Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Docker defunct process

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
goose_ws

Docker defunct process

#1 Post by goose_ws »

System info:

Debian 11 x86_64 with PVE kernel 5.15.53-1 (Proxmox kernel, installed Proxmox after/on-top-of Debian)
Docker version 20.10.5+dfsg1, build 55c4c88

I'm having a sporadic issue where once every 1-2 weeks Docker will become unresponsive. I can still ssh into the system just fine and checking ps shows that the dockerd daemon is running. I can even see my containers via docker ps and such. But I can't actually access the containers. If I attempt to sudo service docker stop, the command just hangs until I do Ctrl+C. A follow up ps shows that dockerd is now defunct. I'm unable to kill or kill -9 the child or parent processes. If I try to reboot the system hangs on shutdown, I assume because it can't kill docker. The only way I can fix it is to physically hold down the power button and do a shutdown/restart that way.

I can't find any clues as to why this is happening. It most recently happened around 3:15 this morning (That's when Tautulli reported that my Plex container was down, so within 2 minutes of 3:15), but when I check /var/log/syslog, journalctl -fu docker.service, journalctl -xe, and systemctl status docker.service, none of them appear to show anything relevant within 5 minutes of that time period.

Any idea where I can look to try and prevent this from happening? It's been going on a month or two now.