Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

HOWTO Requests

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
boz

Firewire stack

#41 Post by boz »

From reading bug reports and such this may be unpossible, but any information anyone can provide on getting firewire working under Lenny would be awesome.

Noodles

#42 Post by Noodles »

Hi,

I'm Noodles. I just started using Debian. but I'm a little bit lost. I want to use Debian for a source dedicated server. but I can't get it set up. If anybody here has a Source dedicated server. Can he or she write a howto?

Greetings from Noodles

oompa

#43 Post by oompa »

I'm posting a request for a how to optimize debian for laptop usage.

Seems this request has already been posted here in Laptop fine tuning but has had no answer yet.
Also most of the guides I have found are incomplete and infos are scattered around and sometimes obsolete or even contraddicting one another.

The rationale behind is that the debian ability to run on almost any system is great but not fitted for laptop specific usage such as optimizing battery time (famd, absence of noatime, ...) and having up-to-date info all in one place would save a lot of time.

Lou

#44 Post by Lou »

A superficial search at google.com/linux gave me this:

http://www.google.com/linux?hl=en&q=deb ... tnG=Search
Devuan Jessie - IceWM - vimperator - no DM
KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid

oompa

#45 Post by oompa »

Noven wrote:A detailed LAMP howto would be awesome. Im looking to somehow replace my webhosting that I pay for and somehow run a LAMP and have it point to the domain name I pay for.
This is a starting point: Linux Internet Web Server and Domain Configuration Tutorial. Please note that it is not debian specific.

Hadret

#46 Post by Hadret »

Would love to see howto about installation of Debian (Testing? Unstable?) with kernel 2.6.28 (vanilla? It's not packed yet, I guess) on ext4 partition ;]

JustDebian

#47 Post by JustDebian »

I've been looking for a HOW-TO that explains how to be able to write files to a FAT32 (Win98) directory that is mounted via fstab during start up.

The directory, all subdirectories, and all files are owned by root and the root group, even tough the mount directory was created by me as a user. Whenever I try to save a file in the Win98 directory, permission is denied, even though I own the file.

The fstab shows this:

/dev/hde6 /home/user/windata vfat defaults 0 0

The ls -l command shows this:

drwxr-xr-x 26 root root 4096 1970-01-01 00:00 windata

I've tried things like: chmod and chown and other things I cannot now remember to set the ownership, group, and permissions so that I can save files and manage files in the FAT32 directory. How can I do that?

infinitycircuit

#48 Post by infinitycircuit »

Hadret wrote:Would love to see howto about installation of Debian (Testing? Unstable?) with kernel 2.6.28 (vanilla? It's not packed yet, I guess) on ext4 partition ;]
I am working on this myself.

The quick answer is to download an Ubuntu Jaunty daily build, use it to manipulate the partitions, and then install a self-compiled 2.6.28.

jalu

cli-ltools for audio and burning(images and iso`s)

#49 Post by jalu »

A How-to on command-line-tools to deal with audio and burning CD`s/DVD`s
would a big wish of mine.
Its really hard to find info on that
e.g.:at debian.org
wodim, cdrecord, cdtools... doesn`t give usefull results at all.

On this forum i just found this how-to added by dawgie.
Its pretty well but its only about burning and making images
(its not about how to make use of a cli-cd-player and other questions)
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... t=cdrecord.
edit:
here is a brand new one (03/o9) by julian67:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=36826

At least you ain`t got that lots of choice on the gui, have you?

Well: the year has just started, so i keep the head up and the hope alive
being over the hump when it ends.:-)

greetings and thanks
jalu
Last edited by jalu on 2009-03-10 07:02, edited 1 time in total.

Hadret

#50 Post by Hadret »

infinitycircuit wrote:The quick answer is to download an Ubuntu Jaunty daily build, use it to manipulate the partitions, and then install a self-compiled 2.6.28.
So, it looks like this:

1) I need already compiled and working kernel 2.6.28 with ext4 enabled.
2) Then I launch Ubuntu 9.04 alpha 3 LiveCD (could it be alternate CD and It has to be amd64 if I'm using Debian 64-bit, right?) and convert the / partition from ext3 to ext4:
AdrianTM wrote:tune2fs -O extents,uninit_bg,dir_index /dev/yourfilesystem
fsck -pf /dev/yourfilesystem
3) I also need to change /etc/fstab (ext3 to ext4) and grub.cfg to boot from ext4 partition, right? (:

Hadret

#51 Post by Hadret »

infinitycircuit wrote:I am working on this myself.
This might be helpful: http://elliotli.blogspot.com/2008/12/us ... y-new.html (comments)

infinitycircuit

#52 Post by infinitycircuit »

Hadret wrote:
infinitycircuit wrote:The quick answer is to download an Ubuntu Jaunty daily build, use it to manipulate the partitions, and then install a self-compiled 2.6.28.
So, it looks like this:

1) I need already compiled and working kernel 2.6.28 with ext4 enabled.
2) Then I launch Ubuntu 9.04 alpha 3 LiveCD (could it be alternate CD and It has to be amd64 if I'm using Debian 64-bit, right?) and convert the / partition from ext3 to ext4:
AdrianTM wrote:tune2fs -O extents,uninit_bg,dir_index /dev/yourfilesystem
fsck -pf /dev/yourfilesystem
3) I also need to change /etc/fstab (ext3 to ext4) and grub.cfg to boot from ext4 partition, right? (:
I would reformat completely. If you convert an ext3 partition to ext4, then the old files will not have extents until they are modified. You don't need a 64-bit liveCD just to change the filesystem since you won't be chrooting into the system.

So the basic idea is: On another computer, make .deb of an ext4-enabled 2.6.28 or 2.6.29 rc2. (the latter is probably ideal)

On the computer, install a minimal debian install on 1GB, and make the rest of the disk unused (no swap). Install the 2.6.28 kernel.

Boot the LiveCD, make the rest of the disk into ext4 with those options, copy over the data on the first partition, make the first partition swap, add both to the fstab, and reinstall grub.

bugsbunny

#53 Post by bugsbunny »

2.6.28 + ext4

Do you want to install new, or convert existing? (and by convert I agree with infinitycircuit, you don't really want to convert, but rather create new and copy).

For a kernel I suggest adding a sidux repository and installing from there. On my amd64 it's:
linux-image-2.6-sidux-amd64
linux-headers-2.6-sidux-amd64

which gives me:
linux-image-2.6.28-0.slh.11-sidux-amd64
(I expect that will be changing to 2.6.28.1 within about 24 hours)

ext4 is currently enabled in the sidux kernel.
The rest will have to wait, it's late. But basically, since the installer doesn't support ext4, or ext4dev (I've tried a multitude of ways) You need to install minimal to ext3, create ext4 partition, install sidux kernel, boot from live-cd, copy over data to ext4 partition, modify fstab (I use LABEL=), modify menu.lst (you need rootfstype=ext4 as a kernel parameter) and you should be good to go.

Converting existing is basically the same, you just need more disk space to do it.

What I really want (and haven't yet figured out how to do) is to get that onto an encrypted lvm setup. Then I could finish installing on my notebook. Although I haven't tried playing with a Jaunty build - that just might work. Must try that sometime this week.

startgame412

#54 Post by startgame412 »

Hi, I'd like a how to for installing and setting up IBM java for PPC in Debian. The problem I am having is that when I try and do fakeroot make-jpkg, I get an error saying that no plugins were found. I'd like to see a howto for this situtation. Thanks.

CAFFN

#55 Post by CAFFN »

I'd like a howto on migrating from a single disc install to a 2-disc mdadm raid0 install, without the need for reïnstall please :)

sossego

#56 Post by sossego »

How do you enable lkcd?
Let my desire and hope surpass my expectations;
And give me the strength to persevere through doubt.
Grant me the wisdom to exceed my bounds.
Let my eyes always see through the dream fog of childhood,
so that every moment may be treasured.

Tadeas

#57 Post by Tadeas »

Do anybody have any experience with running Windows 7 through VirtualBox or VMware? Care to share your experiences and show us, noobs, how to do that :) ? Thanks in advance!
Because let’s face it, the unfortunate aspect of software development is that it involves humans. Mewling, disorganized, miserably analog humans. Sometimes they smell bad.

Rolling Stone

#58 Post by Rolling Stone »

Hello there!

Is there any chance we get a new or updated Kernel compile and install on Debian systems to celebrate the release of Lenny?

I never tried to compile one yet but I'm very keen to and excited about the possibilities. Thanks for these wonderful forums, by the way!

CDAT

Play an audio CD from the command line

#59 Post by CDAT »

How about this one:

I want to play a CD from the command line.

Since I've spent the better part of three hours looking up aplay, playcd, workman, etc... and have had no luck; it must be really super easy.

Cause I'm a 'wherearemyglassesohtheyareonmyhead' kind of guy.

Or maybe, Debian does not like my music and refuses to play it?!
Monkey Wrench, away!

debil

Re: Play an audio CD from the command line

#60 Post by debil »

CDAT wrote:How about this one:

I want to play a CD from the command line.
My version of it would be quite short:

Code: Select all

mplayer cdda://
Q: Why is the Eunux kernel so bloated?
A: It was made in the image of its founder.