Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

I'm a new user with a few questions

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Eagekr

I'm a new user with a few questions

#1 Post by Eagekr »

How do I turn on paging? When I type in "apt-cache search games" I get a very long list and I can only view the very bottom of that list. How do I see the rest of it, how do I get debian to display everything, or in a way that I can see everything?

I downloaded debian via a network install and selected desktop in the setup menu. It would apper that I only got debian and nothing else. My classmates told me to run startx to get a GUI but when I type in "exec startx" I get an error message that says not found. How do I get startx?

I downloaded firefox via APT and when I tried to run firefox I got an error saying it could not be dispalyed.

I'v had debian for a few days now and it has been an extreamly anoying experance. I can't get anything to work. I've looked though the Debian documents on the Debian web site and I can't find answers to my basic questions. I'm a completey new user, is there a new user guide for people who have never used anyform of linux before?

goweropolis

Re: I'm a new user with a few questions

#2 Post by goweropolis »

Eagekr wrote:I downloaded debian via a network install and selected desktop in the setup menu. It would apper that I only got debian and nothing else. My classmates told me to run startx to get a GUI but when I type in "exec startx" I get an error message that says not found. How do I get startx?
I think you just need to type:

Code: Select all

startx
Eagekr wrote:I downloaded firefox via APT and when I tried to run firefox I got an error saying it could not be dispalyed.
Until you get X working, I don't think Firefox will work. It is not meant to be used in a terminal environment.
~ G O W E R O P O L I S ~

Eagekr

Thank you!

#3 Post by Eagekr »

Thanks for the info! I should have done the smart thing and read the forums first because I found the some of the answers I was looking for. In fact right now I'm useing firefox to post this reply!

#4 Post by Guest »

How do I turn on paging? When I type in "apt-cache search games" I get a very long list and I can only view the very bottom of that list. How do I see the rest of it, how do I get debian to display everything, or in a way that I can see everything?

Code: Select all

aptitude search games | less