Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Correct way to ping a package maintainer about updating their package when it's WAY out of date?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Danathar

Correct way to ping a package maintainer about updating their package when it's WAY out of date?

#1 Post by Danathar »

Does anybody know of the **RIGHT** way to ping a package maintainer without annoying them? I noticed a package that is pretty old in the latest release and even in SID that looks like it hasn't been updated since 2017 (Apache Guacamole).

I ended up having to make the latest version from source and then use checkinstall to make a package to use it. I'd much rather use the repository if the package was not so out of date.

I can see who the maintainer is, but emailing them directly on it feels a bit wrong, especially since it hasn't been updated since 2017 (I'm assuming **THEY KNOW** its out of date. Or is that what people do?

Thanks!

Danathar

Re: Correct way to ping a package maintainer about updating their package when it's WAY out of date?

#4 Post by Danathar »

arochester wrote: 2022-05-27 18:46 https://www.debian.org/support

Scroll down to "How to contact Package Maintainers"
thanks much!