Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

The Importance Of User Interface - Abbyy Finereader. Any advice?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
bkpsusmitaa

The Importance Of User Interface - Abbyy Finereader. Any advice?

#1 Post by bkpsusmitaa »

I had on and off experienced the benefit of an extraordinary interface in the Abbyy Finereader OCR many years back. Debian has OCR tools too, gimagereader or cuneiform which work well, even with local languages (in tessaract) and unifont,without much error.
But there isn't a user-friendly interface and in-built automation as well to work on scanned documents with ease to correct spellings. The ease of Abbyy Finereader is sourly felt.
Has anyone used lios? How is it? Is it stable enough to be used? I have briefly checked it. One can't go back to an overlooked word that needs correction. The interface appeared to require much improvement.
Of course, I can't overlook the fact that while Abbyy is very expensive to buy, lios is absolutely free to use. So perhaps enough programmers aren't available to work on a free software as a hobby.
Debian Board could initiate organised improvement drives and crowdfunding option for specific packages to fund programmers to work on the Debian packages, couldn't they?
So long as we don't have a polished package, we could at least use very old editions of Abbyy Finereader for which patents have expired. On the internet, the edition Abbyy FineReader 7.0 Professional Build 7.0.0.620, Part# 3962 of 2003 is available, for which the only requirement is an activation key. Unfortunately, Abbyy won't sell an activation key for an old edition, which is really sad.
Freedom is impossible to conceive.
Books that help:
Dale Carnegie's How To Win Friends And Influence People and Emilie Post's Etiquette In Society, In Business, In Politics, And At Home