Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Forum and server updates - Moving, fixes, and new admins.

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
donald
Debian Developer, Site Admin

Re: Forum and server updates - Moving, fixes, and new admins.

#21 Post by donald »

Marie SWE wrote: 2021-07-14 16:17 Congrats to the server move and nice to see https in the address field. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I like multi options of board style 8) Purplexion was quite nice.. :)
With a little shy wonderment, as I am a new member in here.. I wonder if there are possible to add other dark themes?
I looked around among all the phpbb themes and these look quite appealing.
On first place https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/prodvgfx/
second one https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/pro_mod/
third https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/carbon_2/
fourth https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/pycode/

just a little wonderment, nothing more. :wink:

Congratulations once again on the successful server move :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thank you!

I installed: proDVGX, pycode, and Carbon. Promod was a bit old.

The sizing of the logo needs to be tinkered with, give me a bit of downtime and I'll get to it, but you can certainly preview it in the meantime. proDVGX is my fav so far.
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

donald

#22 Post by donald »

Re-Indexing, forum moves:

A few of the sections, descriptions, and locations have been changed. Links still work but the items are better homed for indexing, searching, and tidiness.

[Debian Development] (New)
Development discussion
Debian News, and Announcements
News & Announcements

[Help and Support] (Was Help)

[Community] (Was discussion)

I still think the Debian Development section is a bit redundant, we'll see as we consolidate and move some of the threads around.

We will keep everyone updated with the progress.
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#23 Post by oswaldkelso »

Breaks dillo even with (alpha) https enable in the build :(

edit:
Looks like that's it for dillo unless anyone knows of a work around
How do I enable the https (SSL) support plugin for dillo?
First of all, beware that this is a prototype in alpha state. It will only provide for very basic web page retrievals, POST and GET. There is no certificate caching and NO AUTHENTICATION performed.

It's disabled by default.

If you want to enable it (e.g. to read forums in https), then use

./configure --enable-ssl

Then recompile and reinstall.
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

golinux

#24 Post by golinux »

@donald . . . I noticed a minor detail that got missed. The icon to the left of "Go to advanced search" in the lower LH corner just above the footer jumps to the left on hover. It also does that in the GraandNew theme and the the link is still blue not red as it should be. It is also still blue and jumpy in the Flat Style Green theme. I assume that all the themes have that same quirk.

Aaaand the font of the preview and submit buttons below this edit window is not visible when it is pressed because it is the same color as the selected background. I assume all the flat themes have inherited the same defect.

Would be nice to have a few pixels of horizontal padding on the hover elements in the header and footer. I just now noticed that it looks like the hover color of the links in the nav and footer are also blue which is a bit gross in a green theme (and I assume all the other Flat themes). Sloppy theming . . .

Sorry for nitpicking but I am a visual person and stuff like this drives me nuts.

Still no solution to the missing icons. Will post if/when I solve it.
May the FORK be with you!

donald

#25 Post by donald »

golinux wrote: 2021-07-15 02:56 @donald . . . I noticed a minor detail that got missed. The icon to the left of "Go to advanced search" in the lower LH corner just above the footer jumps to the left on hover. It also does that in the GraandNew theme and the the link is still blue not red as it should be. It is also still blue and jumpy in the Flat Style Green theme. I assume that all the themes have that same quirk.

Aaaand the font of the preview and submit buttons below this edit window is not visible when it is pressed because it is the same color as the selected background. I assume all the flat themes have inherited the same defect.

Would be nice to have a few pixels of horizontal padding on the hover elements in the header and footer. I just now noticed that it looks like the hover color of the links in the nav and footer are also blue which is a bit gross in a green theme (and I assume all the other Flat themes). Sloppy theming . . .

Sorry for nitpicking but I am a visual person and stuff like this drives me nuts.

Still no solution to the missing icons. Will post if/when I solve it.

The advanced search cog is visible on my end. Can you screen cap again?

I see what you mean on the submission preview buttons, and yes it does go across all of the sub-styles for that style, so close to perfection though. :) We may have to move to a different 'default' style which is plain, but still allows people to choose their own style to use. I favor the darker styles personally... easier to read.

I don't have a solution for the missing icons on my side everything seems visible.
Typo perfectionish.

golinux

#26 Post by golinux »

donald wrote: 2021-07-15 18:59The advanced search cog is visible on my end. Can you screen cap again?
Please reread my post. The icon is visible. It just jumps to the left by maybe 10 px when hovered. You can see from this screenie - https://transfer.sh/1Df7YX4/jumping-icon.png - that in addition to the "Go to advanced search", it happens on "Return to “Forum information, requests, and feedback.”" and probably whatever navigation is in that slot top and bottom.

IMO, every color element of a theme should be integrated. Purple should be purplish. Green should be greenish etc. You can't just slap on recolored icons and tweak a few colors but have blue popping up on all of them. That's visual whiplash!
donald wrote: 2021-07-15 18:59I don't have a solution for the missing icons on my side everything seems visible.
Sorry, I haven't had a chance to investigate. I will try a new profile if I can remember how to set that up. And also restart with addons disabled yada, yada. Haven't had to do anything like that in years and it's rather disorienting . . .

Ganneff

#27 Post by Ganneff »

oswaldkelso wrote: 2021-07-14 20:42 Breaks dillo even with (alpha) https enable in the build :(

edit:
Looks like that's it for dillo unless anyone knows of a work around
How do I enable the https (SSL) support plugin for dillo?
First of all, beware that this is a prototype in alpha state. It will only provide for very basic web page retrievals, POST and GET. There is no certificate caching and NO AUTHENTICATION performed.

It's disabled by default.

If you want to enable it (e.g. to read forums in https), then use

./configure --enable-ssl

Then recompile and reinstall.

At least the dillo as packaged in Debian can now successfully open the forums. Did some optimizations to our ssl config.
We now have http2 support and TLS1.2 and 1.3 (thanks to some typo we only had 1.3 initially, oops).

Ganneff

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#28 Post by oswaldkelso »

Typing from dillo now .Looks a bit weird (always does in dillo) but logged in. Your fixes also enabled my old version of Seamonkey to work again \o/ TYVM

fingrs crossed this will post
Free Software Matters

Ganneff

#29 Post by Ganneff »

oswaldkelso wrote: 2021-07-15 20:48 Typing from dillo now .Looks a bit weird (always does in dillo) but logged in. Your fixes also nabled my old version of Seamonkey to work again \o/ TYVM

fingrs crossed this will post
A bit weird is quite an understatement, it looks outright sh*t in dillo. Sure its small, and probably fast, but meh, why would anyone want to use that?
Should turn off dillo support again, just to ensure noone is forced to see forums within dillo. :)

Ganneff

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#30 Post by oswaldkelso »

Well dillo alway was a bit of a "Butter face"
Free Software Matters

golinux

#31 Post by golinux »

Ganneff wrote: 2021-07-15 20:32 We now have http2 support and TLS1.2 and 1.3 (thanks to some typo we only had 1.3 initially, oops).

Ganneff
Yes and thank you! I can now access with Chromium and Palemoon.

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#32 Post by steve_v »

I see FDN has had a hamburger attack. And apparently it's into that slimming shapewear fad now as well. Sigh.

Could we not, you know, use all that empty space to put the "quick links" in? Like a proper website, with links 'n stuff on it instead of silly dropdown click-wasters?

Maybe even use the other third of my screen-width for something other than whiteness perhaps? That'd be swell too...
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

Ganneff

#33 Post by Ganneff »

steve_v wrote: 2021-07-16 11:54 I see FDN has had a hamburger attack. And apparently it's into that slimming shapewear fad now as well. Sigh.

Could we not, you know, use all that empty space to put the "quick links" in? Like a proper website, with links 'n stuff on it instead of silly dropdown click-wasters?

Maybe even use the other third of my screen-width for something other than whiteness perhaps? That'd be swell too...
Switch your theme, some of them do go full width.

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#34 Post by steve_v »

Ganneff wrote: 2021-07-16 12:53
Switch your theme, some of them do go full width.
Well that fixes one problem. Thanks, much better. Still far too much fast-food for my taste though, I'm really not sure what was wrong with the old navigation links.

Aside, some of those themes seem a bit... broken. Carbon renders the debian banner logo blown up to nearly a whole page for example, and Quantum doesn't show one at all, just the placeholder. Proflat shows self-advertisement in that spot, and it has a bunch of irrelevant social media buttons, one of which is a link to French facebook.

The index page also looks kinda odd in any theme, post previews being squashed up against the right hand side like that pushes sub-board listings where the last post preview has more than three words in the title out to four lines.

Stuff like this:

Re: Debian 10 "buster"
releas…
by sunrat View the latest post
2020-09-27 10:26

seems pretty silly when there's a bunch of empty in the middle of the page. That one is extra silly even, as the topic title would probably fit... if it wasn't for the ellipsis itself. And don't get me started on cutting off "released" for no reason at all, not only does it get it's own whole line, the ellipsis is more characters than it replaces.
It's almost as if this thing was *cough* designed for mobile first. Last I checked not many people run Debian on their mobile.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

golinux

#35 Post by golinux »

steve_v wrote: 2021-07-16 11:54Maybe even use the other third of my screen-width for something other than whiteness perhaps? That'd be swell too...
A minor css tweak eliminated that whiteness for me:

Code: Select all

body {
  width: 100%  !important ;
  background-color: #333333 !important;
  }

golinux

#36 Post by golinux »

I have icons! I had a * in my custom font configuration that was fubaring them. I am quite happy with the look now that the forum is surrounded by #333333.

Here's a screenie!! I just checked and that image should be there for 14 days. Then poof . . .. https://transfer.sh/1eNzgDJ/icons.png

Would be nice if the "jiggle" of that one icon could be fixed as well as the disappearing font issue on, afaict, all of the selection buttons.

cookie

#37 Post by cookie »

Minor thing, but perhaps allow users to switch avatars/author's information to the left side of the screen?

Also, accepting Markdown in addition to BBCode would be handy.

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#38 Post by NFT5 »

steve_v wrote: 2021-07-16 11:54 I see FDN has had a hamburger attack. And apparently it's into that slimming shapewear fad now as well. Sigh.
+1 on the hamburger. Leave that to Gnome and Windows and give us direct, one click links, preferably in the header, please.

I'm not real fussed on the width limitation either. In these days of multiple widescreen monitors I prefer to have my windows wider to get more displayed without having to scroll all the time. When the web page/site sets a limit to width I might as well be on FB, which I loathe.

Edit: I see that proDVGFX style does address the width issue.....but then moves poster information to the top of each post, negating any benefits. :roll:

Other than those couple of whinges, I'm really happy to see what's happening with the site and the time that "the team" is putting in to improve it and get more involved. Can only work to the benefit of all involved.

mm3100

#39 Post by mm3100 »

New unread notifications aren't marked in any way that I have noticed, I am using flat blue style and can't see difference between unread/read notifications. It would be great if they would be colour marked as well, like unread posts.

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#40 Post by steve_v »

golinux wrote: 2021-07-16 17:22 A minor css tweak eliminated that whiteness for me:

Code: Select all

body {
  width: 100%  !important ;
  background-color: #333333 !important;
  }
Thanks, I've had to muck about with CSS overrides for a bunch of other forums I visit that recently "upgraded".
It is indeed a fairly simple fix, but I was kinda hoping sanity would prevail here at at FDN and I wouldn't have to add to that pile. Constantly de-mobileising websites gets pretty tiresome.

The same goes for the ridiculous proliferation of hamburger menus (99% of the time there's no legitimate need for them to begin with), and that one is rather more difficult to fix. Manually patching GTK on my own machines is one thing, but I can't do much about server-side PHP.