Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

HOWTO: Install X Window System and a Desktop Environment

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
anti23

#21 Post by anti23 »

frenchninja wrote:Thanks Scotti for writing this. Lately it seems that every second or third post on this forum is 'I got a black screen and no GUI'. Hopefully with a search, folk can get onto this guide first and save themselves some time.
im sorry but i didnt see a solution for that.

i actualy searched. found tons of threads but none ended iwth a solution.

i had that problem with gentoo and with debian now.
i get the gdm start message and so on and hten its blank
i can use str+alt+f1 to get to a console but what is the problems solution now ???

Pobega

#22 Post by Pobega »

anti23 wrote:
frenchninja wrote:Thanks Scotti for writing this. Lately it seems that every second or third post on this forum is 'I got a black screen and no GUI'. Hopefully with a search, folk can get onto this guide first and save themselves some time.
im sorry but i didnt see a solution for that.

i actualy searched. found tons of threads but none ended iwth a solution.

i had that problem with gentoo and with debian now.
i get the gdm start message and so on and hten its blank
i can use str+alt+f1 to get to a console but what is the problems solution now ???
Try another DM; XDM and WDM come to mind.

anti23

#23 Post by anti23 »

since i wanted kde over gnome anyway and i read i can do "tasks=standard, kde-desktop" i decided t install debian newly.

so i did all thestuff with that and went out for the day, when i came back everything was done. install grub and reboot. same problem.

just this time its not gdm but kdm.

my suse here has kdm and it works all fine. i also had the same problem with the gentoo install where it was IN the install when X was started.

should i still try Xdm or something ? im desperate. i thought about trying kbubuntu but what i didnt like about suse was that its so massive.. so id rather get debian and only install what i want :(

anti23

#24 Post by anti23 »

noone else an idea? obviously its independent from the DMs... im desperate, since i cant get any X running under debian which makes it useless for me :((((

frenchninja talks like there was an obvious solution to the problem but i still cant find it, am i stupid ? :P

AgenT

#25 Post by AgenT »

When you say blank screen, what do you mean? Does it kick you into the virtual terminal with a login prompt? If you literally get a blank screen with nothing on the screen, what does pressing ctrl+alt+del do?

Sounds like a problem with your video card or monitor. Xorg may be trying to use the wrong driver for it which may happen is the hardware has issues with identification, or it may not be supported. Post your video card specifications. Be specific. If you can, give the output of lspci. Attach a copy (or copy/paste it - just use the forum code tags around it) your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

And 5 or so people having your issue is not even close to "a ton" or "a lot" of people.

anti23

#26 Post by anti23 »

more liek 20, 1-2 each page at least.
im mega busy right now and have to fly home for easter but ill see what i can do.
and blank screen as in blank screen. nothing. screens off :)
its a laptop. i can still switch to other consoles though which takes 1-2 seconds though to activate screen again.

reconfiguring xorg didnt help but i might try installing a proper ati driver first and then see what happens. kinda annoying though since it seems to be a rather common problem as that ninja already posted. ill give feedback/ask more once i have time to try. thx

GMouse

#27 Post by GMouse »

Shouldn't x-window-system-core be pulled in as a dependency of any window manager or DE?

chealer

#28 Post by chealer »

No.

GMouse

#29 Post by GMouse »

chealer wrote:No.
Ok...can you tell me why? I'm confused.

chealer

#30 Post by chealer »

Yes. Desktop environments are X clients. x-window-system-core provides a X server. There is no requirement that the X server be on the same machine as the X clients.

GMouse

#31 Post by GMouse »

Ahhh. Ok.

Thanks.

Lou

#32 Post by Lou »

Scotti wrote: When you type the command: apt-get install x-window-system-core, it installs everything you need to get the x server up and running, including xorg. It is a "virtual package", so that you don't have to type (or know) which packages are exactly needed. It does the hard work for you. :)

Xfree86 is older. Xorg is newer. That's the main difference. ;)
That was the case with Sarge, nowadays you don't need x-window-system-core. It was used to smooth the upgrade from Sarge to Etch. Now, if you do a fresh installation of Debian, installing 'xorg' will suffice.

luigi@debian:~$ apt-cache show x-window-system-core
Package: x-window-system-core
Priority: optional
Section: x11
Installed-Size: 44
Maintainer: Debian X Strike Force <debian-x@lists.debian.org>
Architecture: all
Source: xorg
Version: 1:7.1.0-18
Depends: xorg
Filename: pool/main/x/xorg/x-window-system-core_7.1.0-18_all.deb
Size: 18468
MD5sum: 46cbbd8e6e0a4a1e035689237e9e803d
SHA1: aa3bdd1b45066349d8ccf3ac425f67a4f0987a5e
SHA256: be9d0d312486916270c78263df1ffa88895af0b366d003e80c527108b17bda1f
Description: transitional package for Debian etch
This package is provided to smooth upgrades from Debian 3.1 ("sarge") to
Debian etch. It may be safely removed from your system. It depends on the
xorg package which is the new metapackage for installing the X Window System in Debian.
Devuan Jessie - IceWM - vimperator - no DM
KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid

chealer

#33 Post by chealer »

Scotti wrote: When you type the command: apt-get install x-window-system-core, it installs everything you need to get the x server up and running, including xorg. It is a "virtual package", so that you don't have to type (or know) which packages are exactly needed. It does the hard work for you. :)
BTW, x-window-system-core is a metapackage. Virtual packages are something else.

Scotti
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#34 Post by Scotti »

Lou wrote:That was the case with Sarge, nowadays you don't need x-window-system-core. It was used to smooth the upgrade from Sarge to Etch. Now, if you do a fresh installation of Debian, installing 'xorg' will suffice.
Update made. Thanks for the info.

Skoapy

#35 Post by Skoapy »

I tried

# apt-get install gnome

and I got a message saying there were unmet dependencies and to try # apt-get -f install to which I recieved the message try apt-get upgrade which I tried and it said I already had the files so there were being ignored.

What can I do to install gnome properly?

chealer

#36 Post by chealer »

Skoapy, please open a new topic for your problem.

kroc69

desktop environement or not desktop environement ?

#37 Post by kroc69 »

Hi all

I just joined your forum and quickly interested by this post as I am going to install on a new machine Debian Etch.
My concern is my purpose is to install a web server so logically as I have understood before with what I collected as information, no need of a desktop environnement as I don't want to install a external screen but manage my server through a client PC under Windows through tools like putty, webmin, cygwin, etc (I succeded to do the same way with Sarge).
BUT, some software I would like to install on my server only works with a GUI part (like nessus client, firestarter, etc.), so my question is simple, could I just install the Xorg package WITHOUT a desktop environnement and then through X forwarding manage my server on my client Windows PC, or should I have to install anyway Gnome for instance ?
Thanks for your input

Kroc69

TechKnow

Can't find xorg

#38 Post by TechKnow »

Hi all, so I am trying to install X on my new netinst installation and I get the following message when I type "apt-get install xorg"

Reading package lists... Done.
Building dependency tree... Done.
E: Can't find package xorg

What am I missing here? Thanks.

AgenT

#39 Post by AgenT »

Post the output (use the code tag) of: /etc/apt/sources.list and make sure to do aptitude update before trying to install any package. (and yes, you should use aptitude instead of apt-get as aptitude is the official way)

TechKnow

#40 Post by TechKnow »

AgenT wrote:Post the output (use the code tag) of: /etc/apt/sources.list and make sure to do aptitude update before trying to install any package. (and yes, you should use aptitude instead of apt-get as aptitude is the official way)
Unfortunatly I'm on a Winblows system and I don't know how to address my USB drive under linux so I can copy the file over to here to post. I can tell you, however that there are only two identical entries like:

#deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib

both "commented out by installer because it failed to verify"

Also, I am trying to update my system with the latest patches as you suggested , but not having much luck there either...