Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[HOWTO] Debian 11 (sid) with Gnome 40

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
zarathustra-f90

[HOWTO] Debian 11 (sid) with Gnome 40

#1 Post by zarathustra-f90 »

Greetings! I created a video demonstrating the installation process of a clean/minimal Debian 11 using the netinst iso.

By minimal I mean that there is no Desktop Environment preselected during installation. After first reboot we are introduced to tty (terminal) and change our sources.list to the unstable/sid branch, afterwards we install the core version of GNOME 40 desktop environment.

Comments are welcomed :)

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [HOWTO] Debian 11 (sid) with Gnome 40

#2 Post by sunrat »

That's not a guide to installing Gnome 40 on Debian 11 (which is Bullseye/stable not sid), it's a guide to upgrade a stable install to an unstable install plus Gnome and your edits to sources.list are incomplete. Sid can be more easily installed then upgraded from a testing image. Please fix it.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

zarathustra-f90

#3 Post by zarathustra-f90 »

sunrat wrote: 2021-09-16 15:10 That's not a guide to installing Gnome 40 on Debian 11 (which is Bullseye/stable not sid), it's a guide to upgrade a stable install to an unstable install plus Gnome and your edits to sources.list are incomplete. Sid can be more easily installed then upgraded from a testing image. Please fix it.
Thanks for the comment, could you please provide the complete sources.list of sid?
According to official documentation and this list generator the ones in the video are the sid ones.

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#4 Post by cds60601 »

zarathustra-f90 wrote: 2021-09-18 16:01
sunrat wrote: 2021-09-16 15:10 That's not a guide to installing Gnome 40 on Debian 11 (which is Bullseye/stable not sid), it's a guide to upgrade a stable install to an unstable install plus Gnome and your edits to sources.list are incomplete. Sid can be more easily installed then upgraded from a testing image. Please fix it.
Thanks for the comment, could you please provide the complete sources.list of sid?
According to official documentation and this list generator the ones in the video are the sid ones.
I have always found it much easier to grab the weekly generated, non-free image of Testing. Install a base system (no X, no desktop and maybe ssh) much as you outlined in your video.
Then after the install from Testing, add the proper repo for Sid (either commenting out, remove, or overwrite the Testing repo) running an apt update/upgrade.
From there, I would start my build of the system. This works for me since I use a WM and it could work for DE's as long as you know the meta package you need to install.
This may not be the recommended way but it has worked for me so YMMV.

You can make the case either way (I suppose) that starting from Testing may be an extra step but to me, going from Stable to Sid could introduce some unforeseen issues. Again, this is just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt :)
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by sunrat »

What I meant by "please fix it" is regarding the title. It should be something like "Upgrade Bullseye to Sid and install Gnome 40". Once you change the sources and upgrade it is no longer Debian 11 Bullseye.
The only issue with your sources edit is you left out non-free which is often interdependent on contrib.
And again, it makes more sense to install from a Testing image.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#6 Post by cds60601 »

sunrat wrote: 2021-09-19 00:02 The only issue with your sources edit is you left out non-free which is often interdependent on contrib.
And again, it makes more sense to install from a Testing image.
Absolutely spot on!
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious