Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing on MacBook Air 6,1 via Wi-Fi

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
e-venik

Installing on MacBook Air 6,1 via Wi-Fi

#1 Post by e-venik »

Hi! I am trying to install Debian 10 on my MacBook Air 6,1. It has Broadcom BCM4360 [14e4:43a0] as a wireless adapter. If there any way to get it working during the installation? Thanks in advance!

kedaha

Re: Installing on MacBook Air 6,1 via Wi-Fi

#2 Post by kedaha »

Hi,
From the old wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Apple/MacBookAir/6-1 it looks like you will need to download broadcom-sta-dkms and load the driver wl and take a look at the Debian manual about Loading Missing Firmware in Buster.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

It's more difficult than that, since you also need compilers and the kernel headers installed to build the actual driver, since the dkms package only contains the source.

One workaround that's worked in the past is to use module-assistant and broadcom-sta-source to build the actual driver deb on another machine that's running the same exact kernel--then the debs can be installed on the Mac along with broadcom-sta-common to get the wi-fi up and running.

If you don't have access to a Debian instance on another machine or in a virtual machine, perhaps someone running vanilla Debian would be kind enough to build the deb for you.

As sysadmin:

apt install broadcom-sta-source module-assistant

m-a prepare

m-a build broadcom-sta
The deb will then be found in /usr/src.

It might be better to use a Debian derivative that already has the "wl" driver in the ISO, if you're just starting to use Linux.
MX Linux packager and developer

e-venik

#4 Post by e-venik »

kedaha, thanks! stevepusser, very appreciated!

Is the proprietary broadcom-sta driver the only way for now? Is there an alternative free software driver (w/ non-free firmware) for this adapter?

kedaha

#5 Post by kedaha »

e-venik wrote: Is the proprietary broadcom-sta driver the only way for now? Is there an alternative free software driver (w/ non-free firmware) for this adapter?
Yes; there is no native linux driver for this adapter.
I suppose you are able to do the installation using a wired connection?
The alternative would be to look for an usb micro wireless adapter which worked with a native linux driver but often, although there is a penguin to show they work with linux, turn out to require proprietary firmware too, so you'd need to research which to get. They are the least obtrusive and are inexpensive.
DebianStable

$ vrms

e-venik

#6 Post by e-venik »

kedaha wrote: I suppose you are able to do the installation using a wired connection?
I have the USB Ethernet adapter, but the only wired connection I can use here is PPPoE. Fortunately the Installation manual says that it's probably be working with ppp-udeb.

Thanks a lot again!

kedaha

#7 Post by kedaha »

e-venik wrote:I have the USB Ethernet adapter, but the only wired connection I can use here is PPPoE. Fortunately the Installation manual says that it's probably be working with ppp-udeb.
pph-udeb is available during installation if you select for example Expert Graphical Install.
DebianStable

$ vrms

jtm52

#8 Post by jtm52 »

e-venik wrote:Hi! I am trying to install Debian 10 on my MacBook Air 6,1. It has Broadcom BCM4360 [14e4:43a0] as a wireless adapter. If there any way to get it working during the installation? Thanks in advance!
I've installed Debian on many MBP- and MBA -laptops. I use very simple solution during the installation = I connect my Iphone with wire on laptop. Wired network is on without any installation.

e-venik

#9 Post by e-venik »

jtm52 wrote:
e-venik wrote:I've installed Debian on many MBP- and MBA -laptops. I use very simple solution during the installation = I connect my Iphone with wire on laptop. Wired network is on without any installation.
Hi! Could you provide more details please? I tried to connect my iPhone via USB with Personal Hotspot enabled, but there is no new network interface in the 'ip link' output...