Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Restore network manager applet to system tray

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
ozgta

Restore network manager applet to system tray

#1 Post by ozgta »

Hi,
Running Bullseye with xfce
I deleted the Dropbox icon from my system tray and Network manager gnome was also removed.
Internet is still working however I cannot find where to restore the network applet.
Some posts have said run nm-applet in terminal, this returns 'Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused'
Other posts suggest to check Session and Startup. It is marked for startup on login however it does not appear in the system tray although I do have internet connection.
It cannot be foudf by right clicking on the system tray and selecting 'Add new items'

How can I restore the applet to the tray?

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Restore network manager applet to system tray

#2 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

'Add New Items' applies to the panel. You cannot add items to the status tray. You can tell applications to minimise to the tray, but this does not apply to Network Manager.

In Panel Preferences, select Items and look for Status Tray Plugin. If it is there, highlight it and click the edit button. In the Status Tray Items window, click Systray Icons and make sure Network Manager notifications are not hidden. If the status tray is not in the panel, you will need to add it with Add New Items.

If the above doesn't work, remove the status tray plugin in Panel Preferences/Items and re-add it and see if it picks up Network Manager.

ozgta

Re: Restore network manager applet to system tray

#3 Post by ozgta »

That worked, many thanks FreewheelinFrank...