Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Using LO Draw Printing a book?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
makh

Using LO Draw Printing a book?

#1 Post by makh »

Hi

Please inform that: can a file can be worked / created in Draw, or Gimp, or Krita etc, and later easily imported in Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator for printing; as these two are usually used in our local market.

Actually, I have to print some work for Children teaching. Earlier I developed in Writer, then the printer imported the file into Adobe Illustrator to print. Then some changes were put into the Illustrator only. He later gave me the file in .pdf and .ai. I easily imported .pdf into the Draw.

I tried GIMP a few years ago, but was difficult. I havent tested inkscape, yet.

Please advise, if I prefer to use LO Draw, as it seems quite straight forward and hopefully should easily work for me; in which format can I save the file that it is compatible to the market easily, and gives good results in resolution?

Thanks in advance
ThinkPad E14: Arch, Debian Stable
GUI: Xfce

For new: Try MX Linux, Linux Mint; later join Debian Stable

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Using LO Draw Printing a book?

#2 Post by canci »

I wouldn't use LibreOffice for printing unless it's to print a letter or similar. And I don't think it supports Illustrator or similar formats.

Scribus is the best DTP tool on Linux. It knows word separation. Think of Adobe Illustrator, but open source. There's some support for the .ai format, but not sure if it supports all of it.

Code: Select all

apt show scribus
Screenshot:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... int_18.png

Inkscape is more for vector drawing. It can't do CMYK, which is essential for printing, and it also has no support for automatic word separation from dictionaries, etc. I did several posters with text and it was really a pain. I should have learned Scribus.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

makh

#3 Post by makh »

canci wrote: 2022-06-19 14:23 I wouldn't use LibreOffice for printing unless it's to print a letter or similar. And I don't think it supports Illustrator or similar formats.

Scribus is the best DTP tool on Linux. It knows word separation. Think of Adobe Illustrator, but open source. There's some support for the .ai format, but not sure if it supports all of it.

Code: Select all

apt show scribus
Screenshot:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... int_18.png

Inkscape is more for vector drawing. It can't do CMYK, which is essential for printing, and it also has no support for automatic word separation from dictionaries, etc. I did several posters with text and it was really a pain. I should have learned Scribus.
Hi

Thanks for the scribus, but according to this:
https://forums.scribus.net/index.php/to ... l#msg16906

I need a file that the Illustrator (more likely) or Corel Draw to print what I have made. Can Scribus file give me such a file?

Thankyou

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by canci »

Is EPS enough for Illustrator or Corel Draw? Scribus can do EPS.

BTW, the forum you posted claims that you can import Inkscape SVGs to Scribus. I've tried that in the past, but Scribus couldn't properly display all the gradients or shadows when I used them. Just be aware of that. And of course the poor text formatting support in Inkscape.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

makh

#5 Post by makh »

canci wrote: 2022-06-19 21:32 Is EPS enough for Illustrator or Corel Draw? Scribus can do EPS.

BTW, the forum you posted claims that you can import Inkscape SVGs to Scribus. I've tried that in the past, but Scribus couldn't properly display all the gradients or shadows when I used them. Just be aware of that. And of course the poor text formatting support in Inkscape.
Hi
I see... but I think my concern is more on ease of use and import to the commercial file to print it in the end!

Though Scribus may be a bit lagging in the graphics end; I need to edit the Arabic letters and color separately the vowels; I tested but seems theres no option to separate a letter and its vowel. Probably I skipped some where. Let me try again!

Thankyou

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by canci »

Search the Scribus website and forum. Probably someone already tried using it with Arabic. Right-to-left-scripts were generally a bit of a hassle on Linux in the past when it comes to GUI stuff. Not sure if that changed.

READ THIS: