Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[close/solved] Mount qcow2 image encrypted with LUKS

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
PsySc0rpi0n

[close/solved] Mount qcow2 image encrypted with LUKS

#1 Post by PsySc0rpi0n »

Hello.

I have a qcow2 image file that contains a Luks encrypted LVM volume. This VM doesn't have (I don't want it to have) any internet connectivity, so, when I start it, I use "-nic none" but I need to send a file into this vm. So, the option was to use "guestmount" to be able to mount the image and put the files somewere inside the mounted image!

Now, when I use the following command:

Code: Select all

$ sudo guestmount -a Storage/Software/Linux/LinuxVirtPool/Debian-10.0.0 --key "ID":key:my_paintext_password -m /dev/sda5 /media/psysc0rpi0n/tmpmount/
I get the follwoing errors:

libguestfs: error: mount_options: mount exited with status 32: mount: /sysroot: unknown filesystem type 'crypto_LUKS'.
guestmount: ‘/dev/sda5’ could not be mounted.
guestmount: Did you mean to mount one of these filesystems?
guestmount: 	/dev/sda1 (ext2)
What am I doing wrong and how can I make this work? I'm out of knowledge!
Last edited by PsySc0rpi0n on 2022-06-19 16:23, edited 1 time in total.

PsySc0rpi0n

Re: Mount qcow2 image encrypted with LUKS

#2 Post by PsySc0rpi0n »

I tried to connect this image file as a network block device with

sudo qemu-nbd --connect=/dev/nbd0 Storage/Software/Linux/LinuxVirtPool/Debian-10.0.0
and then tried to use "guestmount", but I'm not sure if this is meant to be used this way!
I get errors from libguestfs

sudo guestmount -a Storage/Software/Linux/LinuxVirtPool/Debian-10.0.0 --key "ID":key:my_plaintext_password -m /dev/nbd0p1 /media/psysc0rpi0n/tmpmount/
libguestfs: error: appliance closed the connection unexpectedly.
This usually means the libguestfs appliance crashed.
Do:
  export LIBGUESTFS_DEBUG=1 LIBGUESTFS_TRACE=1
and run the command again.  For further information, read:
  http://libguestfs.org/guestfs-faq.1.html#debugging-libguestfs
You can also run 'libguestfs-test-tool' and post the *complete* output
into a bug report or message to the libguestfs mailing list.
libguestfs: error: guestfs_launch failed.
This usually means the libguestfs appliance failed to start or crashed.
Do:
  export LIBGUESTFS_DEBUG=1 LIBGUESTFS_TRACE=1
and run the command again.  For further information, read:
  http://libguestfs.org/guestfs-faq.1.html#debugging-libguestfs
You can also run 'libguestfs-test-tool' and post the *complete* output
into a bug report or message to the libguestfs mailing lis

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by CwF »

In my uses I've tried my best to eliminate the need to use guesmount...so off the top of my head;

attach the orphaned cow to a virtual machine and then
use the vm directly, or
use guestmount with the -d switch designating the domain of the vm and it's drive /dev/sda1

this should help with mounting a multi-partition image, otherwise a 'partprobe' step might be needed.

I haven't done this in awhile...

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by p.H »

PsySc0rpi0n wrote: 2022-06-04 12:36 the option was to use "guestmount" to be able to mount the image and put the files somewere inside the mounted image!
Why not just use another plain image ?
PsySc0rpi0n wrote: 2022-06-04 12:36 mount: /sysroot: unknown filesystem type 'crypto_LUKS'.
A LUKS device cannot be mounted, it is not a filesystem. It must be "opened" with cryptsetup, which creates a virtual device. If the virtual device contains a filesystem, it can be mounted. If it contains an LVM physical volume, its logical volumes can be activated with vgchange or lvchange. Then a logical volume containing a filesystem can be mounted.

PsySc0rpi0n

#5 Post by PsySc0rpi0n »

p.H wrote: 2022-06-04 20:29
PsySc0rpi0n wrote: 2022-06-04 12:36 the option was to use "guestmount" to be able to mount the image and put the files somewere inside the mounted image!
Why not just use another plain image ?
PsySc0rpi0n wrote: 2022-06-04 12:36 mount: /sysroot: unknown filesystem type 'crypto_LUKS'.
A LUKS device cannot be mounted, it is not a filesystem. It must be "opened" with cryptsetup, which creates a virtual device. If the virtual device contains a filesystem, it can be mounted. If it contains an LVM physical volume, its logical volumes can be activated with vgchange or lvchange. Then a logical volume containing a filesystem can be mounted.
I'm not sure I understand. What you mean "use another plain image? Can you exemplify, please?

About a LUKS device cannot be mounted, how then would I deal with this? Can you please explain?
I mean, it's a LUKS device, but it is inside a qcow2 image! I'm not sure how to proceed! Or which steps to follow! Im confused to be honest!

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by p.H »

PsySc0rpi0n wrote: 2022-06-04 21:45 What you mean "use another plain image?
Just as you can add a physical drive to a physical machine, you can add a virtual drive (without encryption nor LVM) to a virtual machine.
PsySc0rpi0n wrote: 2022-06-04 21:45 I mean, it's a LUKS device, but it is inside a qcow2 image! I'm not sure how to proceed!
I don't know either. I do not deal with qcow2 images and I don't know how guestmount works.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by CwF »

p.H wrote: 2022-06-05 11:26 I don't know how guestmount works
It is basically a guided and somewhat automated losetup. Useful to -RO monitor a live vm or edit an image without 'running' it.

OP needs to rethink their methodologies. This is two poor choices compounded, for a simple need, with a simple solution. I'll refrain...

PsySc0rpi0n

#8 Post by PsySc0rpi0n »

CwF wrote: 2022-06-05 14:35
p.H wrote: 2022-06-05 11:26 I don't know how guestmount works
It is basically a guided and somewhat automated losetup. Useful to -RO monitor a live vm or edit an image without 'running' it.

OP needs to rethink their methodologies. This is two poor choices compounded, for a simple need, with a simple solution. I'll refrain...
You mean I'm at a dead end here? That I cannot share a folder with my vm so that I can access files in that shared folder in any way?

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#9 Post by CwF »

PsySc0rpi0n wrote: 2022-06-05 20:44 I can access files in that shared folder in any way?
You can.
"share" is two-way, from guest or host. That could be virtiofs.
Spice, through the guest agent also does not depend on a nic. Download what you want on the host and simply drag it to the guest viewer window and it will appear on the guest desktop.

Set up a 'intranet' and a crossover somewhere.

Utilize a virtual usb or real usb drive.

Mount the cow in another vm.
etc.

Really, LVM isn't all that appropriate to be run inside a qcow2 container even though it works, since all qcow advantages are nullified. Write that image out to a disk and pass the entire disc, then optionally mounting on the host for maintenance. The cow is a valid archive of the disc, I use it without the -c switch of course, but superfluous as a runtime. I'm 99% sure I've mounted a LVM image in guestmount and 100% sure I told myself to not do that again...it needs a partprobe step to see sda5 and so on, clumsy and unnecessary.

PsySc0rpi0n

#10 Post by PsySc0rpi0n »

CwF wrote: 2022-06-05 22:31
PsySc0rpi0n wrote: 2022-06-05 20:44 I can access files in that shared folder in any way?
You can.
"share" is two-way, from guest or host. That could be virtiofs.
Spice, through the guest agent also does not depend on a nic. Download what you want on the host and simply drag it to the guest viewer window and it will appear on the guest desktop.

Set up a 'intranet' and a crossover somewhere.

etc.

Really, LVM isn't all that appropriate to be run inside a qcow2 container even though it works, since all qcow advantages are nullified. Write that image out to a disk and pass the entire disc, then optionally mounting on the host for maintenance. The cow is a valid archive of the disc, I use it without the -c switch of course, but superfluous as a runtime. I'm 99% sure I've mounted a LVM image in guestmount and 100% sure I told myself to not do that again...it needs a partprobe step to see sda5 and so on, clumsy and unnecessary.
Ok, I'll try to change the approach on using qcow2 and LVM after I am able to transfer a file to this existing VM.
I tried to enable Spice in QEMU by running the VM with the following command:

sudo qemu-system-x86_64 -cpu host -enable-kvm -smp 4 -m 8192 -drive file=Storage/Software/Linux/LinuxVirtPool/Debian-10.0.0,if=virtio -nic none -spice port=3001,disable-ticketing
And then, in another terminal:

remote-viewer spice://127.0.0.1:3001
The VM started normally but whrn I try to drag-n-drop, I get the following errors in the command line:

(remote-viewer:4265): virt-viewer-WARNING **: 23:10:00.548: File transfer task 0x55b16b47e650 failed: The agent is not connected

(remote-viewer:4265): GSpice-WARNING **: 23:10:00.548: File transfer failed with error: Transferring 1 files: 0 succeed, 0 cancelled, 1 failed

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#11 Post by CwF »

In the guest install 'spice-vdagent'

If you can afford 8GB to the guest, you have the resources to make this easy and run VMM.

PsySc0rpi0n

#12 Post by PsySc0rpi0n »

CwF wrote: 2022-06-06 22:36 In the guest install 'spice-vdagent'

If you can afford 8GB to the guest, you have the resources to make this easy and run VMM.
In the guest, I don't have internet connectivity, remember? :p

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#13 Post by CwF »

PsySc0rpi0n wrote: 2022-06-09 22:49 In the guest, I don't have internet connectivity, remember? :p
...keep thinking!
CwF wrote: 2022-06-05 22:31 Set up a 'intranet' and a crossover somewhere.

etc.

Head_on_a_Stick

#14 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

PsySc0rpi0n wrote: 2022-06-06 22:13

sudo qemu-system-x86_64 -cpu host -enable-kvm -smp 4 -m 8192 -drive file=Storage/Software/Linux/LinuxVirtPool/Debian-10.0.0,if=virtio -nic none -spice port=3001,disable-ticketing
sudo qemu? Really? Don't do that, it's moronic.

For file sharing in a VM with 9p (the best method by far) see https://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/9psetup
deadbang

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#15 Post by CwF »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: 2022-06-10 07:11 (the best method by far)
CwF wrote: 2022-06-05 22:31 . That could be virtiofs.
even better once all involved kernels are > 5.somthin'

PsySc0rpi0n

#16 Post by PsySc0rpi0n »

I'm going to close this thread because I'm not going further with this.
I'm taking another approach with a new VM. Will try to do things differently and I'll open a new thread for it!

Thanks
Psy