Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Forum and server updates - Moving, fixes, and new admins.

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
donald
Debian Developer, Site Admin

Forum and server updates - Moving, fixes, and new admins.

#1 Post by donald »

Dear Community,

Thank you for all of your support, interest, and wisdom over the years. forums.debian.net is an amazing resource of information, knowledge, and a testament to the large Debian community.

To continue "To infinity and beyond", as buzz (Debian 1.1) would say, we have a few changes that are being introduced here on the forums that you will see over the next coming days.

We are happy to announce that we are moving from our present server to a new server and network hosted directly within the Debian infrastructure.

This move provides several opportunities to modernize the server hardware and will address several overdue concerns such as enabling SSL, updating the forum software, and fixing the issues with DNS, reCaptcha, and email systems.

A few other changes that you will notice are the consolidation of some of the older threads and sub-forums to make searching and indexing of the forums a lot easier. One of those several but small changes will see that the news and announcement section is changed to feature and highlight information directly from and about the Debian project. We are also in the process of archiving and/or updating several of the announcement/threads regarding forum: use, behavior, and contacts. Please be on the looking for these updated threads which will be sticky-ed at the top of most pages.

Debian Developers: Paulo Henrique de Lima Santana (phls), Felix Lechner (lechner), and Donald Norwood (donald) have been added to the forum's Server and Administration teams.

We hope that you will enjoy the new changes and continue to make FDN the most informed forums of knowledge and know-how on the internet.

To reach the administration staff please email admin@forums.debian.net for issues with accounts or technical issues.

To reach the moderation team please email team@forums.debian.net for issues with spam, offensive behaviors, or concerns
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

craigevil

Re: Forum and server updates - Moving, fixes, and new admins

#2 Post by craigevil »

Great News! Here's hoping the server changes all go over without a hitch. :D
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Forum and server updates - Moving, fixes, and new admins

#3 Post by Hallvor »

Welcome! It is great to have developers on board. I hope you'll find the time to be active in the forum as well.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

donald

Re: Forum and server updates - Moving, fixes, and new admins.

#4 Post by donald »

The forums.debian.net have been updated to a new speedy host.

The transition was a little bumpy but we were able to get everything going.

There will be a few tweaks here and there in the background which may cause a few minutes of downtime over the next few days. We would like to thank you in advance for your patience. :)

Biggest highlights:
  • DNS resolved
  • SSL (HTTPS!!) enabled.
  • reCaptcha enabled.
  • There are 5 new styles you may use for your color preference.
Huge Thank You to the Debian DSA team and Ganneff who dedicated time, know-how, and the coordination to make this happen.
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by sunrat »

Nice work donald! Seems to be working well.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#6 Post by 4D696B65 »

Thanks Donald, we appreciate all your hard work. :D

golinux

#7 Post by golinux »

Thanks for your time and effort. While it's good to have the forum updated, there is a downside for me. Disclaimer: I don't like change. :( There used to be a nice red theme that I had customized that seems to have been removed. I cycled through all the options available and found them to be very meh. And now there are no borders to delineate items from each other. Also a lot of icons aren't showing like the style buttons above, the button on the quote window below and the report and reply buttons in the thread responses etc. Not quite sure yet whether that is buried somewhere in my filtering or on your end. And user info on the right is annoying. Maybe there is an option somewhere to get it on the left. All I know is that it does not make me happy to have to fuss with "fixing" things that are now visually broken.
May the FORK be with you!

donald

#8 Post by donald »

4D696B65 wrote: 2021-07-14 01:25 Thanks Donald, we appreciate all your hard work. :D
sunrat wrote: 2021-07-14 01:24 Nice work donald! Seems to be working well.
Thank you, and thank you both for all your work around here.

golinux wrote: 2021-07-14 02:35 Thanks for your time and effort. While it's good to have the forum updated, there is a downside for me. Disclaimer: I don't like change. :( There used to be a nice red theme that I had customized that seems to have been removed. I cycled through all the options available and found them to be very meh. And now there are no borders to delineate items from each other.
Some of the previous styles were 10+ yeas old and didn't make it through to this newest update. I added 3 extra styles which are red: reds, GraandNew, and Virus. Give one of those a shot.
golinux wrote: 2021-07-14 02:35 Also a lot of icons aren't showing like the style buttons above, the button on the quote window below and the report and reply buttons in the thread responses etc. Not quite sure yet whether that is buried somewhere in my filtering or on your end. And user info on the right is annoying. Maybe there is an option somewhere to get it on the left. All I know is that it does not make me happy to have to fuss with "fixing" things that are now visually broken.
Can you screen cap the missing buttons? I see full functionality via my view.

Indeed the user info on the right was a bit daunting but I've gotten used to it. Not sure if it translates across all of the newer styles. Could you try and let me know?
Typo perfectionish.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Post by sunrat »

I haven't noticed anything missing using prosilver theme. Looks quite pleasant.
There is one positive unpredicted change now - the board time is actually correct! 8) It was always 11 minutes out before.
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

golinux

#10 Post by golinux »

Thanks, Donald. I appreciate the response.

LOL! Yes . . . I've been around this forum for about 10 years and miss my old, friendly red theme.

Hmmm . . . reds, GraandNew, and Virus. Of those 3 GraandNew would be my preference. As you can see from the screenie, I'm currently on flat blue but it is just too bright. I just noticed that the icons aren't working on GraandNew either.

Requested screenshot is here but won't be for long. Maybe 2 days . . .
https://transfer.sh/1xsMElL/no-icons.png

Ideas?

Thanks,
golinux

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Post by sunrat »

golinux wrote: 2021-07-14 04:14 As you can see from the screenie, I'm currently on flat blue but it is just too bright. I just noticed that the icons aren't working on GraandNew either.

Requested screenshot is here but won't be for long. Maybe 2 days . . .
https://transfer.sh/1xsMElL/no-icons.png

Ideas?
I just tried flat blue and those icons are present here.
Clear browser cache? Check if an add-on is blocking icons?
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

golinux

#12 Post by golinux »

sunrat wrote: 2021-07-14 04:33 I just tried flat blue and those icons are present here.
Clear browser cache? Check if an add-on is blocking icons?
Cleared cache. No joy. uBlock Origin isn't blocking anything on the forum and I just disabled it to make sure it wasn't one of the filters. Still no icons. My custom css only tweaks some margins and changes the gawd awful pink hover color to something sane. Nothing in userChrome.css either. I am on FF 68.9.0esr (32-bit). Other browsers won't access because of the certificate thing. This is a bummer. At least the text pops up on hover but that's a pretty clunky way to navigate the site . . .

Ganneff

#13 Post by Ganneff »

golinux wrote: 2021-07-14 06:03 Cleared cache. No joy. uBlock Origin isn't blocking anything on the forum and I just disabled it to make sure it wasn't one of the filters. Still no icons. My custom css only tweaks some margins and changes the gawd awful pink hover color to something sane. Nothing in userChrome.css either. I am on FF 68.9.0esr (32-bit). Other browsers won't access because of the certificate thing. This is a bummer. At least the text pops up on hover but that's a pretty clunky way to navigate the site . . .
Nice. I tried in various themes. Can not reproduce.
And I am a user of ublock origin *and* umatrix. Firefox 78, and the latest from flatpak (89 or so?)

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#14 Post by wizard10000 »

Very nice :)

Still exploring a little bit but it appears to me to be a pretty amazing job with minimal downtime. Many thanks to all involved.

edit: really liking this flat theme also :)
Last edited by wizard10000 on 2021-07-14 14:45, edited 1 time in total.
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin

ticojohn

#15 Post by ticojohn »

sunrat wrote: 2021-07-14 04:08 I haven't noticed anything missing using prosilver theme. Looks quite pleasant.
There is one positive unpredicted change now - the board time is actually correct! 8) It was always 11 minutes out before.
I saw that. The time being off by 11 minutes, or so, always bugged the heck out of me. I too am not a big fan of change, but the new look may grow on me. Great job team!
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

arzgi

#16 Post by arzgi »

Nice look, thanks! And works now better on my phone also, great job!

craigevil

#17 Post by craigevil »

woohoo https after all these yrs. Great job!!
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

Marie SWE

#18 Post by Marie SWE »

Congrats to the server move and nice to see https in the address field. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I like multi options of board style 8) Purplexion was quite nice.. :)
With a little shy wonderment, as I am a new member in here.. I wonder if there are possible to add other dark themes?
I looked around among all the phpbb themes and these look quite appealing.
On first place https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/prodvgfx/
second one https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/pro_mod/
third https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/carbon_2/
fourth https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/pycode/

just a little wonderment, nothing more. :wink:

Congratulations once again on the successful server move :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Why make things complicated in life, if you can make it easier for yourself... Do it. ;o)
You only have one life, so make the most of it and enjoy it while you can.

donald

#19 Post by donald »

wizard10000 wrote: 2021-07-14 12:52 Very nice :)

Still exploring a little bit but it appears to me to be a pretty amazing job with minimal downtime. Many thanks to all involved.

edit: really liking this flat theme also :)
Thank you! The flat one was my favorite, recently I switched to the red2020 and love it...however proDVGX is pretty nice as well. Enjoy!

ticojohn wrote: 2021-07-14 13:35
sunrat wrote: 2021-07-14 04:08 I haven't noticed anything missing using prosilver theme. Looks quite pleasant.
I saw that. The time being off by 11 minutes, or so, always bugged the heck out of me. I too am not a big fan of change, but the new look may grow on me. Great job team!
Yeah when I first got here the time kept throwing me off. Reading the logs was a challenge if you didn't remember it immediately. :D
Typo perfectionish.

donald

#20 Post by donald »

arzgi wrote: 2021-07-14 14:40 Nice look, thanks! And works now better on my phone also, great job!
I didn't really consider the mobile look, just assumed that at this point of Internet things would be automatic. Glad to hear it is working. Thanks!

craigevil wrote: 2021-07-14 15:31 woohoo https after all these yrs. Great job!!
I think this was the biggest change that everyone wanted, everything else is just Window Dressing....as we discuss the different board styles to use. :D
Typo perfectionish.