Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Gnome Desktop Randomly Missing

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
mahoef

Gnome Desktop Randomly Missing

#1 Post by mahoef »

Hi all,

I've had the following scenario happen several times already running debian 11:

1) computer restart or crash and then reboot
2) gnome desktop missing and I boot into terminal

previously I could run tasksel and choose GNOME Desktop and reinstall the desktop environment. Today when this happened again, I got the "apt-get failed error message". For whatever reason, the network manager would not start and I had to manually call "ifup <interface>", switch to su permissions and then pretty much clear/clean all apt history/cached information and reset the sources.list to the default values prior to being able to run apt update and apt upgrade and finally apt install gnome-shell. When attempting to perform the same commands via sudo I got stuck at not being about to install gnome-shell or gnome-session because some dependencies could not be found.

What could be the reason why the desktop environment and essentially all packages that are installed via "install gnome-session" disappear sporadically?

Thanks for the help!

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Gnome Desktop Randomly Missing

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Sounds like your drive may be dying.

https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/smartmontools
deadbang

mahoef

Re: Gnome Desktop Randomly Missing

#3 Post by mahoef »

Thanks for the hint. It's a relatively new SSD and I've run the extensive diagnostics test without any errors. Is there anything else I could check?
res.zip
log
(3.48 KiB) Downloaded 18 times