Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Standard system utilities

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
crhawkins

Standard system utilities

#1 Post by crhawkins »

Hi, quick question that has always been on the back of my mind.

Is there ever a reason not to check Standard system utilities? I mean is this unadvised in 99% of installations?

Thanks.

admoore

Re: Standard system utilities

#2 Post by admoore »

The packages installed by that task can be seen by running this command:

Code: Select all

aptitude search ~pstandard ~prequired ~pimportant -F%p
If you're really trying to crunch Debian into a tiny space, you can probably skip it, but you'll probably end up installing a lot of those things explicitly to get a functional system.

GPWR

#3 Post by GPWR »

admoore wrote: 2013-12-09 21:04 The packages installed by that task can be seen by running this command:

Code: Select all

aptitude search ~pstandard ~prequired ~pimportant -F%p
If you're really trying to crunch Debian into a tiny space, you can probably skip it, but you'll probably end up installing a lot of those things explicitly to get a functional system.
If I don't install the standard system utilities, will I still be able to connect to the internet and download a desktop environment, along with the utilities that come with it?

How much space do the system utilities take up?

Thanks.

bw123

#4 Post by bw123 »

This has been asked and discussed many times, for example:

viewtopic.php?t=118372

I’ve never seen it officially documented. You could do an install without, then run tasksel again and compare for pkgs and size difference.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

GPWR

#5 Post by GPWR »

bw123 wrote: 2021-12-02 19:23 This has been asked and discussed many times, for example: viewtopic.php?t=118372
I see. Thank you for the resource. I had searched the forums for all posts having "standard system utilities" as part of their title, but this thread is the only one that popped up.
bw123 wrote: 2021-12-02 19:23 I’ve never seen it officially documented. You could do an install without, then run tasksel again and compare for pkgs and size difference.
Oof. I'll leave that to someone else. I would like to start by having my system work first (having a lot of newbie issues.) Good call, though. I might try it in the future.

Peace.

bw123

#6 Post by bw123 »

I'm not sure exim or another MTA is standard anymore, or rsyslog, mlocate, text mode mail, or even ifupdown... but there's surely good stuff in there. Used to be a text mode browser for documentation/faqs, man page utils and info documentation. reportbug might be in there or some of the debian alternatives system. And some math/science stuff like bc,

If you're not setting up a lean machine or a server you probably need it all.

Have fun
resigned by AI ChatGPT