Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Different keyboard layout between login & gnome session

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
cho7

Different keyboard layout between login & gnome session

#1 Post by cho7 »

Hi there,

I have a layout mismatch between my keyboard at login and my keyboard after login in Gnome.

My keyboard login has been set via

Code: Select all

# localectl set-x11-keymap gb
On the gnome side, I used the Activities > Settings > Keyboard > Input Sources to add the English (UK) and pretty much every UK variants.

But none of these layouts behave like the English UK layout used by the login screen, which is the "good" one in my particular case.

Because actually the VM is intended to be used via Skytap, which will emulate a UK keyboard for every users who don't have a UK keyboard - like me, who is actually using a FR keyboard).
Right now If I'm typing a @ with my french keyboard using Skytap Emulation set to UK, I do have my @ on the login screen, but not after login where I have, instead, ^

Any idea how I could have exactly the same keyboard layout than the one used by login screen?

Thank you!

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Different keyboard layout between login & gnome session

#2 Post by Aki »

Hello,
Because actually the VM is intended to be used via Skytap, which will emulate a UK keyboard for every users who don't have a UK keyboard - like me, who is actually using a FR keyboard).
Right now If I'm typing a @ with my french keyboard using Skytap Emulation set to UK, I do have my @ on the login screen, but not after login where I have, instead, ^
It looks like this could not be a Debian Issue. Your host's documentation reports [1]:
To use a keyboard for a different language, the following elements must match:
The layout of your local, physical keyboard.
The keyboard layout specified in the VM hardware settings or in the SRA browser client
The keyboard layout specified in the guest OS settings.
Therefore, it looks like there's no "translation", as you reported in your previous message. Furthermore, the The layout of your local, physical keyboard does not match neither with the keyboard layout specified in the VM hardware settings nor with the keyboard layout specified in the guest OS settings

[1] https://help.skytap.com/using-internati ... h-vms.html
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

cho7

#3 Post by cho7 »

OK, let's forget about the translation. The thing is : it is how it works today with all of our windows machines, and it basically works on the login screen on my debian machine.

But not after login. So again, is there a way to configure the gnome-session keyboard the exact same way than the login window? It's clearly not the case today, and while I refuse to say it's a Debian "issue", it's still my issue anyway :-)

Thanks.

cho7

#4 Post by cho7 »

After some more advanced tests where I did break my gnome terminal (I forced en_GB in /etc/default/locale, my terminal wasn't able to open after that ^^), I came to the conclusion that the problem seems to be limited to gnome terminal!

So if I open xterm, Skytap is on EN UK, Gnome too, then my fr keyboard works fine and I can type any special character, like on the login screen. Same with Firefox or any program I've tested.

Only Gnome Terminal seems to have its own keyboard layout, and I can't understand why, and how I could fix it.
Last edited by cho7 on 2022-08-10 13:39, edited 1 time in total.

ticojohn

#5 Post by ticojohn »

I have a situation where my system was installed in English, and therefore expects an English language keyboard when I login. However, I was unable to find an English wireless keyboard (I live in Costa Rica) and ended up with a Spanish keyboard layout. What to do? On login I run a shell script that sets the keyboard layout to Spanish. Something like this:

Code: Select all

#! /bin/sh
setxkbmap es

I use XFCE, so it was a fairly simple task to add the script to the Session and Startup list. Perhaps I don't fully understand the OP's problem, but there is my solution as I understand the issue.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

cho7

#6 Post by cho7 »

Thanks for your suggested solution. I've tried it, but it didn't work.

BUT I did find a working solution. Don't know if it's elegant or not, but honestly, I don't care ^^

So, my solution was to switch -from the login screen, using the wheel menu at the lower right corner- to "GNOME on Xorg" instead of "GNOME"

Now it works as expected in gnome Terminal :)

ticojohn

#7 Post by ticojohn »

cho7 wrote: 2022-08-10 14:37 So, my solution was to switch -from the login screen, using the wheel menu at the lower right corner- to "GNOME on Xorg" instead of "GNOME"

Now it works as expected in gnome Terminal :)
Great. Were you using Wayland while having your issues? I'm not an expert, but the setxkbmap command will only work with Xorg and will not work with Wayland. At least I believe that to be true.

cho7

#8 Post by cho7 »

Yes, I was using the default, hence Wayland.

ticojohn

#9 Post by ticojohn »

Glad you were able to get it working. If you believe the problem is solved you might want to mark the post as solved.

Starzend

#10 Post by Starzend »

Hello, I faced the same issue and found a solution via the gui parameters: under Region and Language, there is a "Login screen" option at the top, which allows to set a different layout. Mine was empty
Attachments
Screenshot from 2023-11-30 13-23-46.png