Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

HOWTO Requests

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
CDAT

#61 Post by CDAT »

Right, I have a 1.8 Ghz processor that plays using Sound Juicer from the desktop just fine. I don't know the command to play from a terminal. I've also got a (don't laugh) PII 200 Mhz maxed out that I want to use to learn command line only. I figured learning to play a CD would not be that tough. Wrong!

So after digging around at all the various information troughs, I think that there are about 14 kabillion programs under the 32 flavors of Linux. Not a single article, 'tutorial', or 'How-To' says:

1. aptitude install blah, blah, blah
2. Run alsa-blah and make sure it works
3. man aplay(?) and you will see these commands to mess with an audio cd
a. Example aplay(?) cdrom, or aplay(?) /dev/something, or -I even saw- cdplay cd

Most of what I reads say that they do it this way; and you never know if it's Debian, RedHat, or Suse or something else. And you never get a list of what packages are supposed to be there. Whatever I read about getting fixed fell into either the 'code editing' category or the 'scorched earth' category. And reinstalling everything seems so microsoft to me.

Don't get me wrong! I love this get under the hood stuff and really want to learn how to dig around in Linux. I just don't know what I don't know.

P.S. the mplayer did nothing and

paul@workstation:~$ aplay
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:996:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
aplay: main:564: audio open error: Device or resource busy

Things that make me go hmmm
Monkey Wrench, away!

jalu

#62 Post by jalu »

same problem here:
its nearly impossible to find turials howtos on cli-audio and especially cdplayers.

i`m only able to play cd`s from the command-line using icedax:

Code: Select all

icedax -q dev=/dev/hda -e -d0 -t1+n -N
while -t1+n depends how many tracks the cd contains (-t1+12 = 12 tracks).
(no, i can`t explain the syntax q is quiet an t is track, wodim --devices tells you how your cd-device is called, the rest is darkness :-) )
[if it ain`t installed
apt-get install wodim, icedax, genisoimage]

else-if i play audio-files- i use xmms2, most people recommend moc.

greetings
ps: i recall that about mplayer theres a very good how-to in the how-to section.

pcandpc

making 56k modems work for fax

#63 Post by pcandpc »

Some howtos on making internal 56k modems work, using windows
drivers as in ndiswrapper for some wireless cards, would be great.

Also, making these modems to work for faxes would be nice.
Last edited by pcandpc on 2009-04-11 16:19, edited 1 time in total.

pcandpc

making floppy tape drives work

#64 Post by pcandpc »

Making one of the older conner floppy tape drives to work would be wonderful.

CDAT

#65 Post by CDAT »

Jalu,

I did something to my PII and had to reload a new box. I loaded Etch in about 3 hours from the net and it immediately started upgrading to Lenny. So I've been waiting for it to finish the upgrade to try you Icedax solution.

I wonder why Etch will load quickly and Lenny takes for ever?
Monkey Wrench, away!

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: HOWTO Requests

#66 Post by canci »

Would anyone care to make a HOWTO on making little desktop-agnostic, yet veeeeeeeeery light-weight notify bubbles for laptop batteries, updates, RSS, and other stuff? Or at least point me in the direction of a similar ready implementation? Light-weight would be something in the line with xmessage.

Thank you so kindly!
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

Rolling Stone

#67 Post by Rolling Stone »

canci wrote:Would anyone care to make a HOWTO on making little desktop-agnostic, yet veeeeeeeeery light-weight notify bubbles for laptop batteries, updates, RSS, and other stuff? Or at least point me in the direction of a similar ready implementation? Light-weight would be something in the line with xmessage.

Thank you so kindly!
Are you aware of notify-send (of the libnotify-bin package) and aosd-cat?

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#68 Post by canci »

Rolling Stone wrote:Are you aware of notify-send (of the libnotify-bin package) and aosd-cat?
Thank you soooooooooooooooo much!
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

Rolling Stone

#69 Post by Rolling Stone »

:D You're quite welcome!

Hadret

#70 Post by Hadret »

Tracks + Apache2 + MySQL on Debian. This and this didn't work for me :/

seanc7

#71 Post by seanc7 »

I would like to request a how-to on setting up a LDAP server that uses Kerberos.

I can't find any that work through Google searches and experimenting on my own has resulted in several VMs I can't log into locally anymore.

Ahtiga Saraz

Request: HOWTO set up a bind9 DNS server

#72 Post by Ahtiga Saraz »

I was just about to ask how to set up my very own DNS server using bind9, cuz I have learned the hard way not to trust some external nameservers I have used in the past.

(Yes, cache poisoning happens. More often than you might think. And more often than you might think, it's no accident.)

Then I saw this
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 70#p225702
So I'm asking here for a HOWTO on setting up a bind9 DNS server. Ideally, this tutorial would assist those like me who have been burned by non root servers and who want to have their own "known good" cache in their very own DNS server. (The idea is to support my own websurfing, not to serve up DNS cache to others.)

(Yes, I know the root servers can be poisoned too. I'd rather not think about it because apparently there is absolutely nothing I can do about it, other than hope it hasn't happened yet.)
Ahtiga Saraz

Le peuple debout contre les tyrans! De l'audace, encore de l'audace, toujours l'audace!

Rolling Stone

#73 Post by Rolling Stone »

Do you really need a full blown DNS server, would not a simple hosts file suffice?

Code: Select all

man hosts

Ahtiga Saraz

#74 Post by Ahtiga Saraz »

I don't understand. What good what a hosts file do?

I want to create a personal DNS cache and to add to it as needed by looking up the IPs at the root nameservers. (I am not visiting thousands of sites daily, but dozens including many repeat visits, so this shouldn't be an undue burden on the root nameservers)

Hmm... suppose my DNS cache became poisoned. If I did funky permission stuff to make the hosts file hard for even root user to modify, perhaps a host file could be a second line of defense?
Ahtiga Saraz

Le peuple debout contre les tyrans! De l'audace, encore de l'audace, toujours l'audace!

birdywa

#75 Post by birdywa »

A good NFS guide would be nice. All of the others are incredibly confusing and have a limited scope.

widz

#76 Post by widz »

A simple and suitable how-to on setting mpd on debian lenny would be helpful, I always have problems with *amn mpd.conf configuration.
you have to laugh at the things that hurt you just to keep the world from running you plumb crazy

kanonmat

#77 Post by kanonmat »

Request for a grub2 howto. If I read the popcon graph right, grub2 has about 1100 users.

Just the basics would be fine, how to replace grub-legacy. It doesn't even have to be a howto. Just a collection of examples and hints would be better than just having the grub2 wiki:
http://grub.enbug.org/Manual
deb upgrades - In the Debian 5.x and Ubuntu 9.x series, upgrading to GRUB 2 after an an LVM/LVM+crypto installation (under GRUB legacy) will leave you unhappy.
Reasons for me to switch to grub2 would be
1) lvm
2) using uuid or label for partitions when booting without an initrd.
phenomII965, gigabyte ma790xt-ud4p, 8600gt on desktop
hp 6910p laptop. athlon 3200+, asus an8e, 6600gt on spare desktop
sid user

jalu

#78 Post by jalu »

How-to upgrade the mother board
How-to compile kfreeBSD-source (and or the Hurd) on Debian/Gnu
pleaaase :-)

greetings

CDAT

Solved 'play music CD from CLI' (partially)

#79 Post by CDAT »

OK, so here's a small victory story.

I was messing around with my PII box in the shop and saw a package named "cdtool." I had still not figured out how to play a music CD at this point. So I did sudo apt-get install cdtool and presto! I can now play my beloved Barry Manilow sings the hits CD.

Not really that CD.

Seriously though, I can now type 'cdplay 1 15' and it will play all but the last track on the CD with the speakers plugged into the CDROM' headphone port. It will not play the last track no matter what I typed and I think the commands in the man pages are not accurate. But it does work!

I would like someone else to try this and see if the same thing happens:
'get the package
apt-get install cdtool

'load a cd
'get the number of tracks
cdir

'if there are 15 tracks
cdplay 1 15

I get an error about input/output

If i type 'cdplay 1 14' it will instantly play all through track 14. Typing 'cdplay 1' should start play at 1 and go to the end, but it just errors out.
Monkey Wrench, away!

Laxman Neupane

#80 Post by Laxman Neupane »

Hi.

After taking into consideration a desktop users' benefit, I would like to suggest something similar to this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683

It is as I see a complete and comprehensive thing.

I just thought for a new desktop user like me. :)