Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 10 "buster" released

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Debian 10 "buster" released

#1 Post by sunrat »

“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

KBD47

Re: Debian 10 "buster" released

#2 Post by KBD47 »

Yay! Congrats to all those involved in making this excellent distro!

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

No it doesn't:
The latest stable release of Debian is 10.0. The last update to this release was made on July 6th, 2019. Read more about available versions of Debian.

Wheelerof4te

#6 Post by Wheelerof4te »

I am very pleased with Buster :)
GNOME defaults to Wayland now, and if anyone is wondering why, it's because no major critical bugs were filed ever since the default display server changed. No, "Wayland doesn't have X feature that X has" is not considered a major critical bug. GNOME on X is still available and is easily picked in GDM. They can still change it in a point-release, though.

Debian 10 is an amazing release.
Last edited by Wheelerof4te on 2019-07-07 08:42, edited 1 time in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Code: Select all

N: Repository 'https://cdn-aws.deb.debian.org/debian buster InRelease' changed its 'Version' value from '' to '10.0'
E: Repository 'https://cdn-aws.deb.debian.org/debian buster InRelease' changed its 'Suite' value from 'testing' to 'stable'
N: This must be accepted explicitly before updates for this repository can be applied. See apt-secure(8) manpage for details.
Do you want to accept these changes and continue updating from this repository? [y/N] y
Nice!
deadbang

djk44883

#8 Post by djk44883 »

Not to discount Buster 10's release!
Inversely this would indicate Bullseye is now testing. I had been running Buster while it was testing, I've updated my sources.list buster > bullseye and I get "All packages are up to date." so where's bullseyes?

GarryRicketson

#9 Post by GarryRicketson »

I think it takes a few days, right now they (Debian developers, and the social crowd) are caught up in the very recent release, parties,etc,...https://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseParty .
I did notice , when I ran 'apt dist-upgrade' last night, it gave me lot's of warnings , that I was upgrading , and it is no longer Buster, but "testing", and will be "Bullseye", in other words it (apt) makes every effort to help me be sure, if I do not want "testing", need to change the sources to Buster, etc,... I am sure in a few days when all the publicity events, social events, partying,etc is done, it will start have some changes,and actual testing the next release will start. Currently though, yes "all packages are up to date"
==== edit ===
Being that today is Sunday, and not much will be going on , Monday is for getting over the hangovers, maybe Tuesday, or later in the week.

djk44883

#10 Post by djk44883 »

GarryRicketson wrote: yes "all packages are up to date"
Sorry to run buster off topic - thanks! So I am not alone. Feared I had forgotten some apt configuration I had forgotten or whatever.
back on topic...
and yes Debian Buster stable is something to celebrate! I do have a system I need to know will always be functional running Debian stable!

Head_on_a_Stick

#11 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

djk44883 wrote:where's bullseyes?
It's there:

http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/bullseye/

Your mirror must be slow, try https://deb.debian.org instead.
deadbang

djk44883

#12 Post by djk44883 »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/bullseye/

Your mirror must be slow, try https://deb.debian.org instead.
I use deb.debian.org and tried ftp.debian.org - yes the files are there! But when I change my sources to use bullseye and apt.conf, it says all files are up to date... after apt update, apt upgrade outputs "0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded."

At the minimal least /etc/debian_version and /etc/issue.net should be updated! Shouldn't there be other files to indicate bullseye? even if packages versions aren't changed?

Head_on_a_Stick

#13 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

^ Give them a bit, I'm sure the flood of updates will be unleashed soon.

Good luck! :twisted:
deadbang

GarryRicketson

#14 Post by GarryRicketson »

Exactly my point, it takes some time, some mirrors may be faster then others, and also there won't be any new updates until someone makes some changes to some package or it's dependencies, and submits them to the "testing" repos, ...

Wheelerof4te

#15 Post by Wheelerof4te »

djk44883 wrote:yes the files are there! But when I change my sources to use bullseye and apt.conf, it says all files are up to date.
If I were to use testing, I'd wait a bit on Buster for the situation to calm down. But that train already passed for you :D

GarryRicketson

#16 Post by GarryRicketson »

In the meantime maybe read some documentation on Debian testing, and get a better idea about how it works, who should use it, etc : https://wiki.debian.org/DebianTesting
Really, the recent OP djk44883 , should have started a new topic, instead if derailing this one.

djk44883

#17 Post by djk44883 »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:^ Give them a bit, I'm sure the flood of updates will be unleashed soon.

Good luck! :twisted:
After the freeze it's more than a flood. I don't recall them taking a few days moving jessie > stretch or to buster. The repos, I understand, have an automatic transitioning facility buy then I don't really know. Learned the hard way not to use stable or testing in sources.list because of unexpected upgrades, not that I'm trying to manage it some...
just curious is the issue with my set up or things not quit being ready. Appears other have an issue too so, Yes, I'll wait. - thanks!

GarryRicketson

#18 Post by GarryRicketson »

So, back to the original topic:

Wheelerof4te

#19 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Something that doesn't get mentioned a lot after major Debian releases are the translations. They are getting better each time. I believe most DEs are 99% translated to my native language and it's a big feat considering it's not German, French or Spanish :D
GNOME is fully translated and that's one of the reasons why I use it. It gives off that "patriotic" vibe when all programs I use are in my native language.

Wheelerof4te

#20 Post by Wheelerof4te »

I think it's important to post this here, as there are still some people who use apt-get:
If you use apt-get to upgrade to buster, you won't be asked about the security repository info changed from 'testing' to 'stable'. Use the --allow-releaseinfo-change option, as Eriberto Mota explains here: http://eriberto.pro.br/blog/2019/07/07/ ... to-stable/ or use apt instead
Once again, apt-get is kept for some scripts, it is obsolete. Use only apt when upgrading, it is better supported.