debian x86 install failed - bootloader-config

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian
Message
Author
ddyer
Posts: 29
Joined: 2021-01-08 03:16

Re: debian x86 install failed - bootloader-config

#16 Post by ddyer »

p.H wrote:There are no incantations or magic. The installer has a rescue mode which allows to reinstall the boot loader (but that will presumably fail until the failure cause is removed) or chroot into the installed system and do whatever it takes to install the boot loader.
In this case, installing the bootloader failed (reported in a different thread) due to some internal problem,
not due to an io failure. So sure, retrying the installation would fail, and I still have a nonbootable system,
presumably lacking only a bootloader.

Is there a procedure - something like - put an emergency bootloader on a stick, then use it to boot
the system from the main disk?

p.H
Posts: 1891
Joined: 2017-09-17 07:12

Re: debian x86 install failed - bootloader-config

#17 Post by p.H »

I'd rather boot the installer in rescue mode, chroot into the install system and investigate the bootloader installation failure.

With BIOS/legacy boot :
Make sure separated /boot and /usr are mounted, then

Code: Select all

grub-install --force /dev/<internalbootdisk>
With UEFI boot :
Make sure separated /boot, /boot/efi and /usr are mounted, then

Code: Select all

grub-install
efibootmgr

ddyer
Posts: 29
Joined: 2021-01-08 03:16

Re: debian x86 install failed - bootloader-config

#18 Post by ddyer »

p.H wrote:There are no incantations or magic. The installer has a rescue mode which allows to reinstall the boot loader (but that will presumably fail until the failure cause is removed)
The install, in keeping with the traditional unix philosophy, rates 1 out of 10 on the friendliness scale.
When the installer failed, it offers no information at all about the reason for the failure or likely
actions to take.
or chroot into the installed system and do whatever it takes to install the boot loader.
In the midst of the installer (not from the live CD), how can I chroot to anywhere?

User avatar
Head_on_a_Stick
Posts: 13450
Joined: 2014-06-01 17:46
Location: /dev/chair

Re: debian x86 install failed - bootloader-config

#19 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

ddyer wrote:When the installer failed, it offers no information at all about the reason for the failure or likely
actions to take.
The error messages are on TTY4. I think there's also a log file somewhere.
ddyer wrote:In the midst of the installer (not from the live CD), how can I chroot to anywhere?
Use the rescue mode, as already indicated: https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/ ... 06.en.html
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support

ddyer
Posts: 29
Joined: 2021-01-08 03:16

Re: debian x86 install failed - bootloader-config

#20 Post by ddyer »

p.H wrote:I'd rather boot the installer in rescue mode, chroot into the install system and investigate the bootloader installation failure.

With BIOS/legacy boot :
Make sure separated /boot and /usr are mounted, then

Code: Select all

grub-install --force /dev/<internalbootdisk>
With UEFI boot :
Make sure separated /boot, /boot/efi and /usr are mounted, then

Code: Select all

grub-install
efibootmgr
That would be great if I could get to any kind of shell, which I can't. The failed install
leaves the main disk in a state where the native boot loader things nothing is there.

BTW, isn't there a way to run the install process WITHOUT formatting the disk and installing
a new boot loader? The default process doesn't encourage using a pattern that would
allow user data to be preserved when a new OS is being installed.

User avatar
Head_on_a_Stick
Posts: 13450
Joined: 2014-06-01 17:46
Location: /dev/chair

Re: debian x86 install failed - bootloader-config

#21 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

ddyer wrote:That would be great if I could get to any kind of shell, which I can't.
So why can't you use the rescue mode then? And why do you keep ignoring suggestions that relate to it? Are you trolling?
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support

ddyer
Posts: 29
Joined: 2021-01-08 03:16

Re: debian x86 install failed - bootloader-config

#22 Post by ddyer »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
ddyer wrote:That would be great if I could get to any kind of shell, which I can't.
So why can't you use the rescue mode then? And why do you keep ignoring suggestions that relate to it? Are you trolling?
Maybe we're referring to different things as rescue mode. The rescue mode I have seen is one
of the boot options presented from the boot loader. Obviously, that's not available when the
boot loader hasn't been installed correctly.

User avatar
Head_on_a_Stick
Posts: 13450
Joined: 2014-06-01 17:46
Location: /dev/chair

Re: debian x86 install failed - bootloader-config

#23 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Read the link to the installation notes that I provided earlier, that explains how to use the rescue mode that is available from the ISO image.
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support

ddyer
Posts: 29
Joined: 2021-01-08 03:16

Re: debian x86 install failed - bootloader-config

#24 Post by ddyer »

Here's the result of booting the current live cd, and running the install item from the
desktop. Note that no network is set up at any point up to this message. Also
note this is on an old x32 laptop.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WtuRoJ ... sp=sharing

and as you can see here, the file system is in some intermediate loading state
and there's no grub-install in the path and no apparent advice about what to
do next.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HfPUt7 ... sp=sharing

User avatar
Head_on_a_Stick
Posts: 13450
Joined: 2014-06-01 17:46
Location: /dev/chair

Re: debian x86 install failed - bootloader-config

#25 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Those files are not accessible for me and I won't turn on javascript for a Google site anyway. Perhaps consider uploading them to a pastebin that doesn't want to run random code on my machine.
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support

ddyer
Posts: 29
Joined: 2021-01-08 03:16

Re: debian x86 install failed - bootloader-config

#26 Post by ddyer »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Those files are not accessible for me and I won't turn on javascript for a Google site anyway. Perhaps consider uploading them to a pastebin that doesn't want to run random code on my machine.
name one you like

mm3100
Posts: 147
Joined: 2020-10-21 21:39
Has thanked: 3 times

Re: debian x86 install failed - bootloader-config

#27 Post by mm3100 »


ddyer
Posts: 29
Joined: 2021-01-08 03:16

Re: debian x86 install failed - bootloader-config

#28 Post by ddyer »

Pastebin useless, it won't let me upload an image unless I pay them.
Tiring of the chase, I just uploaded to my own site.

http://real-me.net/210114-1429-27.jpg
http://real-me.net/210114-1433-46.jpg

arzgi
Posts: 800
Joined: 2008-02-21 17:03
Location: Finland
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: debian x86 install failed - bootloader-config

#29 Post by arzgi »

ddyer wrote:Pastebin useless, it won't let me upload an image unless I pay them.
https://pastebin.com/faq#11a

Code: Select all

How many pastes can I create?
The short answer is: as many as you like.

There are however some limitations to fight off spammers.

Guests can create up to 10 new pastes per 24 hours.
Free members can create up to 20 new pastes per 24 hours.
PRO members can create up to 250 new pastes per 24 hours.

Further limits are:
Guest can create unlimited 'public' pastes, unlimited 'unlisted' pastes, but can't create 'private' pastes.
Free members can create unlimited 'public' pastes, 10 'unlisted' pastes, 10 'private' pastes.
PRO members can create unlimited 'public' pastes, unlimited 'unlisted' pastes, unlimited 'private' pastes.

ddyer
Posts: 29
Joined: 2021-01-08 03:16

Re: debian x86 install failed - bootloader-config

#30 Post by ddyer »

On the same faq page

Can I post links & images?
We allow clickable links & images to be posted, but only by our PRO users. Reason is, to prevent abuse of this functionality. Via the Markdown language you can post images, links, make text big/small, include tables and much much more.

User avatar
Head_on_a_Stick
Posts: 13450
Joined: 2014-06-01 17:46
Location: /dev/chair

Re: debian x86 install failed - bootloader-config

#31 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support

arzgi
Posts: 800
Joined: 2008-02-21 17:03
Location: Finland
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: debian x86 install failed - bootloader-config

#32 Post by arzgi »

This is a discussion forum, so I think there is not need for images. Some new users have posted images of their displays which show some error message, which they could have written as well.

But you are free to disagree.

ddyer
Posts: 29
Joined: 2021-01-08 03:16

Re: debian x86 install failed - bootloader-config

#33 Post by ddyer »

we're getting a little off topic here - I posted a couple of images for good reason,
someone declined to view them "because javascript". I reposted the images.

I'd still like suggestions how to work around the bootloader error.

p.H
Posts: 1891
Joined: 2017-09-17 07:12

Re: debian x86 install failed - bootloader-config

#34 Post by p.H »

ddyer wrote:BTW, isn't there a way to run the install process WITHOUT formatting the disk and installing
a new boot loader?
Of course. The Debian installer offers all these options.
ddyer wrote:Maybe we're referring to different things as rescue mode. The rescue mode I have seen is one
of the boot options presented from the boot loader.
No, this is "recovery mode". Rescue mode is available in the Debian installer boot menu advanced options.
ddyer wrote:Tiring of the chase, I just uploaded to my own site.
This is the Calamares installer you can run from a graphic live session. Use the traditional Debian installer instead.

ddyer
Posts: 29
Joined: 2021-01-08 03:16

Re: debian x86 install failed - bootloader-config

#35 Post by ddyer »

p.H wrote: This is the Calamares installer you can run from a graphic live session. Use the traditional Debian installer instead.
I had other problems running the debian insaller from the cd image. Is the debian installer available from the live boot?

Post Reply