Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Nvidia dkms package conflict

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
mhoram

Nvidia dkms package conflict

#1 Post by mhoram »

On Debian Bullseye I try to install "nvidia-tesla-470-kernel-dkms" on a system on which "nvidia-kernel-dkms" (V470) is already installed.

This leads to the following package conflict:
- nvidia-kernel-dkms depends on nvidia-kernel-support
- nvidia-tesla-470-kernel-dkms depends on nvidia-tesla-470-kernel-support
- nvidia-tesla-470-kernel-support conflicts with nvidia-kernel-support

Is this intentional or should this be considered a bug?
In the 460 series I had nvidia-kernel-dkms and nvidia-tesla-460-kernel-dkms installed at the same time without problems.

flashydolphin8827

Re: Nvidia dkms package conflict

#2 Post by flashydolphin8827 »

mhoram wrote: 2022-07-24 14:30 On Debian Bullseye I try to install "nvidia-tesla-470-kernel-dkms" on a system on which "nvidia-kernel-dkms" (V470) is already installed.

This leads to the following package conflict:
- nvidia-kernel-dkms depends on nvidia-kernel-support
- nvidia-tesla-470-kernel-dkms depends on nvidia-tesla-470-kernel-support
- nvidia-tesla-470-kernel-support conflicts with nvidia-kernel-support

Is this intentional or should this be considered a bug?
In the 460 series I had nvidia-kernel-dkms and nvidia-tesla-460-kernel-dkms installed at the same time without problems.
Upon more careful reading of the first line of your post I saw the work tesla which immediately clued me into another method you could try would be to remove and readd the driver and supporting packages back one at a time untill you can recreate this same error or that trick could possibly solve your problem but that is here nor there all the suggestions that I have provided in my response ar just that suggestions and no more.

You could always try doing some more research either here on the debian user forums or turning to the debian-users mailing list. This being said I would like to let you know that at one point in my use of Debian and other LInux distributions over the twenty-two years that I have used Linux though thod you might have e use of one distribution or another I was at one point or another a complete newbie myself too.

Here are the multiple paths that i would suggest that you take.
! Continues to look for people who have had similar issues to you on the forums
2. in addition to step one give posting on the debian-users mailing list a try as some one on that list might be able to help more than myself
3. Couple the first two suggestions with a few searches on you favorite search engine

vayu_love

#3 Post by vayu_love »

What worked for me may or may not be the right thing to do. I had nvidia-driver and nvidia-kernel-dkms installed and the latest dist-upgrade gave me a message that my gtx660 now needs a legacy driver and that I should use nvidia-tesla-470-driver and nvidia-tesla-470-kernel-dkms.

So I apt installed those two packages. After that I couldn't boot into graphics. From recovery mode I used

Code: Select all

apt policy nvidia*
to find that I had several nvidia-tesla-470 packages, but I also had several plain nvidia packages that the version was 510.85.02-3 not 470.
I uninstalled every nvidia package that had a version 510.85.02-3, which for me was:

apt remove nvidia-driver nvidia-kernel-dkms nvidia-alternative nvidia-egl-icd nvidia-vulkan-icd nvidia-vulkan-common nvidia-xconfig nvidia-kernel-support nvidia-driver-bin nvidia-driver-libs
then I did

apt install --reinstall nvidia-tesla-470-driver nvidia-tesla-470-kernel-dkms
After that everything worked well.
Last edited by vayu_love on 2022-10-06 18:14, edited 2 times in total.

vayu_love

#4 Post by vayu_love »

It's probably important to note that that was on sid

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

Yes, the package conflict is intentional, as they install files with the same name in the same place.
MX Linux packager and developer

nixer

#6 Post by nixer »

It's probably important to note that that was on sid
Thank you very much for this fix vayu_love. I ran into this yesterday and broke my system. Your post helped me to fix it. One thing to note for others who may try this fix in the recent Sid update, I restored from a backup, and tried again. I used synaptic to uninstall the old and install the new.
I removed the nvidia-driver package which removed all the packages that you noted as well, or the ones that I had installed. Then I installed the tesla drivers with
apt install nvidia-tesla-470-driver nvidia-tesla-470-kernel-dkms
it pulled in more nvidia dependencies, naturally, and the first screen I got to was that nvidia-driver my card was still unsupported. It asked me if I wanted to continue with the install of an unsupported device. I answered with Yes. Evidentally my card is supported afterall. It booted fine afterwards.

My nvidia card is now on the "legacy" list of cards now, but it still works fine.
output of lshw command:
*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: GK208B [GeForce GT 710]
vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Note: this was done on Devuan

mhoram

#7 Post by mhoram »

stevepusser wrote: 2022-10-06 21:51 Yes, the package conflict is intentional, as they install files with the same name in the same place.
Thanks for answering my question! Then there is no need for a bug-report regarding this.