Forum and server updates - Moving, fixes, and new admins.

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
thinkpadx

Re: Forum and server updates - Moving, fixes, and new admins.

#81 Post by thinkpadx »

well just saw the news and welcome to donald and the rest of the debian people. it is about time some direction and housecleaning was done here. I look forward to all of the help and comments made by the new team here! welcome - as such - even though you guys are from the real debian dev group!

donald
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#82 Post by donald »

thinkpadx wrote: 2021-08-11 19:18 well just saw the news and welcome to donald and the rest of the debian people. it is about time some direction and housecleaning was done here. I look forward to all of the help and comments made by the new team here! welcome - as such - even though you guys are from the real debian dev group!
Thank you! :D

dlu2021

#83 Post by dlu2021 »

I just wanted to post a quick thank you!!

I had been trying unsuccessfully to register an account last December, and after several attempts, just gave up for the time being. Seeing that updates had been made, I decided to give it another go today, and can report that the registration process was much easier, and I had the account activated within a few minutes.

Great job!!

donald

#84 Post by donald »

dlu2021 wrote: 2021-08-14 03:50 I just wanted to post a quick thank you!!

I had been trying unsuccessfully to register an account last December, and after several attempts, just gave up for the time being. Seeing that updates had been made, I decided to give it another go today, and can report that the registration process was much easier, and I had the account activated within a few minutes.

Great job!!
Thank you dlu2021 for giving us another chance, we extend to you a warm welcome and thank you!

sdibaja

#85 Post by sdibaja »

thank you Donald Norwood for your post in Bits from Debian
https://bits.debian.org/2021/08/debianuserforums.html
That article reminded me of this forum, and I really like the new look and feel (perhaps it is my confirmation bias, but whatever)

I do understand this is a huge task for you and your team.

sdibaja

#86 Post by sdibaja »

is this the right place for a Feature Request?
I would like to see sub-forums under Desktop & Multimedia for each of the primary desktops:
Gnome
KDE
LXDE
LXQt
MATE
Xfce

Thanks, Peter

donald

#87 Post by donald »

sdibaja wrote: 2021-08-19 12:58 is this the right place for a Feature Request?
I would like to see sub-forums under Desktop & Multimedia for each of the primary desktops:
Gnome
KDE
LXDE
LXQt
MATE
Xfce

Thanks, Peter
Hi,

Thank you very much for your comments above. :)

Regarding this request, I do not think there are enough users across the Desktops to justify separate sub-forums for each, I think at that level those users go to those native forums or post in bug reports for those Desktops.

Gerowen

#88 Post by Gerowen »

These are some very welcome changes. I had actually stopped using the forums some time back because of the push back I kept getting when asking why a site that required user login credentials wasn't using SSL/TLS when Let's Encrypt offers free certificates. It's really great to hear Debian has offered an official helping hand in improving and upgrading the forums, looking forward to becoming active again, :-)

mrjpaxton

#89 Post by mrjpaxton »

HTTPS really is the best thing for the Internet since buttered toast.

Much appreciated from the bottom of my tech-loving, geeky heart.

I also really appreciate that we still have the dark themes that can be enabled once a user is logged in. I still dislike the default light theme, but it is nostalgic, in a way. Even phpBB itself is still kind of nostalgic, but at least it's still getting officially supported since the year 2000, which is pretty crazy to think about.

We have already passed 21 years of phpBB as a piece of good, viable Internet forum software that still exists.