Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Login as root

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
werdigo49

Login as root

#1 Post by werdigo49 »

A search on this brings up a lot, but I haven't found the simple answer I'm looking for yet. I just installed Debian 5.0.3 with a KDE3.5 interface and need to log in as root to install one application. I remember advice to edit a particular file, commenting out a line like "Allow root logins FALSE" or changing the "false" to TRUE... but I don't remember the file. Any help?

Coco

Re: Login as root

#2 Post by Coco »

Why do you just enter 'su' in konsole and install through there?
"Giving the Linus Torvalds award to the Free Software Foundation is sort of like giving the Han Solo award to the Rebel Fleet." - Richard Stallman

My Libre.fm profile

werdigo49

#3 Post by werdigo49 »

I've tried running the installer from an su console, but --- if I recall correctly; it's been a while --- I get some kind of Display error (can't open, don't have permission, or something). It's a graphical install and trying to run it from a Superuser console doesn't work.

Soul Singin'

#4 Post by Soul Singin' »

Since it's a graphical installer ... Have you tried installing it with your normal user account?

It might just copy a few files to your home directory and then you're good to go. (That's how Google Earth works anyway).

bugsbunny

#5 Post by bugsbunny »

or you can always try (from an x-term) using

Code: Select all

gksu <installer>
(assuming gnome)

roseway

#6 Post by roseway »

Or

Code: Select all

kdesu <installer>
with KDE.
Eric

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#7 Post by Lavene »

werdigo49 wrote:A search on this brings up a lot, but I haven't found the simple answer I'm looking for yet. I just installed Debian 5.0.3 with a KDE3.5 interface and need to log in as root to install one application. I remember advice to edit a particular file, commenting out a line like "Allow root logins FALSE" or changing the "false" to TRUE... but I don't remember the file. Any help?
/etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc

werdigo49

#8 Post by werdigo49 »

Lavene wrote:
werdigo49 wrote:A search on this brings up a lot, but I haven't found the simple answer I'm looking for yet. I just installed Debian 5.0.3 with a KDE3.5 interface and need to log in as root to install one application. I remember advice to edit a particular file, commenting out a line like "Allow root logins FALSE" or changing the "false" to TRUE... but I don't remember the file. Any help?
/etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc
Thanks, Lavene! That did it. My application is now installed and running.

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#9 Post by mzilikazi »

I for one would love to know which app required you to run X as root.
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#10 Post by Lavene »

mzilikazi wrote:I for one would love to know which app required you to run X as root.
You know the answer to that don't you ;)
"None"

I'm just fanatically against "Don't tell him cause he'll mess up his system!!", and I'm against it for several reasons, some of which are:
1. It's not my problem
2. The person who asks my actually just want to learn how to do something even if it doesn't make 'sense'.
3. Saying that implies that I'm somewhat better than the person asking (since I know but he/ she shouldn't) and that doesn't sit well with me.
4. I like to assume cleverness instead of stupidity (and granted: that comes back to bite me quite often)
5. Someone will learn something.
6. I'm not always right and I don't always know the 'best' method.

I'm all for giving alternatives though but not without actually giving an answer to the question. Like "This is how you do it but here is also a better way."

Darn... that turned into quite a rant...

gnudude

#11 Post by gnudude »

Lavene, how do I insert a red hot poker into my sons left eye?

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#12 Post by Lavene »

gnudude wrote:Lavene, how do I insert a red hot poker into my sons left eye?
Locate eye... insert poker...

Come on...

anxious

#13 Post by anxious »

gnudude wrote:Lavene, how do I insert a red hot poker into my sons left eye?
you sure like to talk a lot. youre not that creepy lil meandean, are you?
For an idea that does not at first seem insane, there is no hope - Albert Einstein