Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Bad Addresses

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
KitchM

Bad Addresses

#1 Post by KitchM »

None of the posted addresses under HOWTO contact forum admins actually go thru. Have tried both and get bounced back:
The mail system

<removed by admin>: host tartini.debian.net[217.196.43.138] said: 452
4.3.1 Insufficient system storage (in reply to MAIL FROM command)
The delivery report states:
Reporting-MTA: dns; w1.tutanota.de
X-Postfix-Queue-ID: 754A5FA00E0
X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822; removed by admin
Arrival-Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 20:48:56 +0000 (UTC)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; removed
Original-Recipient: rfc822 removed
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; tartini.debian.net
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 452 4.3.1 Insufficient system storage

cuckooflew

Re: Bad Addresses

#2 Post by cuckooflew »

I don't know much, I tried the same e-mail and got the same results, it bounces. I don't believe they are using tartini.net : ( host tartini.debian.net) anymore, maybe the admin 4D696B65 here know something more on this, I would PM him if it is something you want to keep private, otherwise just post any problem here.
=From: https://sitereport.netcraft.com/?url=forums.debian.net

Code: Select all

Site 	http://forums.debian.net
Netblock Owner 	De Telegraaf
Domain 	debian.net
Nameserver 	denis.debian.org
IP address 	217.196.43.138 (VirusTotal)
DNS admin 	hostmaster@debian.org
IPv6 address 	Not Present
Reverse DNS 	unknown
Domain registrar 	gandi.net
Nameserver organisation 	whois.pir.org
Organisation 	Software in the Public Interest, Inc. - Debian Project, REDACTED FOR PRIVACY, REDACTED FOR PRIVACY, United States
Hosting company denis.debian.org
IP address 	217.196.43.138 (VirusTotal)
DNS admin 	hostmaster@debian.org
IPv6 address 	Not Present
Reverse DNS 	unknown
Domain registrar 	gandi.net
Nameserver organisation 	whois.pir.org
Organisation 	Software in the Public Interest, Inc. - Debian Project, REDACTED FOR PRIVACY, REDACTED FOR PRIVACY, United States
Hosting company 	Cloudflare 
======= edit ===
side note:
Someone should probably update the topic, since it is no longer accurate :
HOWTO contact forum admins

http://forums.debian.net/memberlist.php ... file&u=136
Jeroen
Last visited:
2008-06-25 06:27
Good luck contacting him :mrgreen:
=======
Just a thought ,, on my part , but it seems to me like the orginal founder, and administrators lost interest and abandoned this forum some time ago. I do appreciate the fact the there is someone whom apparently keeps the server running (to some extent) , but really , if they are not able, or willing to perform routine maintenance, and keep contact info up to date, etc, ..well maybe they should try to find some volunteers that are willing and able ?
Last edited by cuckooflew on 2020-05-24 13:50, edited 1 time in total.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#3 Post by 4D696B65 »

Hi, I don't have access to the server, its logs or anything else server related. I am in the dark here. I use the same email to contact the orange guys (server admins).
This is interesting though. After some reading I found that Insufficient system storage on the server can cause the mysql issue.

cuckooflew

#4 Post by cuckooflew »

Your right on that, and often this occurs when tons of old logs pile up, etc,... but also a ddos attack can cause similar problems. Any way, personally I do appreciate your doing what you can here.
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and

cuckooflew

#5 Post by cuckooflew »

I had not given it any thought, but the OP might want to edit and munge their e-mail address, if it is valid.
Scrapers could and do pass things like that on to e-mail spammers, etc.
========== edit ===========
Also , if the e-mail was sent at the same time the forum was down, it would bounce ,and the forum has been down 3 times recently.
and

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#6 Post by 4D696B65 »

cuckooflew wrote:I had not given it any thought, but the OP might want to edit and munge their e-mail address, if it is valid.
Scrapers could and do pass things like that on to e-mail spammers, etc.
========== edit ===========
Also , if the e-mail was sent at the same time the forum was down, it would bounce ,and the forum has been down 3 times recently.
I removed email address from OP.

KitchM

#7 Post by KitchM »

So who are the admins?

RU55EL

#8 Post by RU55EL »

The members with their user name in red.

cuckooflew

#9 Post by cuckooflew »

Look at the bottom of the forum index page, there is a line, very clear:
Registered users: Bloom, dcihon
Legend: Administrators,Global moderators,Server Admins, Spam Hunters
On the actual index page, each one is colour coded, if and when they post , the colour indicates what they are, eg: 4D696B65 is red, this indicates he is a forum admin, and actually the only active one, the other Absent Minded, has not visited the forum for some time now, :

Last visited:
    2019-04-23 21:30
a little less then a year ago,... If you mean the server admins, they are "mez" and Ganneff ,... some search foo, and /or also reading some of the very old posts will give you more information,....
=======================
Also I think, if you feel you need to contact the admins by e-mail, it is up and running now, the e-mail should go through, and I maybe was mistaken, tartini.debian.net is still in use.
If you read this post: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 30#p720211 and look at the links shared by Dilberts-left-nut,...https://lists.debian.org/debian-infrast ... 00002.html
Some of this may make better sense, all though I am not sure it is directly related or not, I suspect it is though, any way, if the server that the forum is on is down, then also the e-mail is down as well, probably that is why your e-mail bounced. I did send a test e-mail yesterday , and it has not bounced, so I think that is back up now, if it isn't, I am sure they will get to it in due time,...this forum is not a priority for the Debian.org and .net, there are several other servers involved and what it takes to keep the infrastructure running is first priority. This forum is at the bottom, and actually is not even a part of Debian.org all though the server was originally set-up by a developer. "Mez", of course this was way before my time, I only recently joined the forum. In any event, I think the forum is pretty good, and like it because it is dedicated to just Debian , (mostly) compared to most other forums where they through all the distros into one category "Linux", and one needs to weed out the posts related to Debian. I have no interest in the other linux distros my self,..the admins and moderators here do pretty good with keeping it specific to Debian, also several members are all ways quick to point out, "Debian is NOT Ubuntu", or Kali, Mint, etc. With that said, I see this post is way to long, and probably it will go unread.
Last edited by cuckooflew on 2020-05-25 20:12, edited 1 time in total.
and

RU55EL

#10 Post by RU55EL »

I see this post is way to long, and probably it will go unread, the average member/user, have very limited reading / attention span, but that is another topic all together.
Your post is quite detailed and not too long, in my opinion. Much better than my reply. I enjoyed reading it. Thanks.

cuckooflew

#11 Post by cuckooflew »

Well, thanks...side note , I made a edit, but after the quote was posted, decided that part was really kind of poorly worded....but what I mean, many readers just skim over posts, and when they are very long, they don't usually take the time to read it.
and

KitchM

#12 Post by KitchM »

No, not too long at all. I appreciate the detail. It always helps.

And I always read all the posts in my threads.

KitchM

#13 Post by KitchM »

Okay, still not working. I received this report:
Reporting-MTA: dns; w1.tutanota.de
X-Postfix-Queue-ID: 8E64AFA03E9
X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822; kitchm@tutanota.com
Arrival-Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 18:30:16 +0000 (UTC)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; admin@forums.debian.net
Original-Recipient: rfc822;admin@forums.debian.net
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; tartini.debian.net
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 450 4.1.7 <kitchm@tutanota.com>: Sender address
rejected: unverified address: host mail.tutanota.de[81.3.6.165] said: 450
4.7.1 Client host rejected: cannot find your reverse hostname,
[217.196.43.138] (in reply to RCPT TO command)

I believe that I had verified my address when I signed up, so this makes no sense.

cuckooflew

#14 Post by cuckooflew »

You also might want to consider removing or munging your e-mail address in the post. posting it on a public board will attract a lot of e-mail spam.
I do not understand why it would get rejected either, I am far from being any expert on e-mail protocol, something may have changed since when you signed up here. What about when you send e-mail to ther persons ?
and

KitchM

#15 Post by KitchM »

No problems with anyone or anywhere else. There just seems to be a misconfiguration in the settings of the forum.

But we do see other issues in this forum as well, so it is not an isolated problem. The forum will block non-specific IP addresses for no good reason. It does not have a secure web site. So the issue that admins are not getting any email is no surprise.

I would be glad to help with the admin job if wanted.

KitchM

#16 Post by KitchM »

I also noticed an underlying theme which may be misleading. Do I understand correctly that Debian.org owns forums.debian.net?

The registrant is listed as Software in the Public Interest, Inc. - Debian Project. However, it does not appear that SPI handles servers of any sort for the various projects.

cuckooflew

#17 Post by cuckooflew »

Do I understand correctly that Debian.org owns forums.debian.net?
I don't think that is correct, I do not understand what you mean "the Registrant" ?But no , forums.debian.net is not part of or involved with "Software in the Public Interest, Inc. - Debian Project." All though it is on the debian.org website, support, it is mentioned and a link to the forum is provided.
RE:
I would be glad to help with the admin job if wanted.
See:
http://forums.debian.net/memberlist.php ... roup&g=158
Server Admins

This is a closed group, new members can only join upon invitation of a group leader.
Unless you know either Mez or Ganneff personally, or in reverse if they know you, I am sure if they wanted help , one of them would contact you. I am not sure you understand or realize the trust factor involved to start with, maybe you do.
Yes, there are a lot of problems with the forum, Are you really qualified to repair them ? based on many of your other questions, and please, I hope this does not seem rude, but based on the questions I have seen you ask here, I find it hard to believe you would be qualified and able to solve the various issues with the forum, some seem trivial, but actually it is not a trivial task at all, would be very time consuming and keep in mind very short downtime, is important.
Re:
The forum will block non-specific IP addresses for no good reason
This would be a entirely different topic, but same category ( Forum stuff & feedback ) But if and when you start that topic, be prepared to tell us how it is you know non-specific IP addresses are getting blocked, and perhaps clarify what you mean with that.... Off hand I imagine it is related to blocking spammers,...they are well known for using random and non-specific IP addresses, the phpBB software includes a administrative option, to block IP's ,e-mail , and user names, often a IP that is abusive , repetitively , in many cases several times in a hour, if left unblocked 100's of times in a day, when a IP is being used for spam posts, it gets blocked for a period of time, the forum admins select the time period, any way, I should not need to explain all these details to someone that is or claims to be qualified to be a forum administrator, and someone qualified to be a server admin, well they would know much more then me, I can only scratch the surface on that subject, most of my experience is from helping someone much older,more experienced and wiser. All though I do own several dedicated servers my self, for example: especially with security issues I needed to hire a technician to help on that, but I guess that is another topic. But believe me, finding a tech that is trustworthy, has time available, and at a reasonable price is not a trivial task either, unless one happens to personally know one, but even then the "time available", is difficult. IT techs that are trustworthy,etc stay very busy these days.
Anyway, I am sure your offer to help is appreciated, a good starting point would be the "spamhunters" Also perhaps consider first joining some of the mailing-lists, eg: debian-wwwthere are several other mail lists, :MailingLists or
https://lists.debian.org/ The Debian wiki is open to volunteers and need a lot of work, many pages are out of date. If the wiki was more uptodate, there would be less need to ask so many questions here.. any way, I am tired now..have a good day
==== edit====
P.S. Your Debian system comes with 2 commands, default, see 'man dig' and 'man whois' they can be used to determine whois the owner of a domain and/or the IP associated with the domain,..who owns the forum is not any secret.
and

cuckooflew

#18 Post by cuckooflew »

4D696B65 wrote:Hi, I don't have access to the server, its logs or anything else server related. I am in the dark here. I use the same email to contact the orange guys (server admins).
This is interesting though. After some reading I found that Insufficient system storage on the server can cause the mysql issue.
I know, and this is a real problem, 4D696B65 I think you really do a excellent job, with very limited resources, or permissions. The real problem is lack of communication on part of the server admins, I don't mean to bash them, after all without the server and the fact that it hosts the forum, where would we be ?
Look at the last time any of the server admins actually visited the forum:
Mez
Last visited:
2019-08-09 07:34

A little less then a year ago,...
==================
Ganneff
Actually, he has the "last visited" blocked, it does not say...there is a option on phpBB forums, admins can do that. ... But any way, it seems like one of them would at least check in once and a while, do some basic maintenance, like clear the cache, and free up some space in the mysql data base, to avoid crashes, etc, and now the e-mail issue, ....no way to contact them is not good. I realize they are probably very busy, and since they are developers, maybe the forum is not important, obviously they are advanced enough and familiar enough with Debian, no need for the forum, but for those that are new to Debian there is a need, it is important. There is the mailing lists, but many of us do not like using a mailing list, I say we, because I am one person that really does not like the mail lists much, for various reasons, any way I have to many chores today, my helper needed a day off, so I guess I better get busy with that. That is all for now.
and

KitchM

#19 Post by KitchM »

A "Registrant" is the person who signs up a domain name with a Registrar.
I don't think that is correct,...
So you are not sure. I am, based upon the public records.
I find it hard to believe you would be qualified and able to solve the various issues with the forum...
That would be a bad assumption.
be prepared to tell us how it is you know non-specific IP addresses are getting blocked...
Of course I am. Please do not assume I am not. However, doing so now would simply confuse the issue.
I should not need to explain all these details to someone that is or claims to be qualified to be a forum administrator, and someone qualified to be a server admin,...
That is correct; you do not.
...see 'man dig' and 'man whois'...
FYI, more appropriate is to use whois.com or whois.org.

I agree with the problem of lack of contact with the sysadmins. The earlier link given showed me how to find them in this forum. That was appreciated and I did send them both a PM. Let’s see if that works. There is very little more we can do. Of course, we could try to contact the registrant. In fact, I may have already done that.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#20 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

KitchM wrote:

Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 450 4.1.7 <kitchm@tutanota.com>: Sender address
    rejected: unverified address: host mail.tutanota.de[81.3.6.165] said: 450
    4.7.1 Client host rejected: cannot find your reverse hostname,
    [217.196.43.138] (in reply to RCPT TO command)
Your mail server is rejecting the sender address verification probe so tartini thinks you are an sending from an invalid address.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...