Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[FIXED] Reboot / shutdown is taking too long. System cannot stop SDDM

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
floppa

[FIXED] Reboot / shutdown is taking too long. System cannot stop SDDM

#1 Post by floppa »

Currently I am using Debian bookworm and this 5.18 kernel from bullseye-backports on MSI MAG B550M Wi-Fi with Ryzen 7 5800X.
And I have an issue with reboot / shutdowns (I tried diffrent ways sudo shutdown, systemctl reboot, everything have rhe same result) - it hang ups on shutdown screen at text something like: Broadcast message from user at time... The system is going down for reboot NOW!
And it wont proceed until I press reset button on pc.
Here is the reboot log obtained from journalctl.
rebootlog.tar.gz
(5.24 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
Idk, i dont see anything but sddm crash and some kde errors.
Problem started recently, and the only major thing I did is installed docker, I saw similar problem, there for some reason containers couldn't stop, but it's not the case here.
Containers work and stops without issues, services too.
And its not problem with bios settings. It shutdowns / reboots fine on windows / refind.
What should I do?
Last edited by floppa on 2022-11-18 23:27, edited 2 times in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Cannot reboot. It just hangs up

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

floppa wrote: 2022-09-20 00:22 Currently I am using Debian bookworm and this 5.18 kernel from bullseye-backports
Why?

For your shutdown issue make sure the CPU microcode package is installed and if that doesn't fix things see https://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/s ... wnproblems — that shows how to enable the debug options. I had a look at your journal but I can't see anything relevant there.
deadbang

floppa

#3 Post by floppa »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: 2022-09-20 17:40
floppa wrote: 2022-09-20 00:22 Currently I am using Debian bookworm and this 5.18 kernel from bullseye-backports
Why?
I'm using it, because stable release build / kernel doesn't support my GPU.

I read that link you sent me, so I found a problem: system cannot stop sddm / xorg
rebootlog-debug.tar.gz
(25.26 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
But once 80 seconds passes, system kills it and reboots. (line 1708 in log)
How I can fix it?

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Try GDM instead. Or no display manager at all, which is my preference.

EDIT: and in respect of your kernel, the bookworm version is almost always newer than the bullseye-backports version. Using a backported kernel in a testing system is just silly.
deadbang