Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to manage/support multiple versions of a library?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
bdz

How to manage/support multiple versions of a library?

#1 Post by bdz »

I need to run an old version of a package. The old version requires libssl.so.1.0.2. I'm running debian 11 (bullseye) which uses libssl.so.1.1. Simply replacing the library (by linking libssl.so to the older version) would likely break many things.

Is there any mechanism that allows a particular application use a specified version of a library?

Thanks

PS FYI I'm trying to run an old version rstudio, but this issue is not specific to rstudio.

LE_746F6D617A7A69

Re: How to manage/support multiple versions of a library?

#2 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

bdz wrote: 2022-05-25 19:23 Is there any mechanism that allows a particular application use a specified version of a library?
Yes:
Libtool’s versioning system

All the stable libs are following the above scheme, which means, that most of libs and applications are backward-compatible by default.
(BTW this also means that there's no need for Snaps, Flatpak and Appimage - unless the program is poorly coded)

In Your case, it seems that there's a problem with the program and not with the lib. The simplest solution is not to install an older version of the libssl.so, but to create a symlink to the installed version of the library.

PS: Have You tried RKWard? - it works for Me ;)
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

bdz

Re: How to manage/support multiple versions of a library?

#3 Post by bdz »

Thanks. I haven't had to deal with lib versions much in the past and your explanation helped a lot.

It appears that rstudio does not follow the lib naming convention. It may have used explicit library versions numbers (although I could be wrong about this). symlinks don't solve the problem but adding an old version libssl seems to have done the trick.