Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Forum and server updates - Moving, fixes, and new admins.

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
thinkpadx

Re: Forum and server updates - Moving, fixes, and new admins.

#81 Post by thinkpadx »

well just saw the news and welcome to donald and the rest of the debian people. it is about time some direction and housecleaning was done here. I look forward to all of the help and comments made by the new team here! welcome - as such - even though you guys are from the real debian dev group!

donald
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#82 Post by donald »

thinkpadx wrote: 2021-08-11 19:18 well just saw the news and welcome to donald and the rest of the debian people. it is about time some direction and housecleaning was done here. I look forward to all of the help and comments made by the new team here! welcome - as such - even though you guys are from the real debian dev group!
Thank you! :D
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

dlu2021

#83 Post by dlu2021 »

I just wanted to post a quick thank you!!

I had been trying unsuccessfully to register an account last December, and after several attempts, just gave up for the time being. Seeing that updates had been made, I decided to give it another go today, and can report that the registration process was much easier, and I had the account activated within a few minutes.

Great job!!

donald

#84 Post by donald »

dlu2021 wrote: 2021-08-14 03:50 I just wanted to post a quick thank you!!

I had been trying unsuccessfully to register an account last December, and after several attempts, just gave up for the time being. Seeing that updates had been made, I decided to give it another go today, and can report that the registration process was much easier, and I had the account activated within a few minutes.

Great job!!
Thank you dlu2021 for giving us another chance, we extend to you a warm welcome and thank you!
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

sdibaja

#85 Post by sdibaja »

thank you Donald Norwood for your post in Bits from Debian
https://bits.debian.org/2021/08/debianuserforums.html
That article reminded me of this forum, and I really like the new look and feel (perhaps it is my confirmation bias, but whatever)

I do understand this is a huge task for you and your team.

sdibaja

#86 Post by sdibaja »

is this the right place for a Feature Request?
I would like to see sub-forums under Desktop & Multimedia for each of the primary desktops:
Gnome
KDE
LXDE
LXQt
MATE
Xfce

Thanks, Peter

donald

#87 Post by donald »

sdibaja wrote: 2021-08-19 12:58 is this the right place for a Feature Request?
I would like to see sub-forums under Desktop & Multimedia for each of the primary desktops:
Gnome
KDE
LXDE
LXQt
MATE
Xfce

Thanks, Peter
Hi,

Thank you very much for your comments above. :)

Regarding this request, I do not think there are enough users across the Desktops to justify separate sub-forums for each, I think at that level those users go to those native forums or post in bug reports for those Desktops.
Typo perfectionish.

Gerowen
XMMP/Jabber: gerowen@conversations.im

#88 Post by Gerowen »

These are some very welcome changes. I had actually stopped using the forums some time back because of the push back I kept getting when asking why a site that required user login credentials wasn't using SSL/TLS when Let's Encrypt offers free certificates. It's really great to hear Debian has offered an official helping hand in improving and upgrading the forums, looking forward to becoming active again, :-)

mrjpaxton

#89 Post by mrjpaxton »

HTTPS really is the best thing for the Internet since buttered toast.

Much appreciated from the bottom of my tech-loving, geeky heart.

I also really appreciate that we still have the dark themes that can be enabled once a user is logged in. I still dislike the default light theme, but it is nostalgic, in a way. Even phpBB itself is still kind of nostalgic, but at least it's still getting officially supported since the year 2000, which is pretty crazy to think about.

We have already passed 21 years of phpBB as a piece of good, viable Internet forum software that still exists.

ticojohn

#90 Post by ticojohn »

Oops! Did forums.debian.net just have a certificate issue? Or maybe a server issue. I was trying to connect to the site using Firefox and got a message that there was an issue with the certificate. This occurred from about 2:00 PM to 3:20 PM my time, CST, on Sept. 30, 2021. The site came back up at around 3:20 PM but the page loading is really slow.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

sdibaja

#91 Post by sdibaja »

Rapid for me here. Firefox Android...in Mexico

ticojohn

#92 Post by ticojohn »

sdibaja wrote: 2021-09-30 23:10 Rapid for me here. Firefox Android...in Mexico
It is for me, now. But during the time period I mentioned I couldn't connect because of a reported certificate issue. I couldn't even connect using my android phone. Probably never find out what might have happened. But good to see it is back up and full speed ahead. :D

ticojohn

#93 Post by ticojohn »

Figured out the connectivity issue. This site uses the Lets Encrypt certificate which expired yesterday. DOH!

donald

#94 Post by donald »

ticojohn wrote: 2021-10-01 13:24 Figured out the connectivity issue. This site uses the Lets Encrypt certificate which expired yesterday. DOH!
When I first read the replies that is what I thought but our certificate automatically renews and is valid until December 10, 2021 at which point it will renew again. Maybe just a hiccup somewhere?
Typo perfectionish.

ticojohn

#95 Post by ticojohn »

donald wrote: 2021-10-02 06:10
ticojohn wrote: 2021-10-01 13:24 Figured out the connectivity issue. This site uses the Lets Encrypt certificate which expired yesterday. DOH!
When I first read the replies that is what I thought but our certificate automatically renews and is valid until December 10, 2021 at which point it will renew again. Maybe just a hiccup somewhere?
Big hiccup. I think the problem was with Let Encrypt, not with the user certificates. Their root certificate, IdentTrust DST Root CA X3, expired and it affected a lot of web sites. I imagine there was a lot of scrambling to get things back up. As I said in my post, I was unable to connect to https://forums.debian.net for about two hours. But all's well that ends well. :D

sdibaja

#96 Post by sdibaja »

ticojohn wrote: 2021-10-02 13:38
donald wrote: 2021-10-02 06:10
Big hiccup. I think the problem was with Let Encrypt, not with the user certificates. Their root certificate, IdentTrust DST Root CA X3, expired and it affected a lot of web sites. I imagine there was a lot of scrambling to get things back up. As I said in my post, I was unable to connect to https://forums.debian.net for about two hours. But all's well that ends well. :D
my wild guess is that it was your Browser blocking it temporarily.
I have not read of anyone else having this issue, so it may have been just a few.

I do have to bypass a few flagged certificates on occasion, but not here.

ticojohn

#97 Post by ticojohn »

sdibaja wrote: 2021-10-02 14:19
I have not read of anyone else having this issue, so it may have been just a few.
Really? :shock: The news was FULL of reports of millions of people affected.

This link will give you an idea of the scale of the issue.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/fortinet- ... t-expires/

sdibaja

#98 Post by sdibaja »

ticojohn wrote: 2021-10-02 14:31
sdibaja wrote: 2021-10-02 14:19
Really? :shock: The news was FULL of reports of millions of people affected.

This link will give you an idea of the scale of the issue.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/fortinet- ... t-expires/
I had to google it. None if the sites are on my reading list.

D2b2426R5d

#99 Post by D2b2426R5d »

donald wrote: 2021-07-13 23:53 [*]SSL (HTTPS!!) enabled.
Thanks for TLS. Been waiting for that since 2019, when I left the forum to come back only once this is complete. Well done.

However, I'd like to point out that https://debian.net/ redirects to https://www.debian.org/ with error.

Code: Select all

Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead

Firefox detected a potential security threat and did not continue to debian.net. If you visit this site, attackers could try to steal information like your passwords, emails, or credit card details.

Error code: SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN

Cert presented to the browser while on debian.net is actually debian.org one, which throws an error.

donald

#100 Post by donald »

D2b2426R5d wrote: 2021-10-10 18:08
donald wrote: 2021-07-13 23:53 [*]SSL (HTTPS!!) enabled.
Thanks for TLS. Been waiting for that since 2019, when I left the forum to come back only once this is complete. Well done.

However, I'd like to point out that https://debian.net/ redirects to https://www.debian.org/ with error.

Code: Select all

Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead

Firefox detected a potential security threat and did not continue to debian.net. If you visit this site, attackers could try to steal information like your passwords, emails, or credit card details.

Error code: SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN

Cert presented to the browser while on debian.net is actually debian.org one, which throws an error.
Hi D2b2426R5d!,

debian.net should resolve to debian.org as there no official debian.net. debian.net serves as the DNS alias host domain for services/ experimental/ personal project / immature projects. Which translates to mean that all of the subdomains resolved to debian.net such as foo.debian.net, bar.debian.net, forums.debian.net are run by individual Debian Developers.
Typo perfectionish.