Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Serious Time-Out Problem

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
KitchM

Serious Time-Out Problem

#1 Post by KitchM »

I just finished a nice update to a topic and when I went to post it a page opened that said I had to log in to post. When I did so, all my information was gone. Wiped out, with no way to recover.

That is unacceptable. Timeouts should never begin a count down unless their has been no activity for a period of time. Also, any activity, even a page scroll, should reset the timer. Further, contents of editor window must be saved until next login.

Deb-fan

Re: Serious Time-Out Problem

#2 Post by Deb-fan »

This type of thing can be aggravating for sure but end of day it's up to whoever is running the server to decide what settings are applied on their end. There's much clients can do for themselves as well. Would suggest exploring that which is totally within your control. Even just select all + copying everything in the post field and pasting into an open text editor or whatever. If someone takes a long time typing out a post, they should realise this kind of thing can happen.

Server admins aren't going to leave idle connections open indefinitely for obvious reasons. Really have to say place blame where it belongs in this, on the client-side/users. Yep have had this happen too so know thy pain but then started taking effective precautions to ensure it didn't keep happening. Reload the tab occasionally, whatever but when this does happen a user is the main party at fault. Admin should do this or that ... it should be like xyz instead, blah blah blah obviously doesn't accomplish anything.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

cuckooflew

#3 Post by cuckooflew »

I would think most people would realize this will happen on most any forum, website, even on Face book, if and when something happens that requires re-loading or refreshing a page, yes, I know, it is a little annoying, but when I get a time out message like that and have to login again I select/copy the text in the page and open a new file locally on my pc, paste the text into it, then continue and log in, then I copy /paste it into the new page/editor, no big deal...I have become accustomed to it, happens on other forums/sites as well,...also any time plan on making a long post, or write something of great importance , it is best to use my text editor on the pc, then after proof reading,etc. when it is done I can save it on the pc, and also copy / paste it into the editor on any forum or website, that also comes in handy if and when I want to post the same text on several sites...There also is a option , if the OP notices it, at the bottom of the editor, "save draft", but you do need to save it as a draft, before it times out...it would be nice if there was a warning, on some forum software there is, EG: "you have 15 seconds to finish or save your work", but in phpBB there is not that feature, and the admins here do not have the kind of permissions/access it would take to modify the forum software, ..any way, no big deal, now the OP should realizethey need to be careful in the future, do their writing off line, and copy/paste it in when it is ready, or save a draft every so often, if they are typing a long post,... this post is rather long, and I am typing slow, no problem with any time out,...but now would be a good time to save a draft, ===saved draft and I was able to use the "back space" to tab back to this and continuem,,, bla,bla, ahh,.. interesting, now there also is a option to "load draft"'==
Also I took a screen shot, and the time it took to resize it, upload it, etc,,,and still no time out,..maybe the problem is PBCAK or something ?
Who knows ? Have a nice day :mrgreen:

Deb-fan

#4 Post by Deb-fan »

Server and forum admin's are not the easiest people to get along with. I've tried pm'ing a bunch over the years, asking them to do perfectly reasonable stuff, like come over and paint my apartment, do the dishes, take out my trash, restock the fridge and no response. :P
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

cuckooflew

#5 Post by cuckooflew »

Seems like if it was really a serious problem there would be a lot more members complaining about this, I am sure some are very slow typists, .... Also on some forums, selecting the "auto login" option helps avoid this.
Oddly, for a experiment I logged out now, after I started writing this,...and yes when I logged out, then logged back in I got the index page, but with Firefox as my browser I was still able to "backspace" back to the tab where I was writing the post, and what I was writing was still in tack,....maybe other browsers do not have that capability ? Maybe rename the topic, "not so serious time out problem" ??? :mrgreen: Have a good night , or day,..

KitchM

#6 Post by KitchM »

There is always a chance that it is on my end, but I can't see how.

golinux

#7 Post by golinux »

KitchM wrote:There is always a chance that it is on my end, but I can't see how.
Just tick the option to stay logged in and you won't have this issue.
May the FORK be with you!

KitchM

#8 Post by KitchM »

Where would I find that?

golinux

#9 Post by golinux »

KitchM wrote:Where would I find that?
It's an option on the login screen.
May the FORK be with you!

KitchM

#10 Post by KitchM »

I found one that says to login automatically, so I ticked that. Let's see if that is what you meant and solves the problem.

KitchM

#11 Post by KitchM »

Yep, it appears you are correct. I have had this open and running for some time now and as long as that box is ticked, I can post as much and as often as I want without any timeout.

By the way, this proves it is a forum software setting and not anything to do with any browser. If that setting was not there the situation would never have occurred. I do not see why admins think that is necessary.

Its like the little sign that pops up when entering the user name and password that warns that the site is not secure. Well what idiot sets up a web site that is not secure? That should be forbidden in this day and age. :roll:

Sorry, I'll step down off my soap box now. :wink:

cuckooflew

#12 Post by cuckooflew »

I do not see why admins think that is necessary.
It is part of the phpBB software, the forum admins have nothing to do with writing the phpBB software.
Some plain logic should explain, but any way:
Some people , like me, as well as others do not want to stay logged in, this is especially important if and when perhaps you are logged in , planning to post but get interrupted and you leave the computer unattended, forgetting to log out, Do you really want to stay logged in even when you are not there ?
I am to tired,and am not going to go into the reasons one might not want to stay logged in, but fortunately we do have the choice/option to decide and select.
Well what idiot sets up a web site that is not secure? That should be forbidden in this day and age.

Why should it be forbidden ? My opinion is that seriously violates free speech and freedom to make our own choices, besides that, just because your browser says it is not secure does not mean it really is not secure. Plus, and even though I am not the person that started this forum, calling the person a idiot, is just plain offensive, it does offend me, I have sever websites on dedicated servers, none use https, ssl certificates, so probably your browser will say they are not secure,but I take security seriously,and you would still say I am a idiot,...the real idiots are the people like you that just assume , since your browser does not say it is not secure,and it does have ssl, or is https, it is secure...so you blindly login or just browse a website that may or may not be secure, see: https://www.semrush.com/blog/https-a-mo ... -security/
and there is quite a few other informative sites that say basically the same, it is not just 1 blog,... go figure. You are free to choose if you want to visit a web site based on what your browser says, me, I like to be able to visit a website, without some browser or politician telling me I can or can not view that site, like wise, we like having the freedom to setup and run a website,blog, forum , etc, so we can say or write whatever we want, etc.(free speech) ...nobody should have the right to say we can not do that, for any reason. Go figure, and please start doing your own research before posting,...oh well, guess that is your right as well, this is a public forum,..
I suppose you are right, a insecure website would be foolish, the thing of it is, just because your browser says it is not secure does not mean it is not secure, that little dropdown is triggered when a site does not use https, and has absolutely nothing to do with the real security or lack of on any website,
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

Head_on_a_Stick

#13 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

KitchM wrote:this proves it is a forum software setting and not anything to do with any browser. If that setting was not there the situation would never have occurred. I do not see why admins think that is necessary.
I do not have the autologin option enabled and I never get logged out automatically.
KitchM wrote:what idiot sets up a web site that is not secure?
Your respect for the people who are providing this *free* service for the community is truly overwhelming :roll:

EDIT: @cuckooflew, how are the parrots? :P
deadbang

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Post by sunrat »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:EDIT: @cuckooflew, how are the parrots? :P
:wink:
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

arzgi

#15 Post by arzgi »

sunrat wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:EDIT: @cuckooflew, how are the parrots? :P
:wink:
i was wondering that too!

cuckooflew

#16 Post by cuckooflew »

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-05-30 09:16
------some text cut -----------
EDIT: @cuckooflew, how are the parrots?

Parrots ? ----thinking--------- oh, those parrots, ahh they are fine, thank you for asking, but probably better in offtopic or PM, you can PM me if you want, I don't want to de-rail this topic and some people do not like birds anyway.
Any way , also , back on the topic,
Postby KitchM » 2020-05-29 16:53
Yep, it appears you are correct. I have had this open and running for some time now and as long as that box is ticked, I can post as much and as often as I want without any timeout.

By the way, this proves it is a forum software setting and not anything to do with any browser. If that setting was not there the situation would never have occurred. I do not see why admins think that is necessary. --some more text removed ----
If that option/setting was not there, you would not have been able to change it to the setting you prefer, go figure.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

KitchM

#17 Post by KitchM »

(Damn, I'm still not getting notifications.)

@cuckooflew,
No, no, no! If there is one thing that compromises free speech it is not having security. Governments continually try to take control and hamper our free speech. Proper security stops the prying eyes.

There is never a time when a web server should display a page that is not secure. There should be https everywhere, without exception. This is a fundamental thing we do to help protect ourselves, our visitors and the Internet as a whole. We are either a part of the solution or a part of the problem. How could we say No to such a simple and fundamental issue. It is free and is easily set up from the administrator server panel.

Every single person on the planet has been or will be an idiot at one time or another. That is a fact. We need to get over it. Having good intent does not ever excuse stupid decisions. Worse is when they have far reaching affect.

For instance, the link you offered causes a Captcha loop. You’d think the site admin had actually tried it out. Obviously not.

Further, all software can be tweaked, and nothing is more simple than forum software that has a plethora of setting choices and plugins available. Just learn to use them correctly, or get help from the author.

By the way, people are always free to do foolish things, think foolish thoughts and say foolish things. However, there are laws. The laws are in place to protect the rest of us from that foolishness, so ultimate freedom does not exist, nor should it. That is why we all set up governments, or are free to go where they do not exist. One’s freedom ends where another’s begins. So basically any talk of freedom, especially in this subject, is a red herring.

@ Head_on_a_Stick,
You made another bad assumption. Just because someone (who is unidentified, by the way) has made a bone-headed mistake in no way invalidates the other good service they have provided or indicates a lack of gratefulness for it. Why in the world would you assume that?

By the way, you folks seem to have an inside joke about parrots. You may wish to let the rest of us in on it.

And, cuckooflew, please clarify your last comment.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#18 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

The government must have been messing with your post.
If only we had the https padlock it could have been coherent and sounded sane.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

KitchM

#19 Post by KitchM »

It could be something they put in your water.