Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to force IPV4 network during installation.

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
pritesh_ugrankar

How to force IPV4 network during installation.

#1 Post by pritesh_ugrankar »

Hi,

I am trying to install Debian 10.7 with non free firmware on my brand new HP Pavilion Gaming 16 laptop. For some reason, the installer tries to connect using IPV6 and then it just stalls. I have connected the laptop to the router through Network cable, because the wifi is not detected, but that's not a problem, because once I get the install done, I can install the wireless drivers myself. Just not sure how to force IPV4 during installation.

Note:- I plan to dual boot with Windows 10 (gotta keep it for work reason). Not related to my issue I know, but just putting it here for reference.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: How to force IPV4 network during installation.

#2 Post by p.H »

You can add "ipv6.ipv6_disable=1" to the installer kernel command line to disable the use of IPv6 by the kernel.
pritesh_ugrankar wrote:For some reason, the installer tries to connect using IPV6 and then it just stalls
Maybe because your network has broken IPv6 connectivity (the router advertises an IPv6 prefix but offers no global IPv6 connectivity).

pritesh_ugrankar

#3 Post by pritesh_ugrankar »

Hi,
Thank you for the reply. Kindly let me know how do I do it?
At which step? Do I get into the terminal by pressing alt tab F2? Sorry but I really haven't tried this before.

pritesh_ugrankar

#4 Post by pritesh_ugrankar »

Hi,
At the installation prompt, when the GRUB screen comes up, I press "e" and type "ipv6.ipv6_disable=1" and then press Crtl+X to reboot, still the installer goes searching for ipv6 connection/DHCPv6. I must be doing something wrong. Can someone help?

pritesh_ugrankar

#5 Post by pritesh_ugrankar »

Hi,

Found the right answer in this forum!! I should have read existing threads, my bad.

The correct parameter is(NOTE:- type the option with the double quotes):

Code: Select all

"ipv6.disable_ipv6=1"
I passed this option during the initial installation from the USB. The moment the GRUB screen shows up, I selected "Debian Installer" option by pressing the down arrow, then typed "e" (without quotes. It will not be visible anyways) and then, in the next screen I typed the "ipv6.disable_ipv6=1" line right next to an existing line(after a space). Then I pressed Ctrl x (That's pressing the control button and thexn the button). The laptop rebooted, and took me straight to the installation screen (skipping the GRUB screen). This time it ignored the ipv6 and I could proceed with installation. Still have not completed it as some other work came up. Just posting it here so that someone with similar issues would hopefully find this useful.

peter_irich

#6 Post by peter_irich »

I thought that for the kernel through GRUB "ipv6.disable=1" is needed.
https://www.thegeekdiary.com/centos-rhe ... able-ipv6/

Peter.

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

deadbang

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#8 Post by p.H »

pritesh_ugrankar wrote:The correct parameter is(NOTE:- type the option with the double quotes): "ipv6.disable_ipv6=1"
Sorry for the typo. It seems to happen to me all the time...
peter_irich wrote:I thought that for the kernel through GRUB "ipv6.disable=1" is needed.
Needed for what ?

peter_irich

#9 Post by peter_irich »

p.H wrote:
peter_irich wrote:I thought that for the kernel through GRUB "ipv6.disable=1" is needed.
Needed for what ?
For ipv6 disabling.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#10 Post by p.H »

Right, but that was not what the OP asked.

Lexa

#11 Post by Lexa »

Hey everyone,

Today i tried to install OMV and the installer stucks on configuring ipv6 even though i don't have IPV6, i just read all your answers and i still can't figure out where i need to put the "disable_ipv6 thing", could you lead me to y destination,

Cheers, Lexa

NorthEast

#12 Post by NorthEast »

The fifth post above at 2020-12-12 00:24 describes how you get to where you need to put the ipv6 option. After hitting e, find the line beginning with "linux" and append the config there at the end after a space. Then hit cntl+x to boot.