Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Remove Compiz: XFCE4 Trials and Tribulations

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
ticojohn

Remove Compiz: XFCE4 Trials and Tribulations

#1 Post by ticojohn »

I have a desktop with two (2) drives. Both drives have Bullseye installed. I use the second drive as a backup and for trying out new packages.

I recently installed Compiz on the backup drive just to see if I liked it. I didn't find Compiz particularly useful and decided to remove it. That's when problems started. After doing a complete uninstall, using the Synaptic Package Manager, and then logging out and back in, I found that the XFCE desktop was pretty much unusable. At that point I used GRSYNC to reload the /home directory. The desktop was still unusable. Looking at the xfcesessions error log I found that the system was still trying to start Compiz at login. What to do, what to do?

First, I reinstalled Compiz and got the desktop working again. Then, after a bit of research I found that there is a package called fusion-icon that allows the user to select which windows manager to use at login. So I used the fusion-icon tool to select xfwm4. I logged out and back in and found that the xfwm4 manager was indeed being used. At that point I was able to successfully able to remove all of the Compiz packages.

So, bottom line: use the fusion-icon tool to set the windows manager to xfwm4 before removing the Compiz packages.

Hope others might find this useful.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Remove Compiz: XFCE4 Trials and Tribulations

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

The Xfce window manager can be changed (or in this case, restored) by editing a text file or with xfconf-query(1):

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/xfce#U ... ow_manager

No need to install fusion-icon.
deadbang

ticojohn

Re: Remove Compiz: XFCE4 Trials and Tribulations

#3 Post by ticojohn »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: 2022-06-21 09:48 The Xfce window manager can be changed (or in this case, restored) by editing a text file or with xfconf-query(1):

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/xfce#U ... ow_manager

No need to install fusion-icon.
Cool. Thanks for that.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.