Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] No video output after fresh install

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Katami

[SOLVED] No video output after fresh install

#1 Post by Katami »

I've installed fresh debian, with those installation isos
  • debian-11.2.0-amd64-netinst.iso
  • debian-11.3.0-amd64-netinst.iso
  • firmware-11.3.0-amd64-netinst.iso
I have Intel Core i3-10105 with Intel UHD Graphics 630. I have no other GPU, or any other devices on PCIe (just motherboard, cpu, ram and ssd)

The install goes perfectly fine to the point where it asks to remove installation media and restart. Doing so gets me to grub, and selecting a first option prints out few messages and then the screen goes black. The computer runs, and I can get to it via SSH. I noticed that lightdm service is failed, and deep in the X11 log I found

Code: Select all

(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
(EE) 
Fatal server error:
(EE) no screens found(EE) 
Running `Xorg -configure` and copying the `xorg.conf` to `/etc/X11/xorg.conf`, I managed to get lightdm service running, but I still have no graphical output (no GUI, and no tty on CTRL+ALT+Fx)

What else I tried
  • Installing Windows/Ubuntu; works, and I get a working system
  • CTRL+ALT+Fx ; switches to a different tty, but I still don't have an output (but the switch happens, as num lock led on keyboard is changing
  • adding `nomodeset` to linux command line in grub; I get graphical output and tty on CTRL+ALT+Fx, but the resolution is bad (I guess I could play out with x server configuration, but for now no idea what I am doing)
  • Installing `intel-microcode`, `firmware-nonfree`; no luck
I also tried installing debian-testing-amd64-netinst.iso`, and everything works as expected (i.e. I get a working system right away), but I'd prefer to have stable system.
Last edited by Katami on 2022-03-31 08:02, edited 1 time in total.

fabien
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Re: No video output after fresh install

#2 Post by fabien »

I've had the same sort of problem few weeks ago with an i3-10100 and Gigabyte H410M S2H V3 (BIOS F4). I precise the MB because I doubt that this problem happens with all i3-10x. What is your MB?

I resolved the problem by installing the Bullseye backports kernel (currently linux-image-5.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64) that works.
ImageShare your Debian SCRIPTS
There will be neither barrier nor walls, neither official nor guard, there will be no more desert and the entire world will become a garden. — Anacharsis Cloots

Katami

#3 Post by Katami »

I had `GIGABYTE B560M DS3H V2`, but changed that to `GIGABYTE Z590M GAMING`, problems was in both ways. According to this reddit thread, bullseye has 5.10 kernel (LST), while the support for Intel Core-i3 10105 came out in 5.11. I updated the kernel from bullseye backports and everything works.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by sunrat »

@Katami please edit the title of your first post and add [SOLVED] so it may help others with the same issue.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!