Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

The Debian "Lite" system I have created

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
lindi
Debian Developer
Debian Developer

Re: The Debian "Lite" system I have created

#21 Post by lindi »

pwzhangzz wrote: 2022-08-09 18:41
lindi wrote: 2022-08-09 08:20I mostly want to cut down memory and CPU usage
Have you thought about using "systemctl disable" instead of "systemctl mask"? Pros and cons? Thanks.
Disabled service can be started if some other service depends on them. For example dbus services will be started on demand if some application calls the API.

lindi
Debian Developer
Debian Developer

#22 Post by lindi »

ShaunTheSalvo wrote: 2022-08-09 09:42 I might try this as an addition to my system. Do you know if masking through systemctl is permanent - ie it will remain as is after a reboot?
Yes it is.

pwzhangzz

#23 Post by pwzhangzz »

lindi wrote: 2022-08-09 20:52Disabled service can be started if some other service depends on them. For example dbus services will be started on demand if some application calls the API.
Thanks. I think it is safer (?) to use disable than mask; the former is disabled at boot time and will be started sua sponte whenever needed.

lindi
Debian Developer
Debian Developer

#24 Post by lindi »

pwzhangzz wrote: 2022-08-10 00:35 Thanks. I think it is safer (?) to use disable than mask; the former is disabled at boot time and will be started sua sponte whenever needed.
Somewhat yes. However, the moment that I login the various part of Gnome will invoke these dbus interfaces so unless I mask them they will be running all the time. I guess masking the service is still safer than removing the whole package.

beardogg0524

#25 Post by beardogg0524 »

sunrat wrote: 2022-03-08 01:53
kedaha wrote: 2022-03-07 22:13Better to use an official Debian package like timeshift.
Timeshift is a backup utility whereas Systemback creates a bootable ISO image.
Personally I use fsarchiver for system backups and rsync for regular data backups, but a bootable .iso is a whole different ballgame.

There are several alternatives to create bootable images, the live-build system is quite involved but useful and configurable. Also Refractasnapshot and simple-cdd are easier methods.
MX Linux has done a lot of great work in their mx-snapshot, create-live-usb and remaster tools. One can create a custom live bootable image with persistence so changes can be saved any time.
I used the Ubuntu 20.04 version of Cubic - available from the Cubic PPA repository - to make my own customized XFCE-based Debian Sid distro. It's working perfectly for me. If you''re interested, check out my Twitter at @ZoonityDesktop.

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#26 Post by oswaldkelso »

Gnome to icewm on a netbook with 1GB of Ram. tldr from unusable to fully functioning though I wouldn't call it snappy. 32bit using ps_mem 64MB

viewtopic.php?t=150154
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian