line.

How exactly did you install Atom?

Also check ~/.config/autostart/*.desktop & ~/.xsessionrc for autostart stuff.
Thank you for you response. It's appreciated.

There's nothing related to Atom in ~/.local/share/applications/. In /usr/share/applications, the atom.desktop file contains the following line: Exec=env ATOM_DISABLE_SHELLING_OUT_FOR_ENVIRONMENT=false /usr/bin/atom %F. I'm not sure what the first half of it means, nor the %F part, so maybe it's something in there?

Other than that, strangely enough, I have no ~/.xsessionrc directory on my system. I tried to access it as root also, but it seems as though it's just not there. Is that possible? Also, I only have file sync apps in my ~/.config/autostart/ directory, and none of those is related to either FEH or Atom.

Thank you again for your help, and God bless you.

arzgi

#7 Post by arzgi »

If hammer is not enough, use cannon!

find . -print0 | xargs -0 grep -s feh
Above searches every file and prints those that include word 'feh'. Modify as needed, use in your /home/ or it lasts a very long time.

EDIT:

Line prints a bit too much garbage.

find . -print0 | xargs -0 grep -csI feh | grep ':1$*
Print files which include string feh one time.

GPWR

#8 Post by GPWR »

arzgi wrote: 2022-05-25 15:13 If hammer is not enough, use cannon!

find . -print0 | xargs -0 grep -s feh
Above searches every file and prints those that include word 'feh'. Modify as needed, use in your /home/ or it lasts a very long time.

EDIT:

Line prints a bit too much garbage.

find . -print0 | xargs -0 grep -csI feh | grep ':1$*
Print files which include string feh one time.
Thank you for your help. Well, that would be a cannon without a proper cannoneer, but I'll try and learn something here.

First off, the former option you give indeed prints way too much rubbish. It's impossible for me to find anything relevant in there. So I tried your second option, but it then gives me a new line instead of executing something. I don't know if you see what I mean. Like I get a new line with a > symbol, as if I were in some sort of scripting language console. Do you know why that occurs? I checked that everything was typed correctly and even copy-pasted, but the issue persists.

Thank you again for your help. It's appreciated. God bless.

GPWR

#9 Post by GPWR »

Believe it or not, I just found the problematic file. I had obviously stopped trying long ago, but now I just stumbled upon a line in my `~/.profile` file that reads as follows:

# feh initialise wallpaper
feh -bg-fill /home/gabry/Pictures/system/wallpapers/935964-large-debian-wallpaper-1920x1200-phone.jpg
Removing that fixed the issue. That idea had probably come to me from this article, as they use the same technique to get a wallpaper in i3wm.

In other words, it's a good thing Linux doesn't get viruses too often, because I would never find one on my own computer!

bw123

#10 Post by bw123 »

feh is a very useful and surprisingly powerful app!

thanks for the followup
resigned by AI ChatGPT