Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Howto: Installing and configuring Debian Buster

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Howto: Installing and configuring Debian Buster

#21 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Bagger wrote:I had to add the deb.multmedia to the sources list, to be able to get the latest version of kodi
Yeah, good luck with that. The maintainer is a Debian developer but the repository has been the root cause of *many* problem threads here.

Possibly "safer" alternative (at least in respect of dependency hell): https://flathub.org/apps/details/tv.kodi.Kodi

But do you really need the newer version?
deadbang

Bagger

#22 Post by Bagger »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Bagger wrote:I had to add the deb.multmedia to the sources list, to be able to get the latest version of kodi
Yeah, good luck with that. The maintainer is a Debian developer but the repository has been the root cause of *many* problem threads here.

Possibly "safer" alternative (at least in respect of dependency hell): https://flathub.org/apps/details/tv.kodi.Kodi

But do you really need the newer version?
Yeah, the version available that it installs stock is kodi 17.6. It will hardware decode hevc but only 8 bit. Kodi 18.x is required for hardware decoding hevc 10 bit.
besides 17.6 is pretty old now, Ive been using it on my current setup for the last 3 years. From experience kodi addons like movie,tv scrapers etc seem to stop working, due to lack of support for the older version.
So it time to upate/upgrade. I`m trying to put together another htpc to last another 3 years or so.

Bagger

#23 Post by Bagger »

cuckooflew wrote:There are various ways to "not leave it open" remove it, pin it, comment it out, maybe you should read more documentation before using it. EG: 1st>https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
All though deb-multimedia is not listed, it should be. But it could be considered a "random website". As a newbie, you should just stay with the Debian repositories until you have a better understanding of the packaging system, etc.
In all the years I have been using Debian, I have never needed these "deb-multimedia", or any other random websites, and do not use them. Recently I did download some, from somewhere, to try to test and trouble shoot for some one , but the results were the same, "Best to just not use them!", Others will disagree, and some will tell you they are ok, ...the only secure way to decide is using your own experience,and learning about the "Debian way", |||https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian ... bad_advice
Don't blindly follow bad advice

Unfortunately there's a lot of bad advice on the Internet. Tutorials found on blogs, forums and other sites often include instructions that will break your system in subtle ways. Don't simply follow the first advice you find, or the tutorial that seems the easiest. Spend some time reading the documentation and compare the difference between tutorials.

It's better to take the time to figure out the correct way to do something first than spending even more time fixing a broken system later. You would not let some random stranger feed your baby; do not execute commands without first understanding what they do.

Blog and forum posts don't expire. Instructions that might have been safe a couple of years ago might not be safe to follow any more. When in doubt keep researching and read your version's documentation.
by Bagger » Although I had to add the deb.multmedia to the sources list, to be able to get the latest version of kodi.
I can see you are one of these,> https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian ... f_Syndrome"Must have the newest",just does things randomly , with out thinking or reading anything , all ways in a hurry, etc,...so guess I just wasted time here, ...You don't really need the latest version of kodi, but then you probably also think you still need MS windows, ....maybe ask Bester69,
he will be happy to mislead you and give you bad advice.
========
Oh, and side note: When your system is broken and you need help fixing it, be sure to start the topic somewhere else:
Docs, Howtos, Tips & Tricks
Share your own howto's etc. Not for support questions!

lol, that started well and turned into some kind of witch hunt or something where I must be burnt at the stake for suggesting something different. Why did you turn it into something like that ?? assumptions...tut..tut
And yes in order for me to do what I'm aiming to do, then yes I need the latest version of kodi. saying that I dont need it when you have no idea of my goal is just plain short sighted.

I thank you for your first piece of advice. I have already commented it out and updated the list, but to go off on a rant at someone that you dont know or have no idea what their goals are.....shame on you....seriously shame on you.

cuckooflew

#24 Post by cuckooflew »

by Bagger » 2020-08-30 22:17 >>Why did you turn it into something like that ?? assumptions...tut..tut
And yes in order for me to do what I'm aiming to do, then yes I need the latest version of kodi. saying that I dot need it when you have no idea of my goal is just plain short sighted.
Well, you are right, so I can apologize, I am a real arsehole, and worse when it is a bad day, but any way, yea, the assumptions, that is what got me, I see you claim you really do need it, you and a few others will be happy to know I won't be posting any more, at least for few days, and maybe never, again , apology for being the way I am, I never could be perfect like the rest of the world, ... but thanks for
lol, that started well and turned into some kind of witch hunt or something where I must be burnt at the stake for suggesting something different. Why did you turn it into something like that ?? assumptions...tut..tut
It did start out well, Why did I turn it into something like that ? Who knows, guess it is because I am not nice, and am a real arse,.. The main point , try to stay away from the multi media repos,
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

gychang

#25 Post by gychang »

Hallvor wrote:1. Who is this for?

3. Installing Debian
A Debian installation on incompatible hardware is a nightmare, while running it on compatible hardware is a breeze, so you may want to check it your system is compatible by running a LiveDVD from here: https://cdimage.debian.org/images/unoff ... e+nonfree/
I
Thanks to you guys below! :)
thanks, the link above is broken...

Head_on_a_Stick

#26 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

gychang wrote:the link above is broken
Remove the last part of the URL to navigate to the folder that contains the current version of the ISO images. Or just change "10.3" to "10.7".
deadbang

gychang

#27 Post by gychang »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
gychang wrote:the link above is broken
Remove the last part of the URL to navigate to the folder that contains the current version of the ISO images. Or just change "10.3" to "10.7".
got it, thanks!

invoinvo

#28 Post by invoinvo »

debian 11 'bulleye' is available . :) A new tutorial is welcome if you have the time . thank you for the write up .

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#29 Post by Hallvor »

invoinvo wrote: 2021-08-19 08:35 debian 11 'bulleye' is available . :) A new tutorial is welcome if you have the time . thank you for the write up .
Thanks. I am quite busy at the moment, but I'll do it when I get the time if new users find it helpful.

All the commands for Buster should work for Bullseye, as well. The only change I am aware of is that KDE has an integrated backup tool and night colours. Night colours also looks integrated in Gnome after 3.28. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYk0v3vjS3c&t=103s

Does Gnome have Déjà Dup installed by default now? Anyone?
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

trinidad

#30 Post by trinidad »

Does Gnome have Déjà Dup installed by default now?
Doesn't seem to be in Buster though most of its dependencies appear to be part of default core.

TC
You can't believe your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#31 Post by Hallvor »

trinidad wrote: 2021-08-19 15:53 Doesn't seem to be in Buster though most of its dependencies appear to be part of default core.

TC
OK. Thanks! What about Bullseye?
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

alienspy

#32 Post by alienspy »

Hi! Is everything described here in "post-install" fully relevant for Debian 12 Bookworm?

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#33 Post by Hallvor »

alienspy wrote: 2023-06-28 16:38 Hi! Is everything described here in "post-install" fully relevant for Debian 12 Bookworm?
There is a newer howto for bullseye here:

viewtopic.php?t=150334

Firmware is included in bookworm, so you may skip that part. I think it should be good for bookworm too. If something doesn't work, let me know.