Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[RESOLVED]Notifications check box

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
ticojohn

[RESOLVED]Notifications check box

#1 Post by ticojohn »

I was looking at my notifications and selected
See all
I tried checking the boxes associated with each notification to indicate that I had read the notification, but clicking on the box had no effect. Maybe I misunderstand the reason for the check boxes, or maybe they don't work. Could somebody enlighten me? :?
Last edited by ticojohn on 2021-08-09 14:17, edited 1 time in total.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

donald
Debian Developer, Site Admin

Re: Notifications check box

#2 Post by donald »

Which style are you using?
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

ticojohn

#3 Post by ticojohn »

donald wrote: 2021-08-08 21:27 Which style are you using?
I'm using whatever is the default style. I haven't tried changing styles. I think the default might be prosilver.

ticojohn

#4 Post by ticojohn »

On a whim I changed the style to breeze. Not only did I not care for the look, the check boxes didn't work with that style. Do you have a recommendation @donald ?

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#5 Post by 4D696B65 »

Same thing here. Marking read does nothing and no way to delete notifications.

Edit; Default theme

ticojohn

#6 Post by ticojohn »

4D696B65 wrote: 2021-08-08 21:51 Same thing here. Marking read does nothing and no way to delete notifications.

Edit; Default theme
I just tried several different themes and none of them allowed me to mark the notifications as read. And I actually prefer the default, prosilver, theme.

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#7 Post by 4D696B65 »

Unless I am missing something, AllanStyle-SUBSILVER is default. That's what I am using anyways.

ticojohn

#8 Post by ticojohn »

4D696B65 wrote: 2021-08-08 22:04 Unless I am missing something, AllanStyle-SUBSILVER is default. That's what I am using anyways.
Interesting, as I had not previously selected a style and my profile was set to prosilver. But I'll check out AllanStyle-SUBSILVER.

EDIT: Just switched to AllanStyle-SUBSILVER. Check boxes still don't work, and I still prefer the prosilver style.
I can live without the check boxes. :mrgreen:

EDIT 2: By the way, I think the team has done a great job with the new forum website. With all the effort it would not be uncommon to have at least one little bug. But overall, great work team.

donald

#9 Post by donald »

ticojohn wrote: 2021-08-08 21:42 On a whim I changed the style to breeze. Not only did I not care for the look, the check boxes didn't work with that style. Do you have a recommendation @donald ?
I use the proDFGX stlye, @4D696B65 is correct AllanStyle-SUBSILVER is the default.

4D696B65 wrote: 2021-08-08 21:51 Same thing here. Marking read does nothing and no way to delete notifications.

Edit; Default theme
They auto-delete after 30 days, we can set the limit lower if people wish.

ticojohn wrote: 2021-08-08 23:09
4D696B65 wrote: 2021-08-08 22:04 Unless I am missing something, AllanStyle-SUBSILVER is default. That's what I am using anyways.
Interesting, as I had not previously selected a style and my profile was set to prosilver. But I'll check out AllanStyle-SUBSILVER.

EDIT: Just switched to AllanStyle-SUBSILVER. Check boxes still don't work, and I still prefer the prosilver style.
I can live without the check boxes. :mrgreen:

EDIT 2: By the way, I think the team has done a great job with the new forum website. With all the effort it would not be uncommon to have at least one little bug. But overall, great work team.
I used both styles mentioned and there was no difference.
manage.png
manage.png (51.19 KiB) Viewed 15548 times

Above I was able to select that button to mark as read, the mark as read is on the way bottom of the page (unpictured)

manage1.png
manage1.png (52.94 KiB) Viewed 15548 times
Above shows the boxes greyed out because I had viewed the notifications.

I think once you are on that page it marks them as viewed. You can also check them off in the notification area.... I have to wait to get one to show you.
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

ticojohn

#10 Post by ticojohn »

donald wrote: 2021-08-08 23:54
I think once you are on that page it marks them as viewed. You can also check them off in the notification area.... I have to wait to get one to show you.
Ahhh. I thought I could select them individually. Apparently I can select either Mark ALL or Unmark All.

donald

#11 Post by donald »

ticojohn wrote: 2021-08-09 00:22
donald wrote: 2021-08-08 23:54
Ahhh. I thought I could select them individually. Apparently I can select either Mark ALL or Unmark All.
Yes, it seems all or nothing. Here is the other method to mark something read:
manage2.png
manage2.png (56.45 KiB) Viewed 15535 times
Typo perfectionish.

ticojohn

#12 Post by ticojohn »

donald wrote: 2021-08-09 00:39 Yes, it seems all or nothing. Here is the other method to mark something read:
Thanks. I did that. But then when I went back to the See all page, the one I marked does not have a check mark. Maybe I'm expecting too much. I can be happy with the Mark All option. We can let this drop if you want.