Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Forum & Community Conduct (amidst Policies that COULD be cited, if there were still opportunity)

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
Aspis

Forum & Community Conduct (amidst Policies that COULD be cited, if there were still opportunity)

#1 Post by Aspis »

Hello.

I would suggest that, I am not an extremely active member of Debian Forums, not actually, though recently I made a few posts within a couple of Debian Forum Threads, & I wanted to cite those couple of Forum Threads to the larger community of Debian Users, as well as the total body of Debian Moderators & Admin, for a hopeful Temperate consideration of the contents, please.

I would as well note that, I am NOT looking to get banned, not actually.
I'll be finished with posting in the Debian Forum for a while upon this particular thread, & hope contexts improve.

As well, I would like to make explicit mention of,
Like within a formal Debate, or a Trial within a Court of Law, contexts could be variably argued, & "Community Policies" & conducts could as well be argued, inclusive the potential that particular contexts could be more explicitly articulated.

There are Debian Community Policies that could be argued in my defense against a probable suspension or reprimand of my own Debian Forum behavoir & conduct.

(#Readers, take snapshots of these thread posts, for your own good, in case, just to reference & consider.
Perhaps they won't ban me, not actually.)

Thank you for reading.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=152239&sid=7aec4e96 ... 0ff45ea29c

viewtopic.php?p=754997#p754997

Note:

I wanted good instructions, cited of Debian Users within the Debian Forum, for DNS Masq, & I as well wanted to comment about the recent Freenode incident, & I searched & read quite a little bit, & I wanted that info FOR the Debian Forum group. I was definitely of good Community intention in my recent posts.

As well note:
I actually did a Debian Forum Search about "Freenode", & upon search result, there were two specific threads that seemed aspectually applicable to my posts about the topic, inclusively aside of the other consequential posts of others priori the thread was LOCKED. I think that there's considerable candid probability that there's a 2nd Debian Forum thread that might have, of confessed suggestion, been a palette more suitable for the post. Perhaps various readers might deduce their own perspectives of amidst cited & implicit contexts.

Thanks again.
What an idiosyncratic, auto-semantic, obvious thing.
How could you miss that?
I'm talking about the Future...
In a Space Ship...
In Outer Space...

"How does an Operating System work?"

It's Information, & Clerical Team Work.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Forum & Community Conduct (amidst Policies that COULD be cited, if there were still opportunity)

#2 Post by sunrat »

@Aspis you're not in line to be banned currently. We are reticent to do that and only a very tiny number have actually forced that to happen.
We just ask for help topics to stick to the point, and rants to go in Offtopic.
Suggested reading - Forum guidelines. Please read before first post!
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

Re: Forum & Community Conduct (amidst Policies that COULD be cited, if there were still opportunity)

#3 Post by arochester »

We are Debian USERS. Ordinary people who use Debian. Not Debian Developers. Not Debian Maintainers. Not professionals.

We aim to help other users with their problems, where we can. If we can't help people we just can't help. We are purely voluntary and we are under no obligation to answer every question that people might throw at us.

If you feel that you are not getting an adequate answer here please feel free to ask elsewhere. Perhaps start here: https://www.debian.org/support

If you want to quote Debian rules at us go ahead. First, ask yourself how USERS of Debian are bound by those rules.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by canci »

I have to admit that this corporate mentality that's been growing here recently, where people think we are a huge company like Reddit with well paid staff or even a country with an entire legal system where individual mods are cops, lawyers and the Supreme Court in one, as well as uptight users -- probably coming from Reddit or similar cesspits -- that think they're about to go on death row because a mod warned them about sticking to the topic at hand... This has to stop. Or preferably be taken back to those proprietary/corporate social networks.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

canci wrote: 2022-06-07 17:56This has to stop.
Just troll them 'til they go. That's what I do :mrgreen:
deadbang

hihashi

#6 Post by hihashi »

I would be concerned, as merely a Debian User that's coming into a Forum & just trying to make a post, especially about a topic like DNS, that a Moderator would try & flout & shut me down with some bogus shiznit.
Especially considering my own experience with some 'moderator' suggesting that I was a "troll", & booting me out, no questions asked, & people looking at that & not realizing that there's a serious problem, not at all.

There's a bunch about DNS. That's not a simple, well documented topic, not at all.

I think that the OP was not actually trying to put the whole hypothetical Debian User Legal System on defense, not at all. If I were a moderator, I would reprimand the two moderators that commented in his other cited threads. They were inappropriate moderator comments, definitely.

Personally, I would prefer a little bit more professional conduct out of any Moderators.
I read the Debian Forum somewhat regularly, & I rarely comment. Coming into the Debian Forum with a topic like DNS specifically is a seriously daunting task. I'm sort of "taking one for the team", so to speak, to try & help about this issue, because I noticed there's serious necessity, & mostly just because the topic really would be helpful to a lot of people. Running a DNS Server for a small network really is what GNU is "about", I would think, & perhaps that's implicit.

The topic could be really helpful to the Community of Debian Users, as well as for the Debian Forum. I agree with that much!

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#7 Post by arochester »

The following WILL have your account warned and banned:
- Several direct interactions from the moderation team
- Being discourteous to other users on a consistent basis
- Being disruptive on the forums
Source - viewtopic.php?f=20&t=149781

Head_on_a_Stick

#8 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

hihashi wrote: 2022-06-10 19:04 I would prefer a little bit more professional conduct out of any Moderators
Well perhaps you should give them some sort of wage then :mrgreen:

Anyway that's not fair. I was a complete wild cannon when I was on the staff and that criticism would certainly apply to me but the rest of the team are pretty ****** good IMO.
deadbang

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#9 Post by canci »

hihashi wrote: 2022-06-10 19:04 Especially considering my own experience with some 'moderator' suggesting that I was a "troll", & booting me out, no questions asked, & people looking at that & not realizing that there's a serious problem, not at all.
Would have been nice to see links or some other proof about that.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

donald
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#10 Post by donald »

@Aspis

Please don't harass the moderation staff, it will have your account locked or removed.

Be certain that this forum is open primarily for the discussion of Debian by its users and developers most of which is technical in nature. We aren't really set up for, nor would we really provide a forum base, just for long rants that do not necessarily have some technical merit to them that do nothing to enhance or share knowledge with the overall community. Sometimes being the people we are, we do need to rant or get things off our chest ... we get that as well and have set up an off-topic subforum just for things of that nature. The moderators have asked you to please keep the longer posts on topic to the topic and your off-topic things confined to the off-topic forum, it would be advisable to do so.

viewforum.php?f=3
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

donald

#11 Post by donald »

hihashi wrote: 2022-06-10 19:04 I would be concerned, as merely a Debian User that's coming into a Forum & just trying to make a post, especially about a topic like DNS, that a Moderator would try & flout & shut me down with some bogus shiznit.
Especially considering my own experience with some 'moderator' suggesting that I was a "troll", & booting me out, no questions asked, & people looking at that & not realizing that there's a serious problem, not at all.

There's a bunch about DNS. That's not a simple, well documented topic, not at all.

I think that the OP was not actually trying to put the whole hypothetical Debian User Legal System on defense, not at all. If I were a moderator, I would reprimand the two moderators that commented in his other cited threads. They were inappropriate moderator comments, definitely.

Personally, I would prefer a little bit more professional conduct out of any Moderators.
I read the Debian Forum somewhat regularly, & I rarely comment. Coming into the Debian Forum with a topic like DNS specifically is a seriously daunting task. I'm sort of "taking one for the team", so to speak, to try & help about this issue, because I noticed there's serious necessity, & mostly just because the topic really would be helpful to a lot of people. Running a DNS Server for a small network really is what GNU is "about", I would think, & perhaps that's implicit.

The topic could be really helpful to the Community of Debian Users, as well as for the Debian Forum. I agree with that much!

I reviewed the moderators comments and see nothing wrong with them in their requests, repeated at this point, to keep things on topic or use the other dedicated forum for his writing style. We do have rules here and they must be followed by everyone to benefit the entire community. Some threads such as the ones the OP posted provide very little information nor, ask specific questions, which muddles the topic for the next person researching it or using a search engine to just come across a long worded post that shares nothing with the reader except frustration.
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank