Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

New Update Is Counter-Productive

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
jakoline1

Re: New Update Is Counter-Productive

#21 Post by jakoline1 »

I was responding to many people at the same time, it had to be clear which is for which. For god's sake you can't even make a consensus on what triggers the edit banner.

donald
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#22 Post by donald »

jakoline1 wrote: 2021-07-21 04:57 I was responding to many people at the same time, it had to be clear which is for which. For god's sake you can't even make a consensus on what triggers the edit banner.
Understandable, we do not have a mulit-quote system in place.

I think at this point this thread has run its natural course. The edit feature has been active here from the beginning*, there were no changes to it or the underlying system for editing during the forum host and server upgrades, and we've pointed out an edit that took place prior to your signup to the forums showing the feature was native -again well before you established an account here. You are welcome to search and find many of those user edits.

Fellow forum members have pointed out why and how the edit system here and on other forums is a valid function of this medium of communication.

We'd also point you to look in the FAQ for these forums where you will see the following text: app.php/help/faq#f2r1
How do I edit or delete a post?
Unless you are a board administrator or moderator, you can only edit or delete your own posts. You can edit a post by clicking the edit button for the relevant post, sometimes for only a limited time after the post was made. If someone has already replied to the post, you will find a small piece of text output below the post when you return to the topic which lists the number of times you edited it along with the date and time. This will only appear if someone has made a reply; it will not appear if a moderator or administrator edited the post, though they may leave a note as to why they’ve edited the post at their own discretion**. Please note that normal users cannot delete a post once someone has replied.

* From the admin/user manual for a much earlier version of this forum software: https://docs.huihoo.com/phpbb/2.0/index.html
4.2.8: Editing Posts

Editing posts allows you to go back and fix errors, remove incorrect information, or add new information to your posts. To edit a post, look at the top right corner of your post and click Edit. You will be taken to the posting form to edit your post, and then click Submit to enter it into the database. If you edit a post after it has been replied to, a small message will appear at the bottom of it indicating how many times it has been edited, and when and by whom the last edit occurred.

To delete a post, click Edit and check Delete this Post. Click Submit to finish deleting the post. You may not delete a post if it has been replied to (i.e. it is not the last post in the topic)
** it is in the moderator/administrator rule-set that any user post edited requires the moderator/administrator to leave a comment within the post to indicate they have made an edit in the post. If you search the forums, I am confident you will find examples of this true, but rare, behavior.

I'll leave this open for you to have the last word if you desire, but we can consider this a closed topic which it will be in a few hours. Let's get back to helping each other on use, appreciation, and administration of this amazing operation system. :)
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

jakoline1

#23 Post by jakoline1 »

If it has to be, just make it show

Code: Select all

Edited
Instead of

Code: Select all

Edited YY/MM/DD, total number of edits X
That way you can have your edit notification while I keep my privacy, best of both worlds, that's how Telegram does it.

esp7

#24 Post by esp7 »

jakoline1 wrote: 2021-07-21 16:15 That way you can have your edit notification while I keep my privacy, best of both worlds, that's how Telegram does it.
with all due respect, I think you are heavily overstretching the concept of "privacy". this is a forum to help out other members with Debian related issues. did you ever write an email to one of Debian's mailing lists or submit a bug? there is 10 times more info publicly archived. what part of your privacy is disrespected by this automated foot note showing X or Y edits? honest question, as privacy is very important for me, but with such way of thinking we undermine the importance of real privacy
ThinkPad X220: i5-2520M CPU 2.5GHz - 8GB RAM 1333 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 250GB - Debian - ME_cleaned
ThinkPad X230: i5-3320M CPU 3.3GHz - 8GB RAM 1600 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 500GB - Debian - ME_cleaned