Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

install debian xfce from iso

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
francois.e

install debian xfce from iso

#1 Post by francois.e »

I am trying to install debian xfce from iso. I have looked at the following thread and other linux sources:
https://www.linuxbabe.com/debian/boot-d ... rive-grub2

Here is my grub2 syntax:

Code: Select all

menuentry "debian-live-10.6.0-amd64-xfce.iso" {
   insmod ext2
        set root=(hd1,3)
        set isofile="debian-live-10.6.0-amd64-xfce.iso" 
        search --no-floppy --file --set=root $isofile from=$isofile
        loopback loop $isofile      
        (loop)linux  /d-i/vmlinuz
        (loop)initrd /d-i/initrd.gz
     /
}
I get a message asking to load a cd-rom which I have no intent to do as debian-live-10.6.0-amd64-xfce.iso on my hdd should be enough? Comments or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Last edited by francois.e on 2020-10-30 00:05, edited 2 times in total.

Bulkley

Re: install debian xfce from iso

#2 Post by Bulkley »

That looks like the hard way. Why not use Debian's install media? Go here.

sgosnell

#3 Post by sgosnell »

That tutorial seems to be addressing installing Debian to a USB drive, not to the internal drive. If that's what you want, fine, but to install to the internal drive, the way Bulkley linked is the way to go. Burn the .iso to a USB drive or a DVD, and boot from it. If you have some specific requirements, we don't know about them.
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Deb-fan

#4 Post by Deb-fan »

Are of course reasons for this type of thing, ie: Someone doesn't have a usb or whatever and yes, gnu/Linux being pure awesomeness is capable of doing it. Figured it out once, don't remember the how's of it so OP you're on your own. Well at least you'll have to ask Mrs-Mr internet as I'm 100% sure it can be done. Adapt the stuff for Ubuntu or Linux Mint, though d-i = Debian installer and casper(it's ubiquity now) or whatever buntu based are using are different animals I think. Good luck. :)

Ps, this thing is cool and useful though. Being able to skip the step of even making conventional install media has obvious merit. Am curious is there a reason you're trying to do this OP or just a want to kind of thing ?
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

francois.e

#5 Post by francois.e »

I really want to install from hdd and not from usb. I have a second linux box in case of difficulties in the process. All my important data is backed up on external media.

Though I have only 25 posts, I have been on linux since 2005, working mainly with a slackware derivative calle porteus.

Is there someone able to tell me what is wrong with my grub2 syntax.

Thanks so much.

sgosnell

#6 Post by sgosnell »

Assuming the disk designation line is correct, you may need the full path of the .isofile. I'm not sure when you're getting the "insert DVD" error. In the initial boot process, after grub executes, after the installer starts, or when.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by p.H »

francois.e wrote:Is there someone able to tell me what is wrong with my grub2 syntax.
I suspect that the debian-installer initrd.gz embedded in the ISO image that you are loading is of the "cdrom" type and is not able to detect and mount an ISO image, so you need to load an initrd.gz of the "hd-media" type instead, available on Debian mirrors.

sgosnell

#8 Post by sgosnell »

The liveDVD .iso is supposed to be a hybrid version for installation on either optical media or regular drives. At least that's what the download site says, and they certainly work when burned to flash drives.

Bulkley

#9 Post by Bulkley »

Just fof curiosity I downloaded debian-live-10.6.0-amd64-xfce.iso.torrent from here. I ran it as a VM. Debian Xfce live loaded. I then installed it. Time taken less than half an hour. It works.

Deb-fan

#10 Post by Deb-fan »

Lots of interesting stuff guys. :)

OP ... quiet type eh ?

Ummmm still did think of junk to add, no idea what's wrong with your grub entry but yeah, doesn't look right regardless. Check out this https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=6294 has an example of a working Bunsenlabs grub entry, which is based on Debian stable itself. Also am sure there's other possible useful junk stated on the topic in general. Pretty sure mentioned digging through the iso's to find out what's, where and that needs to be used to find a working entry. Also fairly sure mentioned a person avail themselves of existing tools example menu entries and the grub.cfg's they share ... I mean in ways a usb drive is like whatever other type block device(s.) Still use that multiboot thumb drive, still a bunch of iso's havent figured out the mystic incantations to get to work yet.

Also clarification, I got a Debian iso to boot from hdd, never completed an install from it. Remember this thing can be a real pita and very frustrating. Someone just has to keep at it, stay persistent and eventually will probably unlock the magic words for the right entry to boot whichever iso's. Good luck. :)

Ps, also wanted to point out things like PXE installing for whoever. Sounds like OP has more than one pc onhand. So again .. unless it's just a hey I want to do this, like almost always in gnu/Linux, more than one option to attain techno-bliss. :P

milomak

#11 Post by milomak »

Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

francois.e

#12 Post by francois.e »

I am very grateful that this thread stimulates much interest. Trying to reboot a few times from grub command line, I got the additional information that a net install disk would be better. Thus it seems the syntax was almost good. I have added:
from=$isofile

I am actually working on using a net install iso as proposed by Buckley:
debian-10.6.0-amd64-netinst.iso

Here is th grub2 syntax for the net install iso which locates its vmlinuz and initrd.gz in a different file structure:

insmod ext2
        set root=(hd1,3)
        set isofile="debian-live-10.6.0-amd64-xfce.iso" 
        search --no-floppy --file --set=root $isofile from=$isofile
        loopback loop $isofile       (loop)linux /install.amd/vmlinuz
        (loop)initrd /install.amd/initrd.gz
}

Thanks.

Deb-fan

#13 Post by Deb-fan »

^ Cool, thanks for sharing what you found out. :)

Also may as well add some more random junk on this topic. Are plenty of situations where a person can't do the conventional install method, system doesn't have a dvd drive(or has a broken drive), someone doesn't have dvd's or a usb onhand but still wants to install a Nix OS on some hardware. Another oddball route outside of PXE(network install) to consider, using an Android phone can work. Researched it, know it's totally possible, haven't done it as yet. That's still on the 2-do list though.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#14 Post by p.H »

sgosnell wrote:The liveDVD .iso is supposed to be a hybrid version for installation on either optical media or regular drives.
"Hybrid" does not mean it is intended to run from an image file. It only means it can be written and run from either optical disc or flash drive.
Deb-fan wrote:junk
What's the point of adding junk ?
francois.e wrote:debian-10.6.0-amd64-netinst.iso
Here is th grub2 syntax for the net install iso which locates its vmlinuz and initrd.gz in a different file structure
Several mistakes.
1) ISO image filename is wrong.
2) Adding "from=$isofile" to the "search" command is wrong. See https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manua ... tml#search for the correct syntax.
3) The "loopback" command syntax is wrong. The end since "(loop)" has nothing to do there. See See https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manua ... l#loopback
4) The "initrd" command syntax is wrong. See See https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manua ... tml#initrd
5) The initrd.gz included in the installation ISO image is of type "cdrom" can use only an optical disc or a flash/hard drive, not an ISO image file. As I wrote in my previous reply, you must use the initrd.gz of type "hd-media" available on Debian mirrors. See the installation manual for details.

milomak

#15 Post by milomak »

so i gave this a go. downloaded the cinnamon live iso and renamed it debian.iso. placed it in /boot/iso

then created this in /etc/grub.d/40_custom

menuentry "Debian Live 10.6.0 (Cinnamon)" {
    set isofile="debian.iso"
    loopback aloop (hd0,2)/boot/iso/$isofile
    linux  (aloop)/live/vmlinuz-4.19.0-11-amd64 boot=live findiso=/boot/iso/$isofile live-media-path=/live components
    initrd (aloop)/live/initrd.img-4.19.0-11-amd64
}
obviously you would have to change the name, location and hd(0,2)

to find out what to reference for vmlinuz and initrd, you can mount the iso and see what the files in live/ are

oh and if you are using grub 2.04, you will have to boot in legacy mode (uefi mode won't work)
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#16 Post by p.H »

milomak wrote:if you are using grub 2.04, you will have to boot in legacy mode (uefi mode won't work)
Why not ?

milomak

#17 Post by milomak »

p.H wrote:
milomak wrote:if you are using grub 2.04, you will have to boot in legacy mode (uefi mode won't work)
Why not ?
probably best to ask the grub people

francois.e

#18 Post by francois.e »

Here it seems that we have a solution which works with the debian live cd:

set isofile="/isos/debian-live-10.6.0-amd64-xfce.iso"
    loopback aloop (hd1,3)$isofile
    linux  (aloop)/live/vmlinuz-4.19.0-11-amd64 boot=live findiso=$isofile live-media-path=/live components
    initrd (aloop)/live/initrd.img-4.19.0-11-amd64
as my iso files are on /mnt/sdb3/isos
and it seems that there were extra /boot/isos that I had to get rid from you syntax.

If someone gets the syntax for the net-install iso, that could be a winner too.

Thanks so much. :D