Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

i think i bricked by laptop ( urgent help )

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
billgateshasligma

i think i bricked by laptop ( urgent help )

#1 Post by billgateshasligma »

i think ive bricked my pc , please can someone give me some help please?

system specs:
asus vivobook k513e
500gb nvme ssd
bios version
the rest is not very important as all other things work

so heres what happened in order of events :

1) first i wanted to reinstall debian so i got all of my important documents and put them on a usb device , (my data is secure i am not worried about that)
2) then what i did was i typed dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/[devicename] to wipe my drive , obviously this destroyed my installation and that exactly what i wanted to do . i do not if this was a bad idea but considereing i was going to overwrite it with a fresh install i thought it would have not mattered , its worth mentioning that i also had luks encryption enabled .
3) then i put in my new usb and tried to boot from that . i used the debian live 11.3 nofree iso first (then the net inst , both gnome , both with closed firmware), because i am running a laptop and require support for wifi and bluetooth. basically this did not go to plan , i got this error message when trying to boot :

Code: Select all

"Failed to open \EFI\BOOT\mmx64.efi - Not Found"
so i did some googling and found out this reddit thread : https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxquestions ... _are_they/ , so i tried to decompile the iso file with some iso file tools and duplicate grubx64.efi , and rename it mmx64.efi , well i tried this on the net inst iso and it did not working , saying something like it could not load kernel and booted into a grub cli . so i gave up on that.
4) then i deleted by secure boot keys because i did not need secure boot honestly and thought this was causing issues
5) it did not fix anything so i decided to try install windows(i know , i know its terrible but i have to give credits to windows for list disk and diskpart tools which i thought could work) windows could not find anything apart from the usb drive i was using for the install ,it also kept asking for a driver when i tried to install.
6) so thats it , i am not sure what to do its been about 2 days and i just want to install debian . if you can give me help it would be really helpful .

my second pc is a windows 10 pc which i use for gaming , its quite old and thats what i am typing this from.

panpan

Re: i think i bricked by laptop ( urgent help )

#2 Post by panpan »

Why don't you try first to install for example MX Linux or Linux Mint which have also nice and useful tools like boot repair, and later to install Debian? Or if you have already installed Debian to install them in another partition?

billgateshasligma

#3 Post by billgateshasligma »

panpan wrote: 2022-07-05 13:36 Why don't you try first to install for example MX Linux or Linux Mint which have also nice and useful tools like boot repair, and later to install Debian? Or if you have already installed Debian to install them in another partition?
gonna try this now , hope it works !!

billgateshasligma

#4 Post by billgateshasligma »

ok update , it worked . i succesfully installed linux mint and now will install debian.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by p.H »

billgateshasligma wrote: 2022-07-05 13:20 dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/[devicename] to wipe my drive , obviously this destroyed my installation and that exactly what i wanted to do . i do not if this was a bad idea
It was not a very good idea, neither useful nor efficient.
Writing to all sectors on an SSD increases wear and marks them as in use, possibly impacting write performance.
When a drive is encrypted, you just need to wipe the LUKS header.

billgateshasligma

#6 Post by billgateshasligma »

billgateshasligma wrote: 2022-07-05 13:46
panpan wrote: 2022-07-05 13:36 Why don't you try first to install for example MX Linux or Linux Mint which have also nice and useful tools like boot repair, and later to install Debian? Or if you have already installed Debian to install them in another partition?
gonna try this now , hope it works !!

ok so update: i did this and install linux mint and then tried to install debian and it worked, thank you very much :-)

panpan

#7 Post by panpan »

Always is better to have one or two extra Linux OS on your laptop in case something goes wrong. I have both, MX Linux and Linux Mint. If you mark your topic [SOLVED] you can help also other future users. You can do this, by adding it in the beginning of your first post title.

arzgi

#8 Post by arzgi »

I prefer live optical media, as my laptops ssd-disk would be quite small for two distros.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#9 Post by p.H »

Optical discs are slow, cumbersome and fragile. Most SSDs are big enough for two distributions.